• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Have any of you done this? Considering a “satellite” board to go along with my other boards...

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Does anyone here put their wah, tuner and maybe the amp footswitch or an ABY box on a small “pre board” that can go with any of your other boards?

Am I overthinking this and making one more extra thing to carry into a gig or practice?

I was thinking I can open up space or add something to my boards by having the same wah/tuner etc on a small board that can go into a backpack or bag with my pedalboard snake and cables.

Thoughts? Stay like I am now? Am I just looking for a reason to play with my gear? LOL. FWIW... I am pretty happy with my current set ups. :dunno

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
I've considered having a metro 16 sized overdrive/fuzz board(s) with different complements of dirt to connect to an all purpose mod & time based motherboard. If you gig different amps, or play with different projects through the same amp, this could make sense. Something to be said for carrying two small things instead of one big thing.

dargiles

I have a PT nano set up with what I consider my 'weird' pedals (count to 5, polymoon, transmisser, etc) with a strymon ojai on it to power them. I can just run that off the strymon supply on any of my other boards so all i need is another patch lead and dc power cable. I just use it with any board if I wanna get a little strange from time to time.

Brian Gilmour

I’ve been wanting for years to just have a nano sized board off the side of my main board just for modulations. Now with my Moon Vibe and the urge to get another Boss RT-20 I would have to get a second PT-Jr or some custom size flat board.

I would stick a Boss LS-2 on my main board between my dirt and delays and use the two loops on the pedal for the different Gilmour eras. That would also allow me to use the blend control like Gilmour does now with the Lehle mixer.
Loop A would be my Moon Vibe and A MXR Phase 90.
Loop B would be the new Retro Sonic Flanger and a Boss CE-2.

The RT-20 would run after my delays as it can be used for everything.

lefort_1

Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt
Platinum Supporting Member
... and here I thought this was going to be about how to divide/design a second PCB sub-assembly in certain pedals to make swapping out entire functional units like LFO generation, TB/buffering, etc
... you guys are boring....

j/k

I've thought about a board-split to bring the tweakable pedals up to elbow height, but I've not done it yet.

Madsen

I've wrestled with my small board spilling out of it's case several times over the years. In the past i've been able to find smaller pedals that serve the same function of the huge pedal i've liked the sound of. Currently i've got an outlying expression pedal & I don't think i'll be able to cram that in.

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I do this with a PT-Nano that I load with fuzz. Works great because you want fuzz first in line most of the time anyway and I just run it before my main board. Then when I just need the basics I bring my main board and leave the nano at home.

prowlinacage

I did this recently with my wah and volume pedal and couldn’t be happier with the result. Yes, it’s one more thing to carry but with an amp, pedalboard case, and guitar I already had to make two trips to load-in anyway...might as well carry something in my free hand on that second trip.

Getting the wah off the Pedaltrain eliminated some hum I was getting from it being located so close to the power supplies under the board. It’s also more comfortable for me to have both the wah and volume flat on the floor. The extra space on the main board was a bonus as well.

Last edited:
For a long time I’ve been thinking I’d like to split my board in two to allow it to be as big as I want without being overly heavy and bulky. My thoughts were to have 1 be in front of amp and other be mods in fx loop. ... if I end up getting into using a looper and using the fx loop it’s something I’d prob do , but prob not something I’ll get around to doing for awhile.

Riffa

Good idea. I think it would be nice to have the wah pedal along with a Whammy and a tuner on a small board that could be easily connected to a main one.

JELIFISH19

I currently have one. It has fuzz, treble booster, and wah. But I'm in the process of turning it into a bigger standalone board. The problem I had is that I liked those things so much but I didn't necessarily want to mix them with all of the things in my main board. I just decided to build a board around those 3 pedals. If you want to use the side-board, you need to carry two pedalboards. It just made more sense to just get a slightly bigger one that has everything else i would use with those pedals.

maladat

I've gotten kind of obsessed with fuzz, but it isn't really practical to put 5 or 6 (or more) fuzz pedals on a general purpose pedalboard (at least, a general purpose pedalboard of any reasonable size).

Since a lot of fuzz pedals basically HAVE to be before anything else in the signal chain, I've been thinking about putting one or two fuzz pedals on my main pedalboard, and then filling something like a Pedaltrain Nano+ with other fuzz pedals. That way when I want to play with all the different fuzz pedals, I can just plug the little fuzz board in before the main board and be ready to go and not have to worry about pulling out different pedals and plugging and unplugging them.

((TechnicolorSkyline))

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotten kind of obsessed with fuzz, but it isn't really practical to put 5 or 6 (or more) fuzz pedals on a general purpose pedalboard (at least, a general purpose pedalboard of any reasonable size).

Since a lot of fuzz pedals basically HAVE to be before anything else in the signal chain, I've been thinking about putting one or two fuzz pedals on my main pedalboard, and then filling something like a Pedaltrain Nano+ with other fuzz pedals. That way when I want to play with all the different fuzz pedals, I can just plug the little fuzz board in before the main board and be ready to go and not have to worry about pulling out different pedals and plugging and unplugging them.
Yes! Exactly the thought behind my satellite board, and it works out great

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I think having a modular approach to pedalboards can be really smart. I've often contemplated having separate boards for pedals that go in front of the amp and another one for modulation, tremolo, etc. that I would prefer to run through the effects loop.

T Dizz

Does anyone here put their wah, tuner and maybe the amp footswitch or an ABY box on a small “pre board” that can go with any of your other boards?

Am I overthinking this and making one more extra thing to carry into a gig or practice?

I was thinking I can open up space or add something to my boards by having the same wah/tuner etc on a small board that can go into a backpack or bag with my pedalboard snake and cables.

Thoughts? Stay like I am now? Am I just looking for a reason to play with my gear? LOL. FWIW... I am pretty happy with my current set ups. :dunno
Why stop at a satellite? get a comet board, moon board, Hell, a whole separate pedalboard universe!!

Trending Topics