Have a flexi THD does it make sense to buy a JTM45?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fusionid, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

I know I can go to GC and try one but nothing is the same as using it at home.

So if I have a flexi, does it make sense... at all to try to get a JTM45 or JMP50?

2. stephen sawall

stephen sawall Member

The Flexi has similarity's to those amps .... but is not those amps. They sound and feel different. If it makes sense has to do with your taste and needs... I have a THD Series One Plexi it is the same as a JMP50 and I believe Stu Blue has a JTM45. I have a Flexi and have owned both of the Marshall's ...so I am familiar with all of them.

3. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I have owned a Flexi and I currently own a Germino Monterey 100 (JTM 45/100 style) which is a bit different than a JTM45, but I have played JTM45 reissues at length a few times in a store which allowed me to crank and use a few pedals as well. IMO, the Flexi is a VERY different amp. I found that the Flexi did not take pedals very well, but the old Marshall pieces are some of the best pedal amps on the planet. The breakup characteristcis of the Flexi are also very different and, of course, there are a bunch of additional features on the Flexi which take it far afoot of the vintage Marshall pieces.

I eventually sold the Flexi because I could only get its best tones when it was cranked into an attenuator and used as a "dirty" amp, which required the addition of a clean amp. Not only did that become a pain to haul and set up, but attenuator technology at the time still kinda' sucked. Conversely, the Germino is one of my favorite amps of all time and is one I'll never sell.

4. stump

stump Member

The Flexi can do an approximation of a JTM 45 but when played side by side they are very different, feel and tone wise. If you can afford and want the Marshall I say go for it.

5. fusionid

fusionid Supporting Member

cool. I think I will probably be trying to grab a used one just for the heck of it in the coming up months.