Have Goodsell, Want....Goodsell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dividedsky, Feb 10, 2015.

1. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

So I currently have a Goodsell 5 watt and have previously owned a Goodsell Tinibox. These are cool amps but I want something a little bigger with more options. I'm really stuck on where to look next. I am interested in the Super 17, Valpreaux, and GC-12. I think they could all cover the sounds I am looking for which is what makes it so hard to choose. I'll give a few examples and maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

0:00 - 0:27

3:30 - 4:00

I think the best way I would describe it is that Vox edge of breakup/light OD tone. Right now I'm leaning toward the GC-12 I think...

2. Faded

Faded Member

What kind of volume do you need?

3. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog Silver Supporting Member

I have a Super 17 MKIII and a Custom Super 33.

Out of those options I'd probably go Super 17 MKIV 6v6 but I've never tried the GC12.

Where's GEN DAWG, he's tried them all I believe.

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

First off, nice choice of tones you're going for. We're definitely after the same thing.

I have had a bunch of boutique amps over the last five years, many of them 2xEL84 models. Right now I'm using a Goodsell Super 17mk2 (the larger cab, three-knob version). I have a Dr. Z Brake Lite installed and a Scumnico speaker in it. It has proven to be a GAS-killer for me. The only amp I enjoyed as much without reservation was a Vox AC15HW1X that I modded to more vintage specs.

I use mostly Teles, including one that I've put the GVGC/Lollar pickups in like Taylor Goldsmith has in his whiteguard. What works for me is to dial in a little bite at the amp, and then hit the front end with varying levels of clean boost for different sounds. My board includes an EP Boost and a Dr. Sci RRR set for a slight boost, along with an SP Comp, Lunar Module and Plimsoul for more sustainy/saturated tones.

I chose the Goodsell because it was solid and simple. I don't need onboard trem or reverb or a complicated tone stack, but I do need master volume.

FWIW, I briefly owned a S17 Mk4 but the small cab sounded overly boxy to me. I definitely like the bigger cab. I also had a Custom 33 1x12 with reverb and trem. I foolishly sold it and traded through about a dozen amps before coming back to the S17 in the same size cab with less features. :/

5. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

If you haven't played a Super 17, it is worth your time to experience Richards original flagship amp. And his take on amp tremolo is also excellent.

6. playthecray

playthecray Member

The Goodsell S17 is a wonderful amp. I have owned the head model since 2010. Just 3 knobs of simplicity and great tone. The amp will cover those sounds no problem.

7. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

When I asked your question to Richard he told me the s17 as well...On the other hand in the next email I told him I really favored Vox he commented that the GC12 could work as well.

8. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I recently had Richard build me a "custom" Custom 33 head. It's 33 watts with a half power switch, trem, verb, MV, and high and low inputs. As they say with Prego spaghetti sauce, "It's in there!" There's a ton of tons available.

Price was very reasonable but it was part of a promotion he ran using in stock cabinets.

The option of 33 watts gives me great cleans above and beyond what you'd get from his Super 17 and other lower powered heads. I'd highly recommend you check it out.

9. GibsonLives

GibsonLives Supporting Member

I've owned a Super Seventeen Mark Four for about 1.5 years now. It's definitely very Voxy, and should give you those tones. I chose early on (at Richard's suggestion) to replace the stock 12au7 with a 12ax7 in order to bring up the gain-levels and decrease the volume needed for breakup, so mine's substantially dirtier than most. The trem really is sweet, deep and thumpy, and the overall tone is bright and chimey. I leave the reverb cranked at all times, but then, I'm a 'verb junkie, so most guys would probably be happy with it less than full-out. I've actually toyed with the idea of selling it, though I've yet to act upon the urge in any way. On the one hand, it's the most amazing single-channel amp I've ever owned, but on the other hand, I'd really dig a channel-switcher with a loop and maybe more volume (though, at 17 watts, I'd say this amp's louder than a Fender Deluxe, which is rated at 22). If you have more questions about the model, or are interested in possibly buying one in immaculate shape for far less than new, please don't hesitate to give me a shout, and I'll tell you all I can.

Steve

10. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

Oh man - check out a Dominatrix 18! I just sold one and you would probably have LOVED it!!! If not the Dominatrix, I'd look at a Valpreaux or Super 17.

11. RichardGoodsell

RichardGoodsell Member

While it's hard to avoid Vox comparisons on a lot of my EL84 stuff, the GC-12 was really the first willful intentional aim at that type of tone, as evidenced by the EF86 pre-amp. The rest of it is the same as the original Clairmont 17s, only running lower plate voltages with an EZ81 rectifier. It's one of the few models that doesn't take 5v rectifiers, but I was going for an authentic Euro-vibe.

I have started building 2-channel (non-switching) amps by request in 17, 33, and 6V6 versions with ch.1 being a two-knob EF86 and ch.2 is a full TMB MkIV. This has given rise to such heresies as 9-knob front ends, but it covers a lot of tone territories.

12. whatdisay

whatdisay Gold Supporting Member

I will never sell my Super 17 (mk4). I may have it buried with me, just in case.

Crate love likes this.
  13. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Man, I missed this thread. I have played almost everything Richard makes. You want either the S17 or a Custom 33 with a half-power switch. If you are dead-set on Vox tones, the GC12 is more Voxy. Get it with the trem and verb; both are great.

14. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Can't go wrong with a Goodsell. :) Richard doesn't allow unhappy customers. Great amps and great service!

Crate love likes this.
  15. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I have a Custom 33. More sounds in it than a college orgy.

At 33 watts lots of clean headroom. At 17 watts it's a 17 Mk IV. Reverb is good. Tremolo is best in the business. Good master volume provides all the tones you want/need at all volume levels.

And it takes pedals like a charm.

16. trim450

trim450 Member

Are the super 17 and custom 33 pretty transparent amps that don't color your guitars tone much ?