Have any of you tried a small amp as your monitor and sent another signal to the PA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tbone135, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I'm thinking about trying that this weekend. I've had a little VibroChamp pointed right at me for the stage, but that little 8" speaker just sounds boxy. I'm thinking about using a Pod XT on a separate send to the PA after my pedalboard for the house mix. Have any of you had success with this?

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a bass amp that is 50 watts that I do this with. It has an XLR DI that goes to the board and I just use the amp as a monitor. The DI is not affected by the volume knob so I can do what i want and I don't screw up the sound man. Works great for low and medium volume stage applications. I think you can do the same with a Roland Cube 60 (but not the Cube 30 as there is no dedicated DI, just a headphone out).

3. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I'm thinking maybe the Pod XT would be a bigger sound than the Champ mic'd up, due to the speaker configuration.

4. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Judging by the lack of response, this is either a wonderful plan for great sound or the worst idea since the leisure suit. Perhaps I'll switch to the kazoo.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

If I'm understanding you, it sounds goofy to me. I wouldn't want the audience hearing something different from what I'm hearing. If you really want to do that, don't use your amp at all and rely on the monitors to get hear yourself. At least you'll be hearing the same thing the audience does.

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Well, the Pod would be set for a pretty similar amp like a Deluxe Reverb or an AC30 set really clean. My sound comes from my pedalboard. IEMs and relying on our monitors aren't an option right now.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Why not just replace your amp then?

8. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I have to keep my stage volume WAY down. The champ is only there since my DRRI is just too loud for this room.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

So what are you trying to accomplish? A fatter sound out of the PA? How about a 4 x 12 cabinet emulator like the RedBox or Ultra-G?

10. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Well, the Champ doesn't have an out for me to try either a Red Box or an Ultra G. And I've tried both of those pedals with a DRRI, but they need a cranked amp to really do it right.

11. freeradical

freeradical Member

You could try another speaker in the champ. I mic'ed up a Vibro champ and it worked for me. I recently got a Superbaby and had a 10" cabinet made. That's what I'm using now.

12. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I would put a 10" in there, but I don't want an irreversible mod to this amp. Plus I don't want the added volume. The sound, yeah-but no more volume.