Have any of you NOT liked the timmy?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fuzzdawg, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

ok, since i have been to TGP, i have heard nothing but praise after praise for the timmy. have any of you tried the timmy and not liked it?

2. Nathan

Nathan Member

I sold mine but I did like it ...alot! Is there anything better out there? Possibly, like the Kar Krash sounded better to my ears for most things, but have a look at the price tag! Incidentally, I sold that too.

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Well, it was more that I didn't need it than didn't like it. It's a good pedal, and definitely the most amp like I've ever played. It just had a flavor that I didn't necessarily care for.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Nice pedal indeed... Actually, I don't think I've heard of anybody not liking it. A real TGP classic!

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I liked the pedal ok but also sold nine. I just didn't use it that much. It worked great with other pedals, but didn't do much for me on its own. It sounded like a pedal to me. Didn't clean up that great for me, and I keep my tweed amp cranked higher (through an attenuator if need be) these days, so I just don't need a low gain pedal. It is still a great, well thought out pedal and Paul Cochrane is tops. But when I went for the minimalistic pedalboard, in the end the Timmy was expendable.

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

its a really nice pedal and its not that i dont like it, its just not the sound I'm looking for. The Eternity sounds very nice though!!!
    by the way mines for sale. looking for a seek trem and an eternity.

7. Gibsonchild

Gibsonchild Member

I really didn't like mine at first. Took me a while to get it dialed in. Also, it doesn't like my Mesa DC3 at all, which is very pedal friendly. I finally drug out my Pro Reverb and, wow!! I can't even turn the Timmy off now. Good stuff.

8. 6789

6789 Member

I still have my Timmy but I don't use it right now. If I need a volume boost I'll use it. But if I need overdrive without a volume boost I use my Blackstone.

9. fyler

fyler Member

i thought it was good for making my small amp seem bigger (fargen bastage), but it didn't really sound all that great with my big amp (thd flexi). i sold it because it just wasn't really useful for me.

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow, so now it's just ok? And I just waited 3 months to get mine...

11. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

I was slightly Underwhelmed by the Tim and Timmy Pedals. They sound like a very Linear Even order Harmonic Clipping sound. Great, if thats your thing.
    I still prefer a more Tube like Overdrive. The Classic 808 or the Aramat Green Machine is a personal Fav of mine.
    A bit more of a "Tube" attitude sound.

12. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

wow! nothing but "YOU MUST BUY THIS PEDAL" for a month, then this...

13. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I just sold mine. Granted, I didn't give it that much time, but I didn't see what the big deal was. For low gain OD, it didn't sound better than my Barber LTD (not to mention my Zendrive or my Blues Pro). Sounded a little raspier in the bass than I expected. Maybe just lack of synergy with my amp, guitars and playing style (or ability).

14. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I wouldn't get down on Timmy just yet. Just because it didn't fit my application is no slight against the pedal. I have sold lots of pedals that I thought were great because I had a very specific purpose in mind that they didn't fit. No pedal can be all things to all people.

Besides I don't think it has been all at once. I have noticed several Tims and Timmys for sale over the last several months. It is suffering from a major case of flavor of the month and that makes it hard to notice the few who passed on it.

15. onemind

onemind Member

This thread requested feedback from people who "didn't love the Timmy pedal" so don't assume it's not a killer pedal, only people who fit the criteria are posting (and even some of them dug it), Me, I sold my Timmy, kept my Tim, probably should have kept both.

16. threm

threm Member

I like it a lot for adding just some grit to a clean sound and it`s a great pedal for what it does well.
    But going into a clean amp there are other pedals that are more suited in simulating the kind of amp (tube) compression I like. Even with the internal switches on the Timmy doesn`t compress the way I prefer. This is possibly just a plus to most folks.

I`ll keep the Timmy as it sits well (soundwise) between the Klon (used with Gain off) and other OD`s.

17. PaulC

PaulC Member

There's days I don't like it! It's just something I made for my plexi and my strat. Just another flavor...

Later, PaulC

18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I couldn't stand mine with any of the amps I tried it with. I found that at most settings it was very harsh and grainy. I used it with several custom amps, some vintage fenders, and a vox clone. I also tried several guitars running through the Timmy. I love the sound of all of those amps on their own, but the Timmy sounded like mung going into every one of them. It was either grainy and thin sounding or just plain dull. I played with the switches inside and still couldn't find a combination that I liked. I even played with different cables, speakers and batteries. With the unit I tried, there was a cheap-sounding fizz riding on top of every note I played, no matter what I did. As soon as I switched off the Timmy, I could calm down and feel okay about playing guitar again.

Well, at least I made quite a profit selling it ;)

19. PaulC

PaulC Member

Bummer - you should have called me. I have a full weeks return on them you know... Well at least you were able to make some money off of it instead of returning it to me.

This is going to be a fun night I can tell... Maybe i should go ahead and toss my computer out the window now! PaulC

20. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Sorry Paul. I meant no disrespect towards you or your product. It has great workmanship and a good solid design, but I think I would be doing a disservice to TGP if I didn't speak up about the fact that the Timmy didn't do it for me. I trust that the members of TGP are smart enough to tease apart the hype from the truth, and that your pedals really do have something special. I purchased my Timmy used, so I don't know if I could have returned it to you. The guy I sold it to absolutely loves it, and I know he's not the only one.