Hats off To Ben Fargen! VOS is great!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve Snider, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

And to my buddy Cliff Cultreri for selling me this amp. Just was able to have my wife take the kid and let me have some quality time with my VOS that arrived today. Packed incredibly well with great looking black tolex and an amp that sounds freaking killer.

I think the amp does need to be turned up to be fully appreciated. Up on this means master above 9:00. I run the volume high . Full up and use the volume on my guitar for the range of tones.

This amp kills. Super responsive and what a joy to play. It is really fat sounding but isn't farty in the low end. Amazing sustain and touch sensitivity but again needs to be turned up a little so you get the interaction between the power and preamp stage. It is a great sound. HUGE. As Mikey G told me, it feels and responds like a Trainwreck but sounds more like a Dumble and a bit of Marshall.

I ran it through a big Bogner 2X12 with V30s and it killed.

Great amp!

Thanks Guys!!!

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Congratulations on your new amp. Ben's a great guy and fantastic builder. Play loud and live large!

3. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

The old trick of running an attenuator in parallel works really well with this amp. I have 2- 8 ohm and one 16 ohm tap. I run the mass in one 8 ohm tap with no speaker attached and one V30 in the other. Then use the DI out on the mass to the wet side. Love that set-up along with Cliff's EQ setting. Can't get enough of that Fargen stuff!

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Steve - I didn't know that the MASS was designed to take the whole load on its own w/o a speaker...? At least not my older MASS(es).

Just went to WeberVST and now I see that the newer models will take the load. Kewel!!

5. Stevo57

Si. Turn the level all the way off or to full attenuation.
    I have a very short attenuation span I'm told.:D

6. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Yeah, I haven't had a huge amount of time with the amp, btu I'm really enjoying it so far.

The tone stack really allows you to transform the tone, more than almost any amp I've tried. It doesn't seem to have a signature 'tone theme' that cannot be dialed out. For example, certain amps have a low mid thing going on, that is *ALWAYS* present, no matter how you tweak it.

I can make this amp sound like a Wreck, a Dumble, and a Marshall, in varying degrees. Pretty cool.

I'm looking for suggestions for clean tones .... how do you guys set it for the best cleans??

7. Stevo57

For cleans you'll probably need a Strat into the low input with the master up and the volume around noon or below. Cleans are gorgeous.

8. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I was hoping the amp would clean up well enough from the guitar volume that I wouldn't need to resort to such measures. My only niggle about the amp (being a 1 channel affair and all).

9. Stevo57

You can also put a 12at7 in V2 if you need more cleans overall, but it does take away a lot of the aggressiveness you can get with the volume knob on your guitar.

10. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

-
    Cool! Sounds like a great amp Steve!

Yeah, I'm a firm believer in using the entire neighborhood as my attenuator! :dude

11. joel

joel Member

Darn! FedEx has come and gone, but I still don't have a new amp for the weekend. I guess Monday will be the day...

12. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Me too Kelly. In fact my neighbors are damn lucky!:dude

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Well, I found a good sweet spot for cleans.... if you use the low input, you still great great OD with the vol/master dimed, but you also get much better cleans when backing down the guitar's volume.

I was just A/B'ing against my Wreck-style amp. They can be made to sound very similar. The Wreck amp has much more top end and shimmer. The VOS is smoother, but has enough bite to sound very Marshally. They respond very similarly, though. It's eerie how they feel the same.

The VOS gets a *KILLER* Santana Europa lead tone, BTW, wow! ....

14. Stevo57

What speakers and cab and you using MikeyG ?

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

An Aiken 4x12 w/2 G12H30s and 2 CL80s.... it's a pretty bright cab, but works great with the VOS.

16. Stevo57

I'm not a fan of V30s except in this amp. They sound exceptional. I've tried a FANE AXA12, 2 G12h30's (55 and 75 hz mix) and the single V30 in the matching cab. The V30 is the hands down winner for my taste, but I can't wait to check it out through Rick Huffs Vox Sovereign with 4 blues. Maybe tomorrow if Rick can break away from cranking out those trem's.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'm bringing it to a friend's tonight, so I'll hear it with some different cabs ... one is a Marshall basketweave ....