Has Paul Reed Smith ever spoken about Ed Roman?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nostang, Feb 19, 2017.

1. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I've dealt with Ed since 1983 or so. He was always like that. Guitar enthusiast, carnival barker, con-man. Love him or hate him, you had to acknowledge his existence.

2. boog204

boog204 Supporting Member

Terry, sorry, I should have just let you tell the story. But again, I credit Ed's website for turning me onto your builds which to this day are the finest guitars I have ever played...

Terry McInturff likes this.
  3. musicman1

musicman1 Member

I went to ECMM once or twice. It was a gigantic warehouse sized building in danbury ct that iirc was slightly below the roadway in a small residential area. Maybe that was the former skating rink? I don’t remember a lake being there. I had seen ads in guitar player mag with dozens of gtrs on stands and knew i had to go. Anyway i went w a friend and was really just tire kicking. My buddy’s a keyboard player and he was getting some attention from a floor sales guy. Since that day i have never seen so many gibsons in one place and very few fenders. I dont recall seeing ed roman there but the sales guys behind the counter were disinterested and dismissive just like the 48th st nyc store guys were.

trap likes this.
  4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

No worries at all. And many thanks for your generous words, which are and will always be hard to live up to. Thank you!

Thumpalumpacus and boog204 like this.
  5. trap

trap Supporting Member

I don’t know who started ECMM but I remember at one point a luthier I knew from White Plains was the owner. Bought a Parker Mojo off of them.

6. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I have a PRS story that I will paraphrase from my memory as it was told to me. I DID verify the accuracy of this story with Paul himself, so that was enough for me.
    At GC before my stay there, a customer came in, sought out the senior guitar guy & asked if he could possibly order a new neck for his CE2x, which had a knot or something that caused it to be unstable, that he bought used. The salesman called PRS & was connected with Paul himself, as it was a small company at that time. Paul asked for some photos of the bad neck. A relatively short time later called back & left a message saying basically to find out what color he wants & to send the bad necked guitar back. The salesman called Paul back & stressed that the guitar was NOT bought new. Paul replied that it didn't matter. That should have never been shipped out & he was going to follow this problem to the source. The kid ended up with a new PRS replacing his used one. Now THAT'S integrity!
    I have always held back on telling of this because I didn't want to inspire every Joe Schmoe to call PRS with a made-up issue, but Paul DID impress on me that systems were implemented to assure this would never happen again.
    I've already relayed my semi-ER story...

Tony

IAO, Mark Ray, theon and 5 others like this.
  7. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

What I got from Ed Roman was a sort of odd discernment - that what is supposed to be good might not be and you need to verify it yourself by touching it and playing it. He was kind of over the top in a carnival barker type way as some have said and he could be a
    jerk to some and a nice guy to others. I pretty quickly realized I would not be a great customer of his - I never had the kinds of money
    that the super nice guitars he had demanded.

PRS on the other hand - he makes a lovely instrument. The two times I found one that I really wanted they both got bought out from
    under me by people with faster wallets than mine. Someday though.

8. DJ JD

DJ JD Member

Thank you for the amazing recap Mr. McInturff! It's very illuminating to hear straight from the horse's mouth. The quoted part is very mysterious, but understandable if you don't want to elaborate further.

9. Void_pointer

Void_pointer Member

Doesn’t it seem more likely here wrote “10” on non 10-tops are sold them as 10 tops?

10. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum Member

11. Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum Member

I met them, both.

Paul ... waaay back-in-the-day ... in Annapolis ... when he had some hair. Not quite nerdy ... but, somewhat.
    We mostly talked about the old Georgetown (D. C.) music scene. The old Bayou, The Keg, and the bands that played there (D. C.) ... the Telstars, Daddy Warbucks, Cherry People ... Punky Meadows, Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton.

Ed ... at a guitar show ( might have been out on Long Island ? ).
    He was a “character”, for certain. Kind of a “biker”-vibe about him: bad hair, tats, facial hair, etc.
    Definitely had the hottest babe of a wife! Wow !! She was “flirty”, and I loved it !
    I had my gal with me ... a young, eye-popping show-girl. There was a hostile, jealous vibe between the two. Interesting. Ed’s wife exuded sex, big time.

Ed and I talked about women. Never a word about guitars.
    We had our “priorities” ....

~ Pappy

12. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

I've been following Ed's exploits since my youth. Never had the guts to actually order anything from him, but still. PRS guitars in their youth were extremely well made guitars. More "furniture" like than even Gibson. Never could pull the trigger on one, either, because I've always felt they are just the best Gibson clone between Dean, Hamer and PRS.

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Absolutely. Running a profitable business, which building guitars is, is something to commend, not condemn. You play music WITH the guitar. You only build guitars as a business. Leo couldn’t even play if I recall.