Havana Jam 1979

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dexter.Sinister, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Will some kind human please direct me to a recording of this? DVD best, but anything...the "Trio Of Doom": Johnny Mclaughlin, Jaco Patorius, Peter Erskine...holy crap.

Recorded at the Karl Marx Theater in La Habana March 2-4 1979. My galpal has been trying to drag our trio to the Havana Jazz Festival for a couple years. After I saw this clip (below)...let's just say...where do I sell my plasma to get the $$$ to head south?

Whew.

Thank you.

DS

2. Dexter.Sinister

3. Lotus

Lotus Member

So the ToD did more than one gig in Cuba? I never knew that! I'd be curious to hear some more of the other performances too.

A couple of days ago I was reading this interview with John McLaughlin and he had this to say about the ToD:

Best wishes to you and yours too!

4. Marble

Marble Member

I remember listening to this when it first came out a couple years ago. Pretty enjoyable even though they were at thier wits end with each other. Just another example of why "supergroups" don't last.

5. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

Hi Dexter
    The CD that Lotus linked to is the entirity of the Trio of Doom's output. Their only gig was a 4 tune set at Havana Jam on 3 March 1979. John McLaughlin was so disappointed with the performances that they went into the studio on 8 March 1979 to re-record 3 of the tunes. The studio takes were then inserted into the live mix for the original 'Havana Jam' LPs.

The CD that was released in 2007 contains both the entire live set + the studio takes.

There was only ever one ToD lineup (McLaughlin, Pastorius, Williams).

6. Dexter.Sinister

Thanks for all the information! My understanding is that a movie was made by Ernesto Juan Castellanos (the Cuban "Beatles expert"...partially respnsible for the John Lennon park in la Habana...).

Here is a wiki entry:

Havana Jam ’79 is an hour-long documentary written, produced and directed in 2009 by Cuban author, journalist and filmmaker Ernesto Juan Castellanos.
    It tells the story of the celebration of the historic three-day Havana Jam festival at the Karl Marx Theater, in Havana, Cuba, from 2-4 March, 1979, sponsored by Bruce Lundvall, the president of Columbia Records, Jerry Masucci, the president of Fania Records, and the Cuban Ministry of Culture.
    The documentary includes interviews with some of the Cuban musicians who participated, as well as critics and some who were in the audience.
    Havana Jam ’79 recreates the performances by Weather Report, the CBS Jazz All-Stars, the Trio of Doom, Fania All-Stars, Stephen Stills, Billy Swan, Bonnie Bramlett, Mike Finnegan, Kris Kristofferson, Rita Coolidge and Billy Joel from the American side, as well as Irakere, Pacho Alonso, Zaida Arrate, Elena Burke, Orquesta de Santiago de Cuba, Conjunto Yaguarimú, Frank Emilio, Juan Pablo Torres, Los Papines, Tata Güines, Percusión cubana, Sara González, Pablo Milanés, Manguaré, and Orquesta Aragón, from the Cuban side.
    Ernesto Juan Castellanos also shot, produced and directed the documentary Barefoot on Abbey Road.

I WANT that DVD!!!

DS

7. Dexter.Sinister

Hey Dave, interesting stuff. Did you watch the youtube clip I embedded in the thread? Check out the drummer...that's Peter Erskine! I think the studio LP has Williams. Did you see Tony in the clip? There are a couple Cuban percussionists and...Erskine?! I think.

Anyway, what crazy energy. I love it.

DS

I'll pick up the 2007 release. Thanks.

DS

8. Dexter.Sinister

I know one of Jaco's sons (Julius) pretty well and am an acquaintence of the other (Felix). They are slamming players, btw. Anyway, I'll ask for some more info about the gig. All the printed stuff says Tony was there, but he's not behind the traps on that clip I posted....maybe that was an end of show jam with all the other performers joining in...mystery!

BTW, check out Bendy Pastorius if you ever have a chance. Great trio beased in Brooklyn, NY and Deerfield Beach, FL.

DS

9. Dexter.Sinister

Ah! I think I have it. Peter Erskine played Havana Jam '79 with Weather Report. The clip I posted was likely an end of show group improv with Peter on traps. Is that included on the 2007 Trio Of Doom release?

