Have any of you sold or bought pedals/gear off Reverb or Ebay from someone famous?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by axdxm, Aug 15, 2019.

1. cho

cho Member

Around 1993, I bought a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and a Simul Satellite amp from Mesa Boogie Hollywood. They each came in a road case, with "ELP" stickers on them. The Boogie rep told me that they were owned by Greg Lake. I still have one case and the Satellite, although the Mark IV was stolen many years ago...

pomfret likes this.
  2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

And Blink 182...

After I saw this trend I set up my own shop like a famous person/band...

"The Official Jason Hayes Reverb Shop"

Welcome to the Official Jason Hayes Reverb Shop. Here you'll find guitars, basses, amps, recording equipment, effects & more from the rocker's personal collection. The gear sells for pretty good prices so make sure to follow!

"Isn't that what you wanted?"

(I quoted myself from one of my songs lol)

Check it out...fancy logo too:
    https://reverb.com/shop/jasons-gear-garage-655

3. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Tripping Daisy! That is so cool! I started performing Polyphonic Spree covers just yesterday!

I wish I had a story that awesome but I did once buy a consigned electric guitar for far too little ($150!!!) from who ended up being the local queen of Rock here in town. She's a total badass who has diy'd all of her albums for decades and also helps produce other punk and metal bands in the area, often free of charge! \m/

pickaguitar likes this.
  4. Goat in the Machine

Goat in the Machine Member

I bought my Analogman Sun Lion from The Four Horsemen on reverb.

I also sold a vintage Ludwig snare drum to Bob Weir on eBay. I really don't know if it was THE Bob Weir, doubtful, but I kid you not- when I got the notification of the sale on my phone, I was in the middle of a shrooms influenced jam session with some friends. As you can imagine, we quickly decided it was the real Bob Weir, and pretty damn cosmic.

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I bought a fret protector from Rick Derringer.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  6. sleewell

sleewell Member

i bought a fuchs from dweezil zappa and then sold it to someone on tgp.

AustinIsPresent and Abram4235 like this.
  7. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

Some of us here could be the “famous” selling the gear. ;)

Not Orange likes this.
  8. axdxm

axdxm Supporting Member

Haha...thought about that as well. Some famous guys boards stay looking like TGP's flavors of the month.

Not Orange and Jim Marciano like this.
  9. Moniker

Moniker Guitarchitect Supporting Member

Sold a guitar to Gwyneth Paltrow for her son a few years back. She even wrote a really nice thank you letter after receiving it.

10. wombat66

wombat66 Member

I carried an early 80s Rat half way around the world and gave it to Darko, the front man in Side Effect, the leading punk/alt band in Yangon Myanmar.

In the 20th century I bought Bill Connors' (formerly of return to forever) steinberger guitar.

11. Madsen

Madsen Member

& a coiley cable?

Not Orange and Big in Japan like this.
  12. Nimrod97

Nimrod97 Member

I sold a pedal to Josh Scott, I think he counts. Cool interaction for me as I am a JHS fan. Super nice guy

13. jaymeister

jaymeister Member

I almost sold a Private Stock PRS Custom 24 to Kim Jong Un...but he couldn’t get a verified address for his PayPal account, and instead offered to pay me in imported whiskey and Swiss cigarettes. I became skeptical so I backed out.

14. secretchord53

secretchord53 Member

I'm about 95% certain I introduced Mason to the BBE Wah (though it wasn't a sale).

That's more 'infamous' than 'famous', methinks.

Jim Marciano and gearscrubs like this.
  15. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

If that’s true I do know he buys Jack private reserve by the truckloads. When I used to work at Westlake audio I bought some preamps that were used to record vocals on Frank Sinatra’s Duets records I and II. I worked on the record and got them at deal when it was done. Sinatra, Streisand, Bono, and more used them. They are being used on the new Kings X right now...

captaincoconut and jaymeister like this.
  16. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have sold several on eBay that were bought by famous players.

Prince
    Bob Weir
    Guy from Norma Jean
    Kid Anderson
    Elliott Rubinson

Several others I would have to think of-
    All were very nice and easy to deal with.

17. woof*

woof* Member

I sold a 63’ reverse Firebird to him in 79

Squatch57, 68dripedge and aleclee like this.
  18. sonichronic

sonichronic Supporting Member

well I have a lot of Cornish pedals for one
    also I have a WTB up in the emporium looking for old big box, custom or DLX Cornish stuff.
    I had a very unexpected lay-off a couple years back where I had to sell a large lot of Cornish gear (TES Bossfaceplate, Super Chorus, P-1, P-2(this one), BD-1, 3Q-1, NBM-3, Custom MasterVolume for a Colorsound PowerBoost... and non-Cornish I even had to sell a Marcello built Echorec and a bunch of other crap)

Because of the emporium advert, someone reached out saying they had the Sexton P-2. I mentioned I was the one who sold it. we had a laugh (I also didn't sell it via-TGP). though I wasn't down to purchase it right out again... but about a week later they came back asking if I'd do an outright trade for a '73 Rams Head I had for sale. Made sense and it came back! I'm beyond stoked to have it back, it sounds great with my new rig.
    So yes it was a random trade but maybe not the type of random you are thinking of.

Big in Japan likes this.
  19. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

I bought a JTM-45 from Bruce John Dickinson from Little Angels.

20. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

Sold a '69 Marshall plexi to Steve @ Angela Instruments who sold it to Steve Steven's. It became his favorite plexi (he had a few!) and used it on Michael Jackson's Thriller album.

Sold a near mint '60 tweed Bassman to Cesar Diaz who sold it to SRV the next day. They were recording In Step at the Power Station and he ended up using it all over that album. He mentioned that amp in a few guitar mag articles.

Ryan Adams bought a partscaster I had listed on Reverb. We traded a few emails back and forth afterwards. He "loved it beyond belief" and used it on tour and on The Late Show with Steven Colbert.

pomfret, dirtytony, Matteo11 and 8 others like this.