Has the word "Hipster" jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by micycle, Mar 5, 2015.

1. micycle

micycle Member

I've lived in Brooklyn NY for 5 years now. To those not familiar with the area and just assume that it's wall-to-wall hipsters, Brooklyn also contains humans of the non-hipster variety. You'd be surprised. I'd say it's about a 20 non-hipster to 1 hipster ratio in my neighborhood.

I just saw in another thread where a guy in a video clip was referred to as a hipster. He was only in it for a few seconds, here's the best screen grab I could get:

[​IMG]

To me that looks nothing like the self-entitled hipster folk I see moseying around Williamsburg and the other hipster dense areas of the city. The clothes are far too baggy and look like he got them from the Kohl's or JC Penney men's department, there's no obnoxious eyeglasses, the hair looks like he went to SuperCuts and got the $8 special, and he's got a long way to go with that beard before it's even close to being hipster-worthy. He almost looks like Footloose-era Kenny Loggins. To the user who called the guy a hipster, if you read this I'm not trying to start sh*t, it just made me think Man, if that guy's a hipster I guess I'm one too then!

Between that and a lot of other hipster comments I've either heard or read lately and sort of miss the mark, has the word "hipster" jumped the shark? Is it time to retire it? Why all of the hate, and what have hipsters done to you? Just let people be what they want to be if it's not causing any sort of harm upon you or your family.

I'm 41, married and although I have a beard and glasses I've had them for over 20 years. So don't think I'm here to defend the hipster folk because I am one or anything, I live near hipster Central and often share bills with hipster bands. Much like the Orthodox Jews they seem to just want to do their thing and be left alone. I'm just curious. That and I'm really bored at work today trying to ignore the snowstorm.

2. option1

option1 Member

I await with bated breath the requisite TGP thread, "Has the phrase 'Jumped the Shark' jumped the shark?"

Neil

3. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I thought it was someone who had a hip replacement.

4. micycle

micycle Member

CLOSE. Here's my personal artistic interpretation of the word:

[​IMG]

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I made that remark and I live near hipster central in Los Angeles. There are all kinds of hipsters...there's the poser type, the trust fund type and the actual thing. I think the term has jumped the shark, but the guy in that video looks like a typical fixie riding, PBR drinking, ironic T-shirt wearing, "hipster" to me.

And before I get tagged as a hipster hater, there are some I consider friends. There are also the litter bug, smug-ass POSes that don't even live here but dump their empty coffee cups and PBR cans in our neighborhood that I'd like to see wiped off the streets of Melrose and Silverlake.

6. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

Post-hipster

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

hey,, I got my black rimmed glasses before anyone else!!!

8. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

It's yet to go the way of the dodo

(which is an expression, incidentally, hasn't quite gone the way of the dodo)

9. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

You're a hipster hugger!

10. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Hipster jumped the shark when Warby Parker opened bricks and mortar, when Mumford & sons got spoofed, the unemployment rate went back down, and bed-stuy actually showed some gentrification.
    Anyone seen my safety razor?

The big question is what's going to replace the Doucheoisie, Fauxhemians, Pabstsmears, Probos (professional hobos), Trendsluts?

11. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

The guy in that picture looks like a FARC guerrilla making his way back to camp after shooting up a police station in Columbia.

I guess that's not too much of a stretch from that whole Che Guevara revolutionary chic.

12. micycle

micycle Member

I guess as far as the whole hipster thing goes, as a child of the 70s/80s I'm still coming to terms with the fact that the word "preppy" doesn't seem to exist anymore. :(

13. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Hipster? No. Homeless? Maybe.

14. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

You do know what the P is for in yuppie, yes? lol

15. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

The term never has meant much to me. It is just a vague label applied to young people trying to stand out in the crowd. Young people have always tried to do that, and it has always looked stupid to older people.

16. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Does anyone read the Newspaper Comic 'Nancy'?

Aunt Fritzie's BF Phil Fumble, in an attempt to impress her, has adopted a new Hipster look...skinny suit, new hairdo, and cool glasses.

Aunt Fritzi is really hot.

17. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

Did hipsters evolve from hippies? Enquiring minds want to know. :dunno

18. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

I'm old.....yes, I know.

But when I hear "that word", my mind goes here & only here:

[​IMG]

19. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Not to disparage another forum member, but there used to be a guy who relished in the screen name...

"Hipster Doofus"

I kind of like the name...

20. pgoon

pgoon Member

has the phrase 'jumped the shark' jumped the shark? I agree hipster is often misused :)