Has your PRS core 594 been worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JDaniels, Apr 7, 2020.

1. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

I called a local shop about 7 weeks ago asking if they were bringing in the new 594 S2. They said they were, but not sure when it would arrive. They gave me a 3-7 month window, but I’m sure that will be extended now. I haven’t been keeping up with every thread here, but has anyone heard of the PRS factory is closed for the time being.

This bring me to another shop (saw online) that has a used core 594 for $4k (Canadian) which is not a bunch less than what they go for new, $4800. I’ve sold a bunch of gear totalling around $2500 the last couple months and I’m thankful to still have a good job so I wouldn’t have a problem absorbing the extra cost. But it’s still a pile of money for a guitar. I only play out of the house about once a week and rarely for money. I have some nice gear already and have had a few Gib Les Paul’s (my current #1 is a ‘16 Traditional) and a older core McCarty. However, all that said, in my mind, the 594 seems to be the pinnacle of the LP style guitar and I kind of really want one.

So, talk me off the edge, or push me over. For those of you who have pulled the trigger, would you do it again? How does it compare to your other high end guitars or even those well playing, upgraded sub $1000 guitars. I should mention, I’m playing primarily classic rock to P&W through my ‘81 JMP 2203 and Greenbacks. Thanks for the discussion in a time where there’s not much else to do.

2. Thwap

Thwap Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've had two of them, and played many more.
    I'm lucky to have a pretty serious dealer locally.
    I've really not played a bad one, their consistency is amazing.

If you've played one, and like the vintage pattern neck, there's no way you go wrong.
    Unfortunately, I'm a Les Paul guy at heart, and went back that way.

They're beautiful, incredibly well made, and unless you're an idiot like me, a guitar you'd never need, or want to part with.

3. Mtt02263

Mtt02263 Supporting Member

I would try to find a used core over an S2. The core is as good as a modern style Les Paul gets IMO. There is literally nothing to fault in the design. Doesn't sound exactly like a Historic, but it's trying to do something a little different anyways and it does it so well.

JDaniels likes this.
  4. ieso

ieso Member

I have a 594 McSoapy. It's ridiculously good.

strangec, JohnSykes and Serious Poo like this.
  5. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

To be honest I’ve been listening to a pile of shootout clips and videos the last couple weeks and I’d describe the difference in sound between a LP and a 594 as no more pronounced than the difference between covered and uncovered humbuckers in the same guitar. While I can imagine the playability of the 594 is significantly better.

strangec, clmazza, Roe and 1 other person like this.
  6. 21Hemispheres12

21Hemispheres12 Member

I had been looking at 594s since 2016 and finally last summer a wood library semi hollow popped up used and I jumped on it. It’s the most I’ve ever spent on a guitar and I already had a few PRS and a custom shop Les Paul. I’m mostly a home player but play out with a band once in awhile so was the 594 overkill? Yea, but really every guitar I own is since I could get by perfectly fine on an Epiphone.

I’ve learned to not rationalize guitars by skill level or if I’m gigging or not, guitar has always been my obsession in life so if buying top tier ones make me happy and I can afford it then I don’t see a problem with it.

To answer your question the 594 was completely worth it and it has become my favorite guitar I’ve ever played. Just opening up the case and seeing it still makes me excited which no other guitar has continually done for me before. If you can swing it I’d say just go for a used core instead of an S2 so you aren’t tempted to upgrade down the road.

Unexplainedbacon likes this.
  7. JDaniels

JDaniels Member

Thanks for sharing that. You and I sound like almost the same guy when it comes to playing guitar and gear choices.

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

There really are some great deals to be had on the used market. For example, I just picked up a ridiculously gorgeous used Private Stock 594 SC Soapy for the price of new Core 594. It sounds and plays amazing, and has much better intonation and fretwork than any Les Paul I’ve ever owned.

tdarian and clmazza like this.
  9. Silverburst11

Silverburst11 Member

I had 9 guitars in my collection. I sold eight and bought three McCarty 594s, and would absolutely do it again. Reverb has new core 594s starting under $2,600. As the post above mentions, great used deals to be had too.

Roe and AustinIsPresent like this.
  10. WayneM

WayneM Member

I tried several double cut 594s- did not do a thing for me (played great but the sound did not blow me over).
    However, when I tried a non-10 single cut (thicker body and 8.2#) I loved it and bought it. I own many high end guitars and this one is a welcome addition.
    [​IMG]

11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Had a Wood Library 594 that played and felt amazing but only sounded "ok" to me. Traded it...

On paper, it's pretty much the perfect PRS for me and I have owned about 25 PRS. Sadly my example didn't cut it. Probably was just that particular one.

tdarian likes this.
  12. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I'm really curious to try the 594 S2 models at some point. I like my Les Paul Tribute a fair amount but head over heels for my PRS CE-24. I feel like a hardtail version would be amazing but that 594 is really close.

