Have any of you sold or bought pedals/gear off Reverb or Ebay from someone famous?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

I sold a Navajo rug to Sheryl Crow once if that counts. I had to keep my cool because I was actually majorly fangirling (think of a grown man waving hands in face repeating “oh my god”) and wanted to respect her privacy and maintain a level of professionalism

2. Obsesspool

Obsesspool Member

I had the opportunity to buy Scott Kelly of Neurosis's Sunn Model T, which he apparently used waaay back in the day, from a tech in the South Bay Area. Totally regret not doing everything possible to scrounge up the money for it cause 1.) Neurosis are my favorite band, and 2.) Sunn Model T's are the greatest ****ing amps.

3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I bought Robben Ford's backup ODS.

4. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep. I probably sell a fair amount of stuff to relatively famous people, but they're not known to me. I think the most recent I recognized and can remember off the top of my head would be Gilby Clarke and Alejandro Escovedo.

nasonm likes this.
  5. Madsen

Madsen Member

I bought some random crap at Tim Burton's estate sale many years ago. It was the early 00's when he was splitting up with the Vampira lady from Ed Wood. There was a ton of dresses, a giant disco ball, a couple movie props. I picked up a CD player, guitar stands, power strips, & a bin full of cables & adapters.

6. josiahmac

josiahmac Member

I bought a pedal off gearmandude. Couldn’t get it to work. Found out I needed some snake skin boots to turn it on.

7. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Very cool. I need to listen to him properly.
    Lovely.
    Whaaaat.. Really?
    I'll check your youtube channel again. I had watched some videos but don't remember the ODS. Very cozy room ;)

8. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I work with the industry's top professionals, creating ground breaking rigs with the latest technology though still vintage.
    Too much in demand & fondly known as the Rig Doctor.
    But I'm too modest to spill any beans.

analogmike and Supercubziggy like this.
  9. Madsen

Madsen Member

I've noticed a few Nine Inch Nails sales over the years. Usually stuff they abused on the road getting dumped at the end of a tour. If I recall correctly Billy Howerdel got his main A Perfect Circle Les Paul off their reject pile when he was their guitar tech. Wishing I would have snagged something.

10. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

Several years ago I was looking for a 4x12 cab and I saw one for sale that was used on Cheap Trick Live at Budokan, but it was a bit out of my price range. Also it was beat.

11. Bluesful

Hahaha, no, but I wish!

He did sell it last year, but I have no idea who bought it.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  12. GearPig

GearPig Member

Maaany years ago, before the internet was a big thing, I would browse the ads in Vintage Guitar Magazine looking for guitars. I bought a ‘50s National double-neck table steel from a shop in New Orleans. The guy said that Daniel Lanois would use that one whenever he was in town to record.

Oddly enough, years later, I traded a ‘62 Ampeg Mercury to a local dealer who brought it to a guitar show in Toronto where it was bought by...

Daniel Lanois.

13. Strumlord

Strumlord Member

Cool,
    I would be interested in a Zendrive he once owned, it could have been sprinkled with magic pixie dust.
    (I know it would sound probably the same, and my playing wouldn’t benefit fr9m the pedal but to own something he used would be cool)

I’m a huge fan.

14. Bluesful

Just for reference, I was joking.

15. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I sold my soul to the devil down at the crossroads.

16. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

It's funny... I went to high school with a guy who was a great guitar player, named Bob Johnson.
    He had many of the facial characteristics and the exact player's-face as Eric Johnson.

... no, this was in Oregon, not Texas.

captaincoconut likes this.
  17. Squatch57

Squatch57 Member

When I was a trader in Sydney I bought and sold a bunch of stuff to bands like INXS and Midnight Oil.
    Most recent was a Tight Fuzz I bought from Kevin Borich off ebay heh

18. Johnny Fuzz

Johnny Fuzz Member

Yeah, a few actually. I won’t namedrop, but I traded a Belle Epoch for a fuzz pedal specifically custom built for a rather legendary guitarist. I went to his house to make the swap and got to play his guitars (best one I ever played) and drink some booze with him. It was a day to remember.

19. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

I got this guy.
    funny thing. I sold it two years ago and it recently just came back to my in a random trade from half-way around the world.
    I have to admit I had to look up who Charlie Sexton was when I first got it.

[​IMG]

James and pickaguitar like this.
  20. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

I bought an old Hiwatt cab that has “Fleetwood Mac” stencilled on the back.

Bought John Rzeznik’s Bruno Underground 30.