Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Shades of Blue, Dec 3, 2019 at 2:09 PM.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Supporting Member

So, I sat down on Saturday to play my Les Paul through my Marshall Origin and was having a blast. 10 minutes later, I was done and ready to move on to something else. I have been playing guitar for over 21 years, but I just don't enjoy playing alone any more, and when I do play I want to be playing with others. I see no need for me to play electric any more, and would rather just play acoustic if I'm by myself.

Has anyone else just lost interest in electric guitar due to their personal situation? I just feel like I've given it all the time I can and I feel like electric guitar doesn't have anything else to offer me in life. I still want to pursue it, but I feel that my time is better spent on acoustic.

Also, my heart is telling me join the Praise Band at church, but I know that between work, family, and my pursuit of my MBA that playing in a band isn't even a possibility for at least another 3-4 years, if I ever get back to that point.

I'm kind of depressed about it in all honesty. Playing the guitar just reminds me of what I'd rather be doing, but I just don't have the time or money to do it anymore.

2. Zado

Zado Member

Yep, that's why I play with people, and when I play at home I'm learning songs or improving technique and playing. You need a goal.

3. Shepard man

Shepard man Member

I go through phases. Right now I'm enjoying the acoustic more but I know that the electric itch will come calling again. I'm also always trying to learn new material so maybe that's why.

Billy Van Beck likes this.
  4. spencer096

spencer096 Member

so leave your job and family.

[​IMG]

5. Shades of Blue

HA! I laughed at that one!

sonic1974 and spencer096 like this.
  6. Shades of Blue

You know, a goal would be nice. I played in church for 5 years and really enjoyed it, but I got burned out. If I ever did play again at church, I'd want to be on a rotational basis and not an every week kind of guy. Playing every week with a family, full time job, and college work is draining.

7. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I enjoy playing by myself. It's better than not playing at all. And I play both electric and acoustic.

8. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Use a looper and or drum machine.

slider, robbierobnj and Brooks like this.
  9. Zado

Zado Member

It doesn't have to be something that will force you. Playing with friends is the key, if that day you can't or you don't want to play music it should not be a problem. The secret is: find band members you love to play with, staying with them should be the couple of hours you have been waiting for all week.

10. Brian N

Brian N Member

Been there. I went several years without picking up my guitar more than a few times. I often just dont have the motivation to keep going, since IMO I'm not really good enough to play in a band and I dont know many people who would jam with me. Right now I'm playing at church once or twice a month so that's motivating me to pick it up and practice some.

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Blue, just keep playing that acoustic for now.

I suggest, the time will come again when you want to reach for the electric. There will be periods when the acoustic is the better path, but IMO they don't last. Then, you're back. Or, you will get an invitation out of nowhere to play electric with others.

12. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I sold my last electric after owning it a week because I was in denial about the fact that I don't like playing electric guitar alone. I can play my acoustic alone and like playing it alone and solo, and do so daily, but an electric just doesn't excite me by itself. I'm pretty sure I'm done with electrics for good and I only need this one acoustic.

Shades of Blue likes this.
  13. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Id say join a band that only gigs 4 times or whatever per year.

That way you have the option to rehearse as much or as little as you want but, you get to keep your toes in the water and gigs help a ton with motivation.

The church band would be cool but waaaay too much commitment. Besides, do they even drink beer?

14. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

24 TRK DAW and a Drum Machine is my suggestion. Winter can be long!

15. fitz

fitz Member

I go through ebbs and tides. Usually I am into electric guitar being an at home player with weekend jams at the house with my drummer. But sometime it slides away for a month or so with little playing, no inspiration etc. I pick up the acoustic at times & do a little songwriting then, or absolutely nothing. After time, I get a new inspiration & the playing begins. I've become so accustom to it over 40+ years, it bothers me very little these days.

Mark VerMurlen likes this.
  16. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

You're not alone. There's nothing unique, or remotely interesting about playing an electric guitar. Not anymore. From the 1950's to mid 80's, rock musicians were looked as outcasts of society... and many of us were.

Our band played a this particular party, which prompted an incursion by local law enforcement:
    http://weirdus.com/states/florida/personalized_properties/american_dreyfus/index.php

"...because of their on-going protest, anytime the slightest incident occurred in the neighborhood, the police would immediately assume it was the Walker family. Major Walker recounted how on March 29, 1985, a sheriff’s swat team raided his property in response to a bonfire that was set by kids in the park across the street. He says it was an over-reaction to a minor affair and before it was over at least 70 deputies showed up. It was on that occasion according to Walker, that the deputies invaded his property and tried to take the upside down flag from his 91 foot pole."

We ran power from the Walker house (to the park across the street) to power our gear. It wasn't a bonfire that drew the ire of law enforcement... It was sweet sound of heavy rock music! A couple of Grover's boys covered themselves in axle grease to prevent law enforcement from getting ahold of them. Hilarious! They let most of us go, while others were arrested. It was crazy! Smoke grenades were popping-off everywhere. We weren't into Walker's politics... we just wanted to play. I think we got three songs in, and then the hammer came down. They weren't trying to take down the inverted flag. They went up the tower to apprehend his kids; who were throwing water balloons at them.

Anyway... You're not going to be missing-out on anything. Today's rock scene is pathetic. The bar has been lowered to such an extent, that the vast majority of players don't even realize that they suck. Drop B tuning and 4th interval chugging against vocalists who have no earthly buisness on a rock stage. If it's not that, it's sequenced, sampled, and quantized pop-rock garbage. No one is willing to push boundries, and no one cares.

I would keep an electric around, just in case you get the urge to rock-out. I'm looking at getting a nice Taylor acoustic for Christmas this year.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 3:52 PM
    Shades of Blue likes this.
  17. john_ciampa

john_ciampa Member

Have you heard of TrueFire.com by any chance? It’s an instructional platform with advanced (and also beginner and everything in between) material from some truly great professionals (Robben Ford and Larry Carlton are my favorites, but there’s church-oriented teachers too).

Obviously not going to be a substitute for being in a band, but if you’re looking for some positive energy and new stuff to try and only have 30-60 mins a week or whatever the case may be, it’s by far the best internet resource I’ve come across. Beats the heck out of trying to learn from most of the YT instructional videos I’ve watched (with a few noteable exceptions). A lot of it is free, just sift through some courses and most have a number of free lessons.

I’ve only been playing for 2 years now but - if I couldn’t learn or grow I’d probably have quit well before now. Good inspiration can help with all that at any level I’d guess..

18. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I’m also struggling to find motivation to play my electric guitars. I do use my looper and drum machine occasionally to jam with, but get bored quickly. I recently bought a 12-fret 000-size acoustic, and love playing it. This is the first time I’ve ever had more than one acoustic guitar at a time. I also bought an acoustic amp. I seem to really be leaning toward acoustic lately, which is strange for me. I’ve even been spending much more time playing mandolin. The only time I play with others is at church, and that’s always acoustic. I hate to think about it, but it might be time to consider selling some nice electric guitars and amps. But I’m not going to rush into anything. I’m only 67, so I have a few good years left. (Hopefully)

19. Robert Libutti

Robert Libutti Member

I've found the Digitech Trio to be oddly inspiring. It's very basic, sometimes sounds weird, but is so intuitive and easy to use that I've been known to jam over the same stupid beat for 20 minutes. EZ Drummer is a lot of fun too. For a few weekends, every Saturday, I'd pick a groove, generate a drum track, and just do a one take recording over it. It was fun.