Hats Off To Steely Dan...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by T92780, Feb 19, 2015.

1. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

for the great music, but still have enough demand to charge $204.40 per seat. What's unique... to me, every seat in the house is $204.40 regardless of location.

Reference: Humphreys Concert By The Bay (San Diego, CA) April 18th.

EDIT: Looks like on following nights show, where more seats are open, seats in the first few rows go for $440.00 ea.

2. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

Yes, well that is pretty much a dinner theater. At the Santa Barbara County Bowl you get front row for $134.60 and last row for $55.55. There is not a really bad seat in the house. I took this while leaning on the barrier at the stage. Last year during the Chris Robinson Brotherhood set opening for Ratdog.

[​IMG]

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I think they will demand big bucks as long as they choose to tour.

In my top 5 band list of all time...

Are you with me, Dr. Wu?

S.
    j

4. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I need to catch a show at SB County Bowl, never been oddly.

5. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

It is my experience that anything by the ocean at least doubles in cost.

6. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Are HOT PRETZLES still 15 ¢ ?

7. thelatrobe33

thelatrobe33 Member

I just saw they were playing this summer at Blossom Music Center near me. That venue holds 23,000 people. Elvis Costello is on the bill also. I took my dad to see them play Aja in it's entirety a couple years ago and it was killer. I've got a sneaking suspicion they won't sell out 23,000 tickets though.

8. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Saw Talking Heads at Blossom on the Speaking In Tongues tour. Great show, great outdoor amphitheater.

9. thelatrobe33

thelatrobe33 Member

It's a great venue, but they've had a hard time coming up with any shows worth seeing the last few years. The last one I saw there was The James Gang:aok

10. m.e.

m.e. Freelance Bio-exorcist Silver Supporting Member

One of my favorite bands of all time. I've seen them three times since 2003. I saw them do 'The Royal Scam' start to finish on the Rent Party Tour. What a great show that was.

11. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Gold Supporting Member Vendor

If nothing else, getting to know Walter & Nite Bob a little and getting backstage at a couple of SD shows has made this pickup madness all worthwhile! Everyone I've met on their crew and associated with them have been really cool, actually. Not to mention Elliott Randall.

Oh, and exchanging Spinal Tap lines with Walter...

Haven't had the balls to say anything to Donald, though. I kind of nodded at him once on the way into the bathroom at SIR, but that was as close as I've come.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  12. jerrycasemusic

jerrycasemusic Member

Monstrous band. Huge respect.

13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

LOVE Steely Dan....glad they're touring.....VERY happy that I saw them at Starwood several years ago.....one of the best concerts I've been to.

14. standard24

standard24 Member

You do know that 97.2% of that ticket price is Ticketmaster's service fee, don't you?

15. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Possibly the best "mainstream radio hit" band, ever.
    Although not technically a band, but a "band" by 2015 standards.

16. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

thelatrobe33 most interesting thing I've read today....... worth hijack.

Rolling Rock “33” Theories
    There were exactly 33 steps from the brewmaster’s office to the brewing floor.
    The reservoir that was used by the brewery for its main water source was fed by 33 streams.
    The list of ingredients on the label – water, malt, rice, hops, corn, brewer’s yeast – totals 33 letters (not counting the commas or the apostrophe).
    The brewery workers were members of the Local #33 union.
    The highest level that can be attained by a Freemason is 33rd degree (maybe the Latrobe’s were Freemasons?).
    Legend has it that the Rolling Rock brewery was started with money won at the horse track. The winning bet was placed on #33, "Old Latrobe," and that is why there is a horse and the "33" on the bottle.
    It was the 33rd version of the recipe that became what is now Rolling Rock. This one may have come about because of the Jack Daniels label. It states "Old Number 7" on the label in reference to the 7th attempt at its recipe.
    The "33" represents the fabulous day that prohibition was repealed – December 5, 1933. Now that’s a holiday worth celebrating… why don’t we get that day off work?
    And the most popular and most likely version…Rolling Rock Label "33"
    The "33" represents the number of words in the slogan on the bottle:
    Rolling Rock – From the glass lined tanks of Old Latrobe, we tender this premium beer for your enjoyment as a tribute to your good taste. It comes from the mountain springs to you.
    Now even this version has some controversy and multiple versions itself. From what we have been able to gather, it may have happened like this….
    Our main source here is Latrobe Brewing’s past CEO, James Tito. Apparently Mr. Tito became very interested in this legend as well and began reviewing notes and speaking to members of the Latrobe family about it. After all of his research, Mr. Tito has been quoted as believing the 33 was left on the label by accident during the printing process.
    There was apparently some disagreement on what the label should look like and what it should say, including an argument on how long the slogan should be. Eventually the family settled on the 33 word slogan that remains today (see above), and during the discussions of its length someone wrote "33" on the copy.
    This label was then sent to the printer and was mistakenly thought to be part of the copy itself. Before the error could be discovered, a very large number of bottles were printed. Since this was the Depression (1939) and Rolling Rock paints their label directly on the bottles, it would have be extremely expensive to discard this batch of bottles and reprint them all. It is also important to note that bottles back then were cleaned and reused multiple times, which may explain why future runs of the bottles kept the "33".

Live near Blossom as well. $440.00 is too rich for my blood.

17. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

My seats at the Wells Fargo Center where I live were $150. That's for lower level center, 12 rows from the stage. Good times!

18. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Aja played on the radio just this moring. Pure genius! Let those guys charge what they want. I cant afford it but they deserve every frikken penny.

19. celticelk

celticelk Member

Saw them in Detroit in '93, on the first night of their first tour in 20 years. Awesome show. I still have my Aja-cover tour shirt, in fact, though it's showing its age more than a little.

20. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

WTF ;
    IS this some phantom TGP ??? Those guys are supposed to be self-absorbed , greedy old rock stars for wanting that much scratch !!! ( guess they didn't complain out loud about lost media revenue like Don Henley or Metallica ??)

Back to the regularly scheduled luv fest ;

Yup , gotta love the DAN ( Except for "show Business Kids " ) That track can be used instead of water-boarding ....