Have a Tone King Imperial (90's version) coming in.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TNJ, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Should have it in a week or so. Red 112 combo w/ footswitch.
    I'm a long time Tone King fan and have owned 2 Comet 40's, 2 Meteors (I and II), and now the Imperial.
    For a grab and go BF/Tweed Fender type machine that digs pedals (past TK's I've owned love Barber pedals, and the FD2), I think I'll be a happy camper!
    Wonder how she'll do with humbuckers...

[​IMG]

S>
    j

2. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I have owned 2 Continentals and 1 Comet. I love these amps at low volume but at highs volumes they just don't hold together for me, I don't like how the cave in if that makes any sense. I thought in live situations the lead channel was more useable as the clean channel was either too bright or too bassy - I could never find a happy medium.

I do love the cosmetics however, one of the coolest amp designs ever.

3. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

I like using my Tone King Meteor II on the clean channel with my archtops.

4. getbent

getbent Member

Hey! I have the same amp! Good call, I think you'll be really happy... mine has sounded great with whatever I've thrown at her pedal and guitar wise...

One thing I have found (well, and Mark B told me) the Imperial likes EH's more than JJ's. I keep some JJ's as spares but the difference was pretty dramatic in my experience...

Enjoy your amp! I love mine!

5. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I always loved those. You got that from Buzzy, right? I remember when he had those when he was in Smallbany, and I remarked how dynamic they were...and how lite. Easy to carry.

6. TNJ

Yep,
    Did a deal with Buzzy.
    I was looking for a lightweight 112 combo with rev/trem and BF cleans.
    I'm sure that the Imperial will more than fill the bill!

:cool:

S.
    j

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

8. Chi

Chi Member

Steve can you give us your perception in tonal differences between each of the TK's you've owned?

I've owned a one off Comet 40 2x12 and now own a Meteor 2, and feel that Comet was very responsive but kinda boxy, whereas the Meteor 2 has the same beautiful eone as the Comet but much more 3-d if that makes any sense....

9. TNJ

Well,
    Let me remember...I will ALWAYS have a warm spot in my heart for my first TK...a Comet 40B...212 combo. I got one after playing our own Dana Olsen's Comet out in L.A. a few yearsa back. That amp was a killer, with some of the biggest/best BF style cleans I've had the pleasure of generating personally. The reverb was killin', and the overdrive channel (although I didnt use it much) sounded BITCHIN with a humbucker guitar. The cleans sounded FANTASTIC with ANY guitar I plugged in. I gigged and recorded alot with that amp, and still miss it a bit today.
    Next up was the Meteor I 112...which I didnt keep long. Sounded too bright to me, and I couldnt seem to dial it out. Sold that, and got a Comet 40A...112 combo. Liked it almost as much as the 40B...the sound image was just a bit bigger with the 212, though. (duh!) I could have kept it though, as it did sound great, and was light as a feather (as was the 212). Finally (before the incoming Imperial), the Meteor II. This was a head and 212 cab that I got from our own lv in Chicago. Lou ALWAYS seems to have the best amps, and this one was no exception. The things I really dug about the Meteor II... diallable mids, great reverb, big 3D cleans(as you mentioned), dug pedals...especially the Barber variety, lightest 212 cab I've ever hefted, gigworthy to the nth degree. I sold it to our own Fretmaster...who RAVES about it to this day. I'm hoping the Imperial will give me a bit of that TK magic in a portable package. I"m less finicky now, as I"m getting older. :)
    If I were going to recommend ANY TK to someone looking to play gigs and wanting the ultimate in tone...without having tried the Imperial, I'd have to go with the Comet series...and lean towards the 212. I definitely thought (and think) that the cleans from the Comet could hang with the Meteor II.

There you go, for what it's worth...
    S.
    j

10. akivisuals

akivisuals Member

I've had the Imperial and a Comet and thought the Imperial sounded better. Amazing bouncy, clean tones. The best BF tones I've had to date. I still regret the day I sold her....

11. george4908

george4908 Member

No love for the Tone King Continental? I've had one since 1997 and it's still the best amp I've ever owned. The Continental is basically the 40 watt version of the Imperial in a slightly larger cabinet. At the time, I was looking for the lightest/best sounding amp I could find and thought the Imperial was going to be it, but playing the Imperial side by side with the Continental, the latter just sounded bigger -- so it was worth the extra weight penalty. No question, though, that the Imperial is one of the all-time best grab n' go amps ever made, if you like the basic sound of a well-tuned DR.

I've played Comets and found them to be a little bit brighter, but still very much in the same neighborhood as the Continental. Played a Meteor II and thought this one tended to move back in the direction of the Continental a bit, a little bit warmer/fuller. Can't go wrong with any of them, really.

12. Chi

Chi Member

:D
    Thanks for the response Steve! I agree with you on your take of both the Comet and the Meteor 2. FWIW My old Comet was a killer too...I miss it.

I also agree with George, (I used to own a Continental too--I'm a hge Mark Bartel fan)---you really can't go wrong with any of them!:D

13. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

If I could find one of the old Jetson look head/cab setups, I would buy it no matter how it sounds. :)