Has Paul Reed Smith ever spoken about Ed Roman?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nostang, Feb 19, 2017.

1. nostang

nostang Member

was watching some namm videos recently and paul reed smith seems like a cool guy, very personable and a great story teller, they kind of guy that you'd be proud to have as a friend, and seems to be accessable enough with the YouTube videos.

controversy about Ed roman aside, according to his site, his business model in 1994 was to sell only second hand prs guitars, if the lore is true, he and prs had at least some relationship from the early 90s or even the 80s. without getting into an Ed fest, was it true that Ed was a major seller or prs prior to them going mainstream? was Ed one of the early champions of prs?

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Ed was a premier PRS dealer when he was at East Coast Music, I got an amazing deal on a spanking new CE24 from him in the mid 90s.

Not really sure what happened between PRS and Ed though, Ed had a way of pissing people off though,,,,

3. Hogan/Guitars

Hogan/Guitars Member

Whatever happened good or bad on either side I don't see why he would address it, PRS is now what? one of the big 3 guitar manufacturers?

David Garner, JackStraw12 and derekd like this.
  4. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

When PRS shifted to larger neck heels, Ed Roman took that as an opportunity to try to convince people that they needed to pay him and his shop to replace the entire neck on their guitars so that their guitar would regain the "old PRS magic". He then went further and took the opportunity to launch his own line of guitars that he claimed were superior to PRS guitars.

FWIW- I've met PRS a couple of times. In front of crowds and cameras he definitely has the personable "common man guitar player/repair guy" stage persona, but the times I've been 1:1 with him he's consistently come off *to me* as aloof and prick-ly (in fairness these times have all been before West Coast retailer road show nights, where he's been traveling for awhile). Given my experiences and Ed Roman's claims, I would not be at all surprised if there were issues between them.

prodrigu, gerg6, Gevalt and 5 others like this.
  5. scott

scott Supporting Member

What I heard right from Ed was he got caught making copies. Mostly lefties and CE replacement bodies. PRS. Cut him off and Ed went on the defensive about the neck heels. That's why he was only selling second hand PRS guitars. Whatever Ed said has to be taken with a huge grain of salt, there was always an alterior motive with him. Even the story he told me was probably warped somehow in his favour. Whatever the real story is you know Ed was doing something skeezy.
    I actually liked talking to Ed, he was a funny guy and quite a character but I'd never do business with him. He always wanted the bigger half, and you get screwed.

6. standard24

standard24 Member

Ed's dead, baby. Ed's dead.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  7. 58flame

58flame Member

No camera and 1 on 1, not a personable chap at all. My buddy doesn't carry PRS guitars in his store any more due to a PRS in person visit. I'll never own another one now that I've seen what the guy is like. It's all about the $, not let's talk about old guitars or music. But rather, why isn't PRS the only guitar in the shop? Seriously?!?! If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes....

MBreinin, Gevalt, joebloggs13 and 6 others like this.
  8. derekd

derekd Member

That's putting it mildly.

I walked into his shop in Vegas once. Vowed to never go back. They acted like they weren't interested in selling guitars. I bought elsewhere.

9. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

Do you mind sharing your experience?

10. 58flame

58flame Member

I just shared it. The guy is an ego maniac all about himself. Wants you to sell only PRS. Asks why you even carry Fender and Gibson when PRS is so awesome. Doesn't want to talk about collecting old stuff. Doesn't want to talk about music. Wants to talk about how you can buy more PRS.

Yeah, that about sums it up. Turned me off for life. My money, my choice.

the_Chris, Aslan, Gevalt and 8 others like this.
  11. rsm

rsm Member

IDK PRS.

However, I had great experiences with Ed (RIP) at East Coast Music Mall; I never made it to the LV store. He always did right by me; you had to haggle and know what you were doing/buying, but that's true for many things IMO.

Always amusing, many fun stories, and it was like being in a candy store for me, I never had issues with trying anything in the store because he knew I'd buy something I liked, so did his staff. I purchased my guitar and bass ADA rigs from ECMM as well as many of my original Steinbergers and BC Rich USA guitars and basses back in the day. YMMV

12. Bogner

Bogner Member

Yeah but he has a new positioned toggle switch and different pickups....and that neck carve....you gotta try it. Seriously.

Electricaxe, WornFrets and 58flame like this.
  13. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

From what I read, Ed Roman and Paul had a falling out when Paul discovered that Ed was re-tooling PRS guitars. Ed would supposedly bring new PRS guitars into his machine shop and mill off the maple tops that they came stock from the factory with. Then Ed would re-top and re-finish the guitars with a maple top that had 3 or 4 times the flame or curl, and then sell them for the new retail price, plus a huge tacked-on premium that Ed would keep for himself. I also read that this was the reason why PRS went to the V-12 lacquer, because the formula was proprietary and would reveal if someone had tried to conceal such tampering with nitro or poly. Who knows how much of it is true.

jfeeney likes this.
  14. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

That sounds like a lot of work ......

15. Ghostmaker

Ghostmaker Member

Thanks for the response. In everything I've seen or heard about Paul, he comes off as a quirky but passionate guitar lover who respects other builders, and that was something I like. But as is often the case in the music world, there's a difference between the public and private personas.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  16. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Welcome to every business out there. That's how you succeed in a very competitive industry. I would be more surprised if he did just want to shoot the breeze

17. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

He tried to sell me a guitar I already owned. Not the same model......the actual guitar.

18. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

Ed was doing the re-topping even after he stopped being a PRS dealer. His rants would always badmouth PRS (and other brands). At one point he was trying to say that some PRS guitars that were brought for him to re-top had parts of their bodies made of Bondo (which is insane). I read a bunch of his rants on his site one day. In my opinion Ed was not entirely sane. There were conspiracy theories and so on. I think he may have been OK earlier in his life. I don't know how old he was but he definitely had signs of dementia. He was also making copy guitars at one point that he proudly said were better than the real thing. I honestly don't know why he never got sued though. I guess they just sent him 'Cease and Desist' letters.

kbgear likes this.
  19. 58flame

58flame Member

Well, I'll agree to disagree. Everyone is different. He lost a dealer that moved a decent amount of product, both domestic and import, and he lost a customer. Both are gone forever. As a business owner, I can tell you it's a lot less expensive to retain a customer than it is to gain a new one. So I'll disagree that this attitude is "every business out there".

20. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Ed Roman or PRS?

cj_wattage likes this.