Have CDs become obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Yossi, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

I have hundreds of CDs and yet I listen to music via the web or by mp3.
    Not very long ago, when I heard someone that I liked I would buy their CD copy it to my MAC and then have it on iTunes.
    With Spotify, and MOG the webware that I have at home, pretty much eliminates the need to go buy a CD.

I'm not sure if I should hang on to my CDs or find some other use for them.

What is your situation?

2. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

I still buy them, but I'm finding that I only buy them anymore when a band I really like puts out an album or if I happen to be in a place that sells them used/cheap. Otherwise, it's pretty much just iTunes.

3. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I buy mp3s, mostly from Amazon and bandcamp or whatever else if a local act. I ripped all my CDs and tapes to high bit rate mp3s a few years ago. Now I have a couple hard drives to keep em backed up.

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Besides the occasional record.....if not for a CD, I would not know another way to buy music.

5. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

If I find a bargain bin cd that fills a gap for me, I'll buy it and rip it to iTunes. Otherwise, I use online downloads now. Changing times...

6. Bogner

Bogner Member

I love cd's and the art work and lyric booklet, etc. I am old school. I love my vinyl as well. I am not getting rid of my stuff.

7. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Just ordered a couple from Amazon yesterday- only because they were cheaper than iTunes. Otherwise, I buy from iTunes.

8. goldentrout2009

goldentrout2009 Member

At least CDs can't be deleted by a computer virus. I'm still old-fashioned enough to want a hard copy that will withstand hard drive crashes, lost/damaged computers, etc. Once it's on CD it's pretty indestructible (unless you lose the CD).

9. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

I like to have the actual, full-quality cd in my possession - not a gazillion compromised mp3s. Clouds are great but clouds aren't permanent. Look up.

10. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

They are definitely obsolete. That's the main reason the record industry and cd stores are crumbling. When I go on the road, we take a few cds and stacks of vinyl. The vinyl sells, the cds sit. Same with online orders. I made the switch over myself about 5 or 6 years ago. I sold my cds for a decent profit at the time. I'm not sure what they'd go for now. My advice would be to go with the wave of the future and sell those things while they're still worth a little bit. Otherwise you'll find yourself with the equivalent of boxes of those moldy old Sonny & Cher records you see at flea markets for a nickel a piece (still not selling).

11. badhorsie551

badhorsie551 Member

I still buy them. I just prefer to own the actual product and look at the booklet.

But of course I rip them into my iPod classic as a lossless file.

I seem to get lucky with finding great prices on used cds online and from half priced books.

12. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Indestructable? - not down here.

Maybe it's just yet another casuality of life in the tropics, but after about 4-5 years down here (I'm at the beach)) I noticed some of my cd's had the film start to flake off the recorded side - it looks like some kind of corrosion actually - and that cd will start to skip, and eventually it won't even cue up the 1st track.

Anyone else have similar issues?

13. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I still buy CD’s. I will buy an mp3 from Amazon if I need to learn a new song and I don’t have a reason to buy the CD. Even mp3’s with a high bit rate sound poor to me.

14. taez555

taez555 Member

My car stereo only plays CD's. I spend several hours a day in my car commuting. I like music.

15. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

16. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Not buying it.

17. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Same here.
    .aiff, because some cd players freak over .wav files

18. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

Because it is completely untrue. I don't think this guys band cd sales reflect anything other than his band cd sales. People that get it still buy records and cd's.

19. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

Yes, they have been replaced by 33 1/3 RPM Long Playing Records (vinyl).

Mike

20. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

I have thousands of CDs, and a few hundred LPs, I refuse to listen to mp3s, and like some others, I want the physical artifact produced by the artist (to whatever studio standard they intended) so CDs and LPs are still my thing.