Have any of you sold or bought pedals/gear off Reverb or Ebay from someone famous?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Chops

Chops Gold Supporting Member

I had two brushes with fame doing business on eBay. Sold a Rick 12 string to Henry Gross who had a hit with the song Shannon in the 70s and sold a Hofner bass to Doug Fieger of the Knack. Both wanted to talk on the phone to ask questions during the course of the transactions and both were total gear heads who loved to talk about guitars.

Scott57 likes this.
  2. TeleDeluxe72

TeleDeluxe72 Member

I owned a fuzz pedal owned briefly by Marc Ford. I think it was part of a batch the builder sent him to try out and he sent some back. Huge MFF fan, but I didn't love the pedal either, so we had that in common, lol.

A few years ago someone was selling off gear from Lou Reed's studio on eBay, anyone recall that? I just missed out on a few hard to find effects, including a Moog delay that went for probably half of that they sell for now. Ugh.

3. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

Those are two respectable dudes. I dig both of their respective ouvres. Gilby was in a band before G'n'R called Candy that I really dig. Although I think it was a situation similar to G'n'R, where they put out their best stuff, he joined the band, and then they fizzled out.

4. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

Pitter patter. I binged every episode of this show last week. So good.

I bought Fluff's (from YouTube) MotoTone Vader amp from him off of Reverb a couple of years back. I guess that kinda counts as somebody famous?

Big in Japan likes this.
  5. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

I had a guy email me saying he was a guitar tech for Slash, said Slash really wanted what I was selling, and then asked if my price was “the best I could” and offered me 50% of what I was asking.... never heard back.

So Slash, if your out there reading this, sorry we couldn’t come to do business

6. bloozeman1

bloozeman1 Supporting Member

They're just people. Why the big stink?

7. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

I have a Vox Delaylab, that I bought from Bill Kelliher (Mastodon)
    It was just an ebay transaction - but I thought it was cool.

8. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I haven't heard about 80% of the people mentioned in this thread.

9. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I sold my rocktron intelliverb to dean deleo.

My buddy sold his peavey 50/50 power amp to joe satriani. We joked about mailing ourselves to the address.

I owned Steve stevens’ cae 3+se

GoKart Mozart, monty and Abram4235 like this.
  10. Primus DuPont

Primus DuPont Member

No famous people but Walrus Audio traded my like $600 worth of pedals for my Tascam Portastudio 4-track tape recorder. They hooked me up gud

AustinIsPresent, Flatscan and spiral like this.
  11. Tzirfigu

Tzirfigu Member

I agree, after all i dont think famous people is going to reveal their identity in reverb or ebay (however im sure they are in those pages buying and selling stuff)

12. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

AceBSpankin likes this.
  13. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

I sold a tremolo pedal to Kevin Morby

AustinIsPresent likes this.
  14. monty

monty Member

Still kicking myself but I got the days mixed up earlier this week and missed out on the Billy Talent Reverb sale. I'm a big fan and the prices were actually pretty good. Had my eye on his Tele but would have gladly settled on a DD7 or something.

15. embrionic

embrionic Member

I own Lou Reed's EHX Micro-Synthesizer(vintage one). :) It still has markings for how Lou set it.

I purchased it off eBay after Lou's sad passing. It was listed by a tech who was helping sell off the gear for the family, but when it arrived it came mailed directly from Lauri Anderson with a short thank you note!

Interestingly, although I adore Lou and Lauri's work, I did not purchase it or bid on it for that reason. I simply was looking for one and bid an amount that seemed fair (perhaps even a bit low IIRC) for a vintage EHX piece based on the then-current going rate. I was quite surprised to get the email I had won the auction! "Lou" gets used a lot in the studio.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  16. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Member

The story here is not who owned this pedal previously. The story here is how the heck are you getting Cornish pedals in "random trades"?!

17. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I got a pedal from mike Hermans once

Not Orange, Flatscan and axdxm like this.
  18. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I let James Cotton use a Green bullet mic for his show. I was playing at the same show.

19. Zooey

Zooey Member

I bought a mixing board off Rudy Sarzo in the mid-nineties and picked it up from him at his house. I didn't realize at first. While I was driving up there, I was struck by how nice the neighborhood was. Got to his house and saw all the gold records on the wall. And then I got it (forehead slap).

moore_for_less and lemonman like this.
  20. Zooey

Zooey Member

Over the years, I saw listings on eBay from two of my guitar heros: Johnny Marr and Adam Franklin. I didn't bid on either. If I recall correctly, Adam Franklin sold a sunburst Jazzmaster and it didn't even fetch a premium over regular vintage price. Which at the time, was not even as high as you would imagine it would be.

mapleneck72 likes this.