Have any of you guitar players taken lessons from a jazz sax player, or piano?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by color_tones, Feb 3, 2008.

1. color_tones

color_tones Member

I have been really searching for a teacher in my area on the big island of hawaii. To be honest I have not found someone that is a fluent jazz guitarist, they might be able to dabble into jazz but no one who really is a "jazz guitar player". I am trying to take the next step in my playing and really digest this music. Its hard though when you don't have anyone to hang out with that plays this stuff or there is no venue that plays this type of stuff. I found a sax player who was recommended to me who is very good and very talented at arranging. He graduated from UNT or one of the top texas jazz schools. I have never taken lessons form someone on a different instrument but I think this could turn out to be more rewarding than just taking lessons from someone that plays guitar. After all aren't we just really trying to play sax lines on the guitar anyway. It makes me a little nervous but I want someone who can really kick my butt and put me on the right track. Has anyone here ever taken lessons from someone on a different instrument?

2. willhutch

willhutch Member

Could be very rewarding. The ability to sightread would probaly be more important when studying with a sax player.

3. KRosser

KRosser Member

Yes.

In the early 90's I studied with sax player Bennie Wallace for about a year. I got tired of guitar teachers telling me, "you sound great, keep doing what you're doing". I asked Bennie for lessons and he said, "But I don't know anything about the guitar". "Fantastic!", I said.

It was probably the series of lessons wherein the daily practical applications were the most useful I've ever received. More than information, he gave me methods and insights that I still work with over 15 years later. I will forever thank Bennie for that.

When I first moved to LA I attended a bunch of jam session/workshops with the great undersung jazz drummer Carl Burnette (Freddie Hubbard/Horace Silver) and again, I still have a few insights from that that re-shaped my thinking.

Again in the early 90's I got to work as an sideman/assistant to Joey Baron for a series of clinics he gave, and I think I was getting more from it than the students. In particular, there were a number of issues with tempos & dynamics that he addressed I've never heard explained any better and profoundly influenced me.

4. color_tones

color_tones Member

My sight reading is not up too par for single note stuff. I can read the chord charts though. But im hoping for more insight on stuff , arranging, jazz harmony, playing standards and over changes. I know I can do the reading on my own but I know it would help having those sight reading skills like you said.

5. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

Yup, me too. Worked with David Dees in 2002, Quamon Fowler and Brad Leali in 2006. Some of the best lessons & gigs I've ever experienced. Really helped me get away from the mechanics of the guitar and focus on the music, especially since none of those guys knew square one about how to play a guitar.

6. KRosser

KRosser Member

When I studied with Bennie we didn't read a single note.

I attended a jam with him once, though, and he stuck a bebop line in front of me to read in bass clef, just to kick my ass I'm pretty sure.

It worked. My ass was kicked.

7. color_tones

color_tones Member

thats awesome!! I kind of feel the same. Im tired of guitar teachers just telling me to keep playing. I want some insight into the jazz stuff. My technique is really good, and my scale/modes knowledge is really good, I went through ted greenes chord chemistry several years ago and my chord playing advanced like crazy. I have been pulling lines off of cds but i need help with playing standards and playing over changes. I really want to dig into this stuff, and need to get some songs down. Thats one of my problems is I dont know where to start with the standards, i mean i know a bunch of jazz progressions. What cd's should I be transcribing for the good standards? I mean I like alot of guitar players like pat metheny, scofield, lagrene, adam rogers etc.. but man I can transcribe some of there lines but I dont think I can transcribe the whole songs because they are too difficult. I need someone with lots of experience who can share with me what works and what doesn't. I want to know what they are thinking.

8. color_tones

color_tones Member

Mine would be too lol

9. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Yes, piano players and horn players. I've never taken steady lessons from anybody (well, not since I was 10 or so), but the closest I came was with a piano player who taught me more in 3 lessons than all my other lessons combined.