I had an S2 Mira and it was really well built and a great guitar except for it sounded really dark and bassy. It was all mahogany so I think that's the driving factor. Ended up selling it exclusively because of the tone.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  13. dankingjr

dankingjr Member

I had one in Tobacco Sunburst (a singlecut) and liked it pretty well. I bought it used off Reverb for a bargain.

I sold it a couple months after I got it. It was a really nice guitar and of course very well made, but it was pretty heavy and I just didn't bond with it. I think @paintguy has it right: On paper it should be perfect, but the sound and feel just was not right.

If I were going to spend $4K on a Les Paul style guitar (which I will again one day) I would spring for an R8. There is something about Gibson's VOS finish that just does it for me. The smell, the look, the feel - I just like them better.

14. clmazza

clmazza Silver Supporting Member

I’m sold on the 594’s... all incarnations. My two SC’s are spectacular. A Wood Library from 2017 and a new 2020.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. JohnSykes

JohnSykes Member

Cant recommend the DC594 enough (never tried the SC). Its so so good, honestly. The pickups are stellar, low gain, high gain (not sure about low tuning, but handles drop D easily), lead, rhythm, clean jazzy stuff, you name it. The neck is super comfortable and the guitar itself is super light.

It doesnt have the LP lows or body, but it does have that big Tele sound, and many describe that tone as the vintage LP sound (i wouldnt know, never tried one). If you play classic rock, lets say Zep, you cant go wrong.

16. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I had an '02 Darkburst R9, a good looking classic flamed-but not over the top LP; bought it new for a stupid good deal, it had spent 18 months on the wall of a small independent dealer. I kept it till last year, I had not been playing it much for in the last 10 years. I sold it for a modest profit and got a DC 594 which is miles past the R9 in playability and build quality. It does not have the lowest lows of an LP but it's not far off, in fact it's just far off enough, as a result it cuts much better in a live band mix than the LP. I totally agree with JohnSykes above that it really crunch's and overdrives like a big vintage Tele, 1st Led Zep LP Tele to be exact, which works just fine for me. IME, LP's get low enough to begin infringing on the top end of the Bass guitar - that's a fight the Bass will win every time and that "hi-bass" range tends to get mushy fast with too many instruments fighting for the same tone freq niche (a two guitar, Bass & Keys band for instance- pwr Trio's are a diff. thing and cleaner live). I do like a LP, I got a Faded Studio to scratch that unique LP tone itch - all the LP tone, none of the bling.
    I even went for a solid color 594 instead of a flamed top, my dealer called his rep in Maryland who sent a phone pic of the only solid color they had in stock, I jumped on it - I've never seen this color offered in the solid metallic colors they offer on the website for the last two years, but I did find my 594 color on a used 2017 S2 CU22 "Firemist Red Metallic:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  17. gwayne

gwayne Member

ABSOLUTELY worth it. I bought mine in November and it continues to make me very happy every time I play it. I also have an R7 Goldtop w/Seth Lovers and while they aren't exact in tone - they are pretty close. But the neck on the 594 is amazing. I go for the 594 every time. I usually play through a Friedman PT-20 and Germino 4-12. SO much fun and lots of flavors of OD from the amp plus an OCD and Suhr Riot to take it over the top. Sounds fantastic through this rig. The 594 was the most expensive guitar I've bought in the last 20 years. It was worth every penny. Doesn't look half bad either:
    [​IMG]

18. ILookLikeElvis

ILookLikeElvis Member

Very happy with mine, purchased about a month ago. I wanted an LP ish tone, and it nails that in all the ways that matter, to me, and I dig the split tones too. It's very responsive too - you need to interact with th volumes and tones to appreciate what it can do.

I've got 2 other electrics - a Strat and a much more expensive Alembic - and the PRS fits nicely in the lineup.

Craftsmanship-wise it is in zip code of the Alembic too, though the Alembic is very different (neck-thru vs set, not carved top but "sandwich" body construction, muti-laminate neck, etc).

Bottom line, sounds fantastic and plays great, very worth the price IMO. But be sure you like the neck carve.

19. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I had a beautiful Core 10 top 594 Semi, and unloaded it after 3 months.
    While I respect PRS gear and find it as close to flawless as can be, they are just not my cup of tea.

I much prefer Gibson Custom Shop gear, with what some refer too as the flawed peghead design, and all.

Thwap likes this.
  20. gutz_3110

gutz_3110 Member

Hi, Im thinking of getting this brand new PRS McCarty 594 in Japan late this year, hopefully. Is this the 594 "Core" and not S2 or SE? I thought PRS Core starts at around $3,500, brand new. Perhaps not a"10 top" hence the cheaper price? Appreciate your inputs.

https://reverb.com/item/32993639-prs-mccarty-singlecut-594-black-gold-wrap-burst-s-n-0266590-3-85kg