Have a Timeline on the way...explain the midi thing to me...please?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by puddinstone, Jul 15, 2008.

1. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

Like the title says... I have a Damage Control Timeline on the way. One thing I'm interested to try out is the use of midi with the pedal.

I don't really understand how programming it would work, if it would easy, and if it would do the things I want it to.

My main question:

With a larger midi pedal...say the Rolls Mp128, could I turn presets on and off, and have a button used for tap tempo (let's say it's always the "9" button on every bank)?

I know the on/off function and the tap are controlled by Note on/off. Is this something standard midi pedals do? All I see is standard program changes...I'm confused... :confused:

2. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

If the timeline is going to be on your board the easiest thing to do is use a tech21 midi mouse. All that you would need to do with the midi mouse is set up a delay on the timeline that you like, push down the center button on the timeline, then hit the Active/search button on the midi mouse. You will still use the switches on the timeline for on/off and tap tempo. I did that with the glass nexus I had and it was super easy.

3. puddinstone

I guess what I'm wondering is... Can you not have to use the switches on the actual pedal, and just have midi do this?

More specifically....Could I have the pedal on the back of the board and just have a midi controller up from to turn on presets and tap tempo. That way it's just one step.....rather then "Find preset" TAP! "Activate preset" TAP!....move foot over.... "Turn on unit" TAP!!

4. puddinstone

any day time folks have some input?

5. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

I have a Timeline. I'd rather just use the tap tempo footswitch on the pedal itself for tap tempo.

Use MIDI for the stuff that's hard to get to with just your feet or without having to squat down to tweak with your hands. And of course to use more than the 9 presets or so you get without MIDI.

6. Franktone

Franktone Member

Everthing the previous people have said is true. You still have to use the main Timeline pedal to do your tap tempo. The tech 21 midi mouse enables you to be able to access 1000 different sounds that you save ahead of time from experimenting, and then quickly access these on stage.

7. puddinstone

The manual says it can be turned on and off and tap tempo via midi note command. I understand how the midi mouse works....and I don't want to have to use the switches on the Timeline.

Would a more complex footswitch be able to do this? (see below)

8. Franktone

Franktone Member

On page 22 of the manual it says "Timeline allows access to 1280 presets, full remote control of all knobs and switches, and advanced control, such as clock input". On page 23 it says "The footswitches and Encoder Switch are controlled by MIDI NOTE messages. Switches are pressed with a NOTE ON message and released with a NOTE OFF message. A NOTE OFF message can also be achieved with a NOTE ON message with a velocity of 0. Timeline responds to messages sent on MIDI channel 1. TAP TEMPO: C0 (0x18)." I myself have never tried any of this advanced stuff and it is possible that the Tech 21 midi mouse is not capable of these more advanced controls. So, I would select your midi controller more carefully if you want this kind of capability. The manual is available online on the Damage Control website. I hope this helps you out a little. LOL.

9. Franktone

Franktone Member

Sorry, I was mostly repeating the info you already had. I really think that you need a Midi controller with higher capability than the Tech 21 Midi Mouse.

10. Franktone

Franktone Member

Another thing to be aware of, is that some controllers transmit on specific channels only, and that would be one of the first questions that I would ask when selecting a controller.

11. puddinstone

From what I can tell, most new controllers channels can be assigned so it will transmit on the correct channel (channel 1 in the TL's case). This isn't a problem.

The Note on and off thing is a bit of a problem.... only a couple do this...the Behringer and the new Yamaha one. Both are huge and more then I need.

Any other solutions?

12. jb1984

jb1984 Member

13. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I'm positive it can be done.....but you're looking at a fairly expensive midi unit to be able to send the different messages at the same time. I personally went with a Rocktron Midi Mate to do all my patch changes, and then just rearranged my pedalboard so I can reach the on/off and tap tempo buttons on the Timeline itself.

But, again, I'm sure what you're asking can be done, you're just most likely going to have to do some research into more high end midi units, as far as I can tell.

On a side note, the Timeline is the best delay I've played.....I really hope you like it. Sorry, I love this pedal, and can't let a thread about it go by without propsing it. ;)

14. jb1984

jb1984 Member

Damn. Got word from Axess that the MFC5 won't send note on/note off messages, but their $1100 footswitch will - hah.

15. puddinstone

That rjm music one looks great...but I don't think it will do it either.

Also, I looked at the really expensive Axess one and it says in the manual it won't send note on/off...but they say it will? Either way...too much $$$$!!!

Am I missing something? Seems like a downside that you'd have to buy a huge/expensive midi pedal to use such a simple feature.

16. puddinstone

just found this...

http://www.midisolutions.com/proddfs.htm

seems like I could use a couple of footswitches into this...beside a midi pedal...beside this little box....to do it all. I guess it might be smaller after it's said and done then something like the Behringer. And then it starts getting pricey too.

17. jb1984

jb1984 Member

I e-mailed Damage Control about this to see what THEY suggest. I would hope that when they designed this function, they had a solution in mind for those of us that don't want something the size of a Ground Control floorboard to control ONE pedal. Still waiting to hear back...

18. puddinstone

:) I just did the same thing.

Their forum doesn't seem to be working...

19. jb1984

jb1984 Member

This might be a clincher for me. I'm sure I'd be happy with this pedal using one setting at a time, but KNOWING that I could have a gajillion presets at my feet would make me bitter, over time, i think. Seems like they should manufacture a specialty midi footswitch, considering the lack of options. Or contract someone to do so. If there were something available for 3 presets + tap tempo (like the DL4), I'd probably pay an extra $150 just for that.