Have any of you directly compared a Seymour Duncan SSL-5 to a Dimarzio FS-1?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TheGuildedAge, Mar 21, 2015.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Thinking about a beeffier strat bridge pickup and actually never heard of either of this until recently.

I tend to favor Dimarzio but has anyone tried them both. Ash strat, maple neck. My complaint is my strat has always sounded "thin" to my ears. It's sort of a last ditch try it or sell thing.

2. CowTipton

CowTipton Silver Supporting Member

I have not tried the Dimarzio FS-1 but I am installing a Duncan SSL-5 in the bridge of my American Strat right now.

I'm hoping it makes a nice difference in sound because the stock bridge pickup is not to my liking.

I just hope it doesn't screw up position 4.

*update*

I like it. It's a little nasally/compressed but way better than the thin-sounding stock bridge pickup. It breaks up a lot better with the amp set at the edge of clean and pos 4 still sounds great.
    Very happy with the SSL-5.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

I found the SSL-5 to be muffled and too hot. A DiMarzio FS-2 wired in single coil sounds the best to me when mixed with vintage style strat pickups in M and N. YMMV.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

You must mean HS-2, which is quite different from FS-1

SSL-5 is best used not wired to a tone control to retain highs.

5. Martian

Martian Member

I have. The SSL-5 has a wider range and sounds more Strat like vs. the FS-1 which doesn't have much high end and sounds a bit compressed. The SSL-5 sounds just fine clean, the FS-1 sounds grainy and restricted clean (if that makes any sense to you). Distorted, they both rip but here too, the SSL-5 still has better dynamics. Output wise, they are similar.

6. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

Yes I do, HS-2/DP116, my mistake. The HS-2 wired in single coil is about 8.5k, sounds great and fat and retains highs without being harsh. Very vintage sounding too.

7. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yeah I've used HS-2's like that for quite a few years, sounds killer.
    One of my fave strat bridge pickups for anything but harder rock, where I like the SSL-5 better. '
    Need to try an FS-1 one day. :)

8. dazco

dazco Member

Only used the SSL-5, but i gotta say this, and i'm not exaggerating....worse pickup of any kind i ever used. Couldn't give em to me. What amazes me is that they're pretty popular, but i can only assume by people who are more worried about getting the most OD they can out of a SC w/o caring a whole lot about tone.

9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Yeah, that David Gilmour dude is one of them... :bonk

No point in trying to insult those who actually like it.