DS

10. Frater B

Frater B Member

havana jam track listing:

Havana Jam

Disc 1
    1Black Market / Weather Report 9:01
    2Concerto Para Flaut y Adagio de Mozart / Irakere 9:49
    3Cuba al Fin / Steve Stills 7:50
    4Su Nombre Es Pueblo / Sara González 3:54
    5Project "S" / CBS Jazz All-Stars 8:36
    Disc 2
    1Que Barla Mionda / Orquesta Aragón 7:38
    2Living Legend / Kris Kristofferson 4:29
    3(Your Love Has Lifted Me) Higher and Higher / Rita Coolidge 3:33
    4Black Stockings / CBS Jazz All-Stars 6:23
    5How Wrong Can You Be / Mike Finnigan 4:47
    6Juan Pachanga / Fania All-Stars 4:42
    7Dark Prince / Trio of Doom 3:54
    8Scherezada/Sun Sun 7:42

Trio of Doom track listing

1. Drum Improvisation - (previously unreleased, Live)
    2. Dark Prince - (previously unreleased, Live)
    3. Continuum - (previously unreleased, Live)
    4. Para Orient - (previously unreleased, Live)
    5. Are You The One, Are You The One? - (previously unreleased, Live)
    6. Dark Prince - (Studio)
    7. Continuum - (Studio)
    8. Para Oriente - (previously unreleased, Alternate Take One/Studio)
    9. Para Oriente - (previously unreleased, Alternate Take Two/Studio)
    10. Para Oriente - (Studio)

__

11. Dexter.Sinister

Frater B, do you know if the last track on Havana Jam disc two is the jam I linked?

Is that another CD I should look for? I reckon.

DS

12. Frater B

Frater B Member

I think not.
    I can't seem to find my vinyl copy at the moment.
    So I can not check the track listing on it.

I can tell you it is not any of these tracks which ever release this was?
    Either Havana Jam or Havana jam 2?
    This is the one I have on CD, that jam is not on it.

1. Mil Ciento de Junedad
    2. Polka Dots and Moonbeams
    3. Sounds for Sore Ears
    4. Para Oriente
    5. Scherezada, Sun Sun Cuban Percussion Ensemble
    6. Teen Town
    7. Contradanza
    8. I Wanna Be
    9. Continuum
    10. Tin Tin Deo

The track listing I posted might be the vinyl?
    Amazon has them both listed but pricey.

__

13. ErnestoHavanaCuba

ErnestoHavanaCuba Member

Dexter.Sinister, if you want more info about Trio of Doom at the 1979 Havana Jam, please contact me at ernestojuan@cubarte.cult.cu.

I made a documentary about the Jam and have lots of info you might want to have.

I could also help with your interest in playing at the Havana Jazz Fest.

Best,

ErnestoHavanaCuba

14. Dexter.Sinister

Ernesto, you made my day! I just got back from playing a gig where we were interviewed by a paper, met a promoter for a large festival in Canada, got hooked up with a Spanish jazz critic, found out that Steven Hager from High Times will check out our new CD for his magazine, but this is the best news of all. I'll write to you after I wake up...ZZZZ

Gracias por ponerse en contacto conmigo. Espero poder conocerlos a ustedes.

DS

15. mruano

mruano Member

I was at this show in Havana and saw this trio play and no way did it seem bad. Jaco had totally channeled Jimi Hendrix the night before during the Weather Report set. It was quite something, especially since I was/am a huge fan of Jimi. We were sitting in the area with the other musicians and they were all saying Jimi was on stage. I can understand why John and Tony may have been angry with Jaco because he strayed away from the plan, but hey that's what you get from someone who was as plugged in as Jaco.

16. Dexter.Sinister

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Jaco's family lives down here and I have had the pleasure of watching his twin sons grow into passionate, interesting players that channel some of the "out there" and enthusiasm of their late father.

One post up, I was contacted by Ernesto from Cuba. I am working with him to get his film into the next Miami Intl Jazz Film Festival and him up here to talk about the Havana Jam. With his assistance, (and the assistance of Bobby Carcasses, a slamming musician), my trio has been invited down to Havana to play at the Havana Intl Jazz Plaza Festival in December. Just waiting on permission from the good old USA.

This is one more reason why I love TGP: out of conversations come opportunities to make more music and more culture while improving our community.

Cool!

DS

17. Uncle_Salty

Uncle_Salty Member

That's very cool, Dexter.Sinister! I hope it all works out.

18. Dexter.Sinister

Fingers crossed! I thought the USA State Dept would be involved, but it turns out to be the Dept of TREASURY of all things...due to the embargo, I guess. Cultural exchange is often "OK" and I wrote up a plan to share the recordings with the Cubans we record with and post material for free streaming online for people worldwide (as we have with our album; this, BTW, turns out to be a great way to entice people to buy downloads so they can drop them to their personal listening devices).

DS