Have any of you sold or bought pedals/gear off Reverb or Ebay from someone famous?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Aug 15, 2019.

1. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

I get a kick out of interviews where some famous guitarist will say, "yeah, scooped this pedal up off some guy on ebay...".

Can you imagine you list your fuzz on Reverb and the shipping address comes up "Joe Bonamassa" or "Billy Gibbons"? I'd have to imagine guys like this probably have to use aliases or one of their roadies' names.

The closest I came is I bought a pedal off Mike Hermans off Reverb. It was slightly cool to see my exact pedal in the demo, haha. When I was a kid I traded a Morley Fuzz Wah at a local shop for some crappy pedal and the next day the guitarist from Tripping Daisy bought my old pedal. The guy I made the trade with told me my pedal was worthless, then accidentally later admitted to me the Tripping Daisy guy had been desperately looking for one. I also bought a Keeley modded tube screamer from the Killer's guitar tech that they had used on tour. So yeah...cool stuff, but not Billy Gibbons level.

Any of you have any interesting pedal/gear transactions with someone famous?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Nels Cline bought an Infinite Jets from me a while back. Mine just happened to be the cheapest one available at the time most likely.

3. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

I bought one of Rich Robinson's old Crest Audio-era Fuzz Faces off Reverb.

4. rusty

rusty Supporting Member

Redd Volkaert bought a DM-3 from me years ago on ebay...

songtalk, urQuill, chumbucket and 2 others like this.
  5. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I sold a Turbo Rat to Stephen O’Malley.

6. BlueFlameAmps

BlueFlameAmps Member

I bought Jon Butcher's Option 5 Destination Rotation.......again, not Billy Gibbons level but what the hey.

7. taco-man

taco-man Supporting Member

I bought an amp from the local TV Weather Anchorwoman.

8. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i sold an Ampeg V-4 amp to the bass player in Portugal The Man, when they were on tour a few years ago.
    Listed it on Craigslist and he contacted me. Got free tickets to the show and got to hear the amp live. It was awesome.

9. Scott57

Scott57 Member

I bought a Boss LS-2 that Mick Jones of Foreigner owned.

Abram4235 likes this.
  10. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

Moby had a huge sale on Reverb a couple months ago. Hundreds of items. Pretty reasonably priced too, although some are of it seemed well-used to say the least.

11. magnus02

magnus02 Member

Nope. But I REALLY wanted one of the Strokes amps when they did the reverb sale thing. Different than what you're talking about but an easy way to accomplish it.

12. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

13. atallen

atallen Member

Closest thing like that for me was selling a ‘50s Gibson case to some old British guy. This was in the mid-90s when I was about 12-13 and my dad had given me the case to try and sell at a guitar show. The old guy thought it was cool I was helping my dad work the show, so ended up talking to my dad and I about how he had a 50s Les Paul that needed this case. Turned out it was Albert Lee and he needed an original case for the Black Beauty that Clapton gave him. He stayed in touch with my dad and bought several things from him over the next few years.

14. gregc

gregc Supporting Member

I bought a Hamer from Wolf Hoffman of the heavy metal band Accept.
    I own A Bogner XTC that was built for Guns & Roses (though I did not buy directly from them).
    Great story: I bought a wicked Holland amp, and someone from Johnny Lang's crew called me because they thought it was his stolen head. (turned out it wasn't). Mike Holland helped me out by verifying the head.
    That's all I've got~

15. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I sold a tuner to a guy who I though was famous in nail I did a double take at the name. Tony, not Trey.

Years ago, my neighbor owned a big Ampeg cab with “The Band” stenciled on it. He had me convinced it was used in The Last Waltz. I believed him because he had album credits on some Lester Flatt albums and chops to back it up.

metrokosmiko and drifterphase like this.
  16. whateverdude

whateverdude Supporting Member

I bought my Transmisser off Taylor Hawkins on Reverb, I asked if he was in the Foo Fighters he said "yep, that's me." I don't know if he was pulling my leg, lol.

17. Scordare

Scordare Member

I bought a Mesa 20/20 power amp off of ebay, when it arrived, the shipping label said Randy Jackson from California. I didn’t message him to see if it was THE Randy Jackson.

AustinIsPresent likes this.
  18. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I've had a couple transactions with big timers. But I don't make folks business transactions public, unless I see they have mentioned it publicly first.

So I can't name names, but I've moved gear to and from a couple A-listers.

I'm a big nobody, though. It has all been coincidence. I guess I have good taste? :dunno

19. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I purchased a G2 from Daniel Steinhardt. Not directly, but he does own the company.

I'm guessing that doesn't count. :D

20. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

[​IMG]

It's impolite to kiss and tell.