Hats off to the Emplexador II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by elektroglide, Jun 27, 2008.

1. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

this amp is for me the most successful amp at doing what it is designed for that i know of. it's the single most pleasing purchase i have made in 20 odd years of pro music, and the one which has exceeded the hype most satisfyingly.

i unpacked the amp (50W), plugged it in to a large size bogner 2x12" cab with greenbacks, and immediately heard this beautiful warm full-range sound. spent the next hour trying to get a bad sound out of the amp, failing miserably. realised it could get so many great marshally sounds, i gave up trying to get well-known sounds early on not only because it was too easy, but mainly because it was so much fun just playing.

the tone controls and switches are so responsive and gratifying - more bite, add a little treble or presence. duh. more body, add a little middle. duh. too much bottom end, roll off the bass. duh. point is, all this happens exactly as one would want it to. it's not rocket science, but so few amps are so just made to please.

took it to a big show, it behaved perfectly, lots of compliments on the sound, and i don't even know it very well yet. i can't wait to record it!

yes, i would love it to have some kind of footswitch option, maybe between vintage and modern, or maybe with a boost, but the basic sound is just so right at whatever gain level one chooses that i can live with it anyway. great with pedals, great for feedback, great for big fat (or lean) greasy chewy organic pure el34 tone.

makes my rsa23 sound a bit thin and choked in comparison at higher gain points, although i shan't be getting rid of it just yet...

emplex II - what a winner... highly recommended!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Yeah still one of my favorite handmade amps to this day. I don't care to much for the new cosmetics that much though. I think he should given the amp a whole new look entirely. None the less the tone is what really matters.

3. fuzzfan1

fuzzfan1 Member

North of the Cheddar Curtain-Shorewood Wisconsin
    Awesome, another happy Emplex II owner! Congrats! I've had mine for a year and just love it! I can't imagine ever getting rid of it! I too love mine with Heritage Greenbacks. I tried mine with many speakers and the Greenbacks did it for me. Not only does this thing flat out rock, it's also a work of art. Brian's work is second to none! Enjoy! :)

4. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

i agree entirely... the sound is good enough to make the appearance (mostly) irrelevant. a guy can't be a genius at everything i guess!

5. arcguitaro

arcguitaro Member

My Emplexador MKII is one of the first, and Brian had only one or two of the old style block logos left - I opted for that design instead of the art deco look.

Love this amp. Recommended to me at the time by Cliff Cultreri. He knew exactly what I was looking for after talking with him on the phone -- and he was 100% right.

6. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    At one time I had an older version of this amp, and liked it a lot. Eventually I sold it in search of improvement. To pick nits, I would have liked the ability to dial in a little more low end; a little more available gain/breakup on the vintage channel would have been good. How is the new version by comparison? I remember being impressed about how good the amp sounded at low-moderate volumes. It, and a Fuchs, are the two best I've tried in that respect.

7. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

This seems like pretty close to the perfect amp to me, I'd love to play it. Hell, I'd even love to just hear it. Anyone have any clips?

I had a couple of TopHats years ago and had to sell them to get a Recto (I know, I know) for the band I had joined. Always liked the amps and always liked Brian. He used to be right down the street before he left town.

8. rockin robbie

rockin robbie Supporting Member

Anither happy camper here. I have been thru diesels, bogners, komets, roccaforte, blankenship, soldanos,and more.The Emplexadoe mk11 is the hands down best El34 amp i have owned to dateCliff also sold me mine. end of story. sincerely, rob

9. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Not the world's greatest, but these are some clips I slapped together a while ago, all recorded through an AxeTrak iso cab -

Vintage, as I recall.
    Vintage clean.
    Vintage gainy.
    Modern gainy.
    Vintage crunchy juicy, sort of.

Hope they help a little. And please don't blame the amp for my shortcomings as a player and producer, 'k?

10. meterman

meterman Member

Big TH fan here, all I play these days. I've had my '97 Emplexador for about three years and am constantly impressed with how good it sounds when I get the chance to use a larger amp out. Would love to try the MkII one day though I can't imagine mine could get much better! :) Brian Gerhard is *the man* when it comes to amps IMHO...

11. BurnoutBright

BurnoutBright Member

Just tried this amp today. Competely blown away. Love the classic setting for crunch and the modern setting with fat switch on and boost on for lead tone.

12. Ritualee

Ritualee Supporting Member

Hey! Thanks for posting those. I missed them until just now. I'm not sure what to make of the iso cab as far as how that's coloring things but the clips definitely maintain my curiosity. I need to play one.

13. elektroglide

elektroglide Member

the clips are cool, but i would like to emphasize just how much more present, full-bodied, chewy, pleasing, and responsive the direct sound is. it rocks...

14. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

Cliff sold me mine as well. He picked MY brain as to what I wanted & the Emplexador is IT for me! Kind of a "history of Marshall" so to speak. I was on a tear with amps last summer & this one ended my quest. So much there in a pretty simple amp. I would LOVE to have a basement full of amps, but if there were to be only one, my Emplexador would be it.

15. meterman

meterman Member

Here's a couple more clips, these are my old '97 "scripty" version, nothing to do it justice but may give an idea since pro clips are not out there yet...First one is a demo of sorts with a 70s bolt neck Ibanez LP copy, second one is from a gig, EJ Strat & DD20, clean chords on Vintage/Fat voice and then adding Dyna Red for the solo....

1997_Emplexador w LP copy

Emplex w Dyna Red

16. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I'm a dedicated BF Fender guy, and have been for the past 10-15 years. Prior to that, I played exclusively through one of two small-box 50 watt Marshalls. I'm thinking of adding something like that back into my arsenal.

This is the one amp that has always intrigued me after reading the glowing posts on this forum for the past year. I don't really need JCM 800/900 or more modern tones, althoughj I guess I could use them on some of my recordings. I'd really just like to have a good 60's Marshall clean tone type of thing.

Will this amp do it?

17. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

This amp was made for that. One of the things that surprised me, not being a Marshall guy, was how beautiful the cleans on the EII really are. Not a huge amount of headroom, but what's there is gorgeous.