• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Haters gonna hate, but "Original 58 Paul X PRS SE" shootout

Ape Factory

That video has been discussed here before, it's been out for some time. Swap the '58 pups into the Mardsen SE. Then we have a discussion on our hands.

Hawking

Yeah I'm wondering about a pickup swap as well. But there was certainly a very clear difference between the two and for me one was obviously preferable, so I'm not sure what OP means by "haters."

Stratburst70

Yeah, I'd prefer to hear the SE loaded with either some Antiquities or Seth Lovers before I'd call it a competition.

But the Marsden SE hangs pretty well with the '58 for a guitar that doesn't even crack the $1k mark. PRS is doing great things these days.

ieso

I'd probably like the LP better w/o the backing track but within the context of the mix I actually think the PRS sounds better.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Very clear difference ($500,000 difference?) and of course the Beast sounds better. But they are in the same vein and likely not distinguishable by a lay person, or even in a live performance setting.

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
That's world's apart, if you care about this stuff.

Amazing, really, that nobody can't seem to get this right still.

Blue Light

Good entertainment. There are other factors besides the guitars, however. The signal chain and Bernie's hands, for starters. We've all read those stories about Eric Clapton picking up a piece o' junk guitar and sounding just like Eric Clapton! Well, this is a good advertisement for Bernie. And course for PRS, who get to take another shot at Gibson by reminding folks that budget line sounds so good next to one of Gibson's legends.

Seegs

That's world's apart, if you care about this stuff.

Amazing, really, that nobody can't seem to get this right still.
Not really amazing...people are going to hear what they want to hear and then justify it in a way that suits them...

Hard to be objective...especially with a 1/2 million price tag...

Also everybody hears differently and has different experience and abilities with regards to what they want to hear...it makes objectivity impossible in this realm...some can pick things out and others can't or won't...

If it were me I would sell the beast and give my famiily a better life...

Seafoam Green

The '59 sounds a LOT better to me, but I will echo what most others have said - put some Antiquities in the PRS and it will be a much closer call.

Coldacre

wankers gonna wank

The '59 sounds a LOT better to me, but I will echo what most others have said - put some Antiquities in the PRS and it will be a much closer call.
it's a silly argument because you could put a pair of Seth Lovers in a Les Paul Studio or an Epi and it would be better value than the PRS.

'Better', as always, is entirely subjective. I'm sure that there are some original bursts that sound 'better' than Bernie's...

Reactions: C-4

Tweedman

IMO the Les Paul just has that "it" tone. The SE isn't bad at all but I could listen to the '59 all day.

C-4

Beyond the sound, it's also the tactile sensation of each guitar which is also going to affect how you play.
While the 2 guitars are close enough now in a mix, pickup swap or not, who would be foolish enough to prefer the PRS to a 59 burst in the real world, unless you just don't know any better?!

Beyond the sound, it's also the tactile sensation of each guitar which is also going to affect how you play.
While the 2 guitars are close enough now in a mix, pickup swap or not, who would be foolish enough to prefer the PRS to a 59 burst in the real world, unless you just don't know any better?!
In the real world a '59 burst won't be out gigging down your local pub and would likely be languishing in a safe somewhere, not doing what it was designed to do. Given that scenario the PRS wins for me.

Trending Topics