Has the Long Play Format become obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by twinrider1, Mar 23, 2015.

1. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

Not talking about the physical format; vinyl vs. cd vs. cloud. I mean the concept of a collection of songs presented as one product. Are we headed to a time when the artist just releases singles?
    My kids don't buy albums, they just buy single songs they've heard on the radio or online. Kinda bums me out, but it seems to be heading that way.

2. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

A great song will always be a great song.
    We just used to get more of them with ONE purchase!
    :D

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Obsolete? No? Less relevant? Yes. That is a function of both the delivery system and the listening devices. It has its pluses and minuses but there are still lots of people making collections of music that are meant to be listened to as a complete package.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

That's the way it started out. Seems to be back to that now.

I think acts still like to have a record to tour behind, tho?

I also know it's really hard to get promo/airplay w/o a physical CD.

5. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I hope not. Often I have bought a cd/album for the "hit" song. Of course those are often the simplest song with a big "hook". It has often been the case that I find 2 or 3 much better (to me) and more complex songs on the album, that once listened to I really go into..
    "Just because MacDonalds sells more big Macs than any other burger doesn't mean it's the best burger out there..."

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

I don't think so. We have seemingly entered the world of the single again, but there has always been those that release a larger work to be enjoyed in it's entirety.

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

This is pretty much my thought, as well.

Also, it strikes me that the current delivery and consumption model is less about "singles" than it is about a la carte purchase of music. The difference is, in the singles area those were likewise proscribed and determined by gatekeepers equivalent to those who also made AOR a dominant consumer form. It strikes me that now people often download songs individually, but that a great many of those songs aren't "singles."

8. SombreroGrande

SombreroGrande Member

Rest assured the Album concept isn't going anywhere and 15 year old don't control the musical universe.

9. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

I'm can imagine a situation in which the label wanted an artist to tour this Summer, but they didn't have a full album worth of songs. So they just release a few songs to iTunes, etc. and hit the road. I guess that happens now to sometimes. I can just see it becoming more common. Why hold back hits waiting for filler that's good enough.

10. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Ach, will sorrows never cease?

11. bonegrubber

bonegrubber Supporting Member

^^^^
    Great post.

12. JonRock

JonRock Member

maybe next will be the "concept single?" Queensryche still active?

13. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

I can't imagine a "singles-only" artist succeeding. Putting out two or three songs per year? I can't imagine booking a tour with...only one released song. Or, three. Maybe if you went back to a Motown-style arrangement, where you had the face/voice and some studio musicians, but given that kids (the singles market) don't pay to buy music, those micro-pennies for streams from Spotify aren't going to add up to acts making enough to live on.

Listening to just singles is like eating appetizers and deserts as your meals, all the time.