Have I just arrived in Bro Country?

ZMoney

Like others have said, your set is not bro country. Vince Gill is a great artist, and Keith Urban is mostly pop country.

Some examples of bro country include "My Kinda Party" by Jason Aldean or "Cruise" by Florida Georgia Line, which pretty much invented the bro country genre.

Jason Aldean has recorded some quality, traditional-esque country songs on his earlier albums however. "Amarillo Sky" and "The Truth" are good examples of this. I also enjoy "Night Train" and "Fly Over States," which are some good earlier rock country hits.

Country radio today is a mix of a lot of meh poppy stuff and crappy hip hop stuff with some quality stuff between. Occasionally there are a few mainstream artists who produce traditional country songs or elements.

Midland is definitely a very vintage inspired band.

Good country guitar playing is underappreciated and very difficult if you're accustomed to typical blues or rock playing. The Nashville sessions guy, eg Brent Mason, are killer players. So your journey into country is a good opportunity to improve and add a new depth to your playing.

JukeBoxRat

Silver Supporting Member
That reminds me of another tune that I had played in the band that I was in...which falls into the category of severe trauma. If Wagon Wheel is 10 then this one is 11... which is one over the edge...of insanity! :crazy

Holy. Crap. That's. . . something.

MrTAteMyBalls

Thanks guys, you give me a great time!

Already learned a lot. I'll gladly drop the idea of anything "bro-" and be happy with "pop-" instead.
I know a little bit about american music and some of the culture around it, but most of what you're talking about in this context (including most mentioned artists) is unknown territory to me.

(Will be back later, I have a ticket for Beethoven's Triple Concert tonight, that's a little bit different...)

How is the crowd response to these songs? I haven't heard really any country music since moving to Germany 5 years ago(assuming you still live in Germany).

macula56

Just Passin' Thru
Gold Supporting Member
I play a lot of pop, country and hippity hop in my wedding/party band and they are all starting to sound the same to me. Sometimes we do mashups and the only thing that really changes are the lyrics. The only songs that stand out are the old 60's and 70's funk/soul and rock tunes we throw in. Having to play wagon wheel makes me appreciate brown eyed girl and sweet caroline. That's disturbing.

LJOHNS

Silver Supporting Member
I too just joined a country band. I live in WV and country music is a mainstay here. I have listened to it off and on my entire life but never really learned to play any of it. I learned classic rock and blues stuff when I was younger. We have some Brooks and Dunn and a couple Dwight tunes on the list. Yes, Wagon Wheel and… Mustang Sally - yuck! But at this point I just want to play with others and enjoy it. Beats playing alone in my basement and gives me an excuse to buy another Tele and maybe a new amp! Brent Mason played on a lot of the 90s country records and that dude can play. Dwight Yoakum’s player was Pete Anderson back then also a killer player. So I am learning new licks and techniques trying to copy those guys. It fun and challenging!

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
Zac Brown is responsible for that "Chicken Fried" song that people request all the time. I don't know it, but at first it annoyed me to hear the guy's name or the title of that song. Since then I've listened a little bit, here and there, to that band and they're not bad. And they have a video that features hunting and outdoor barbecue, so they can't be all that bad.

Lt Dak

Hillbilly Ron Swanson
Silver Supporting Member
Actually, I hope to play this song live someday...

One of the few movies I saw twice in the theater. It'd be hilarious to hear this song tossed into a set list.

That reminds me of another tune that I had played in the band that I was in...which falls into the category of severe trauma. If Wagon Wheel is 10 then this one is 11... which is one over the edge...of insanity! :crazy

I look back fondly on a time, about 5 minutes ago, when I was unaware this tune existed.

electrolyte

Gold Supporting Member
I don't really know what bro country is, but from time to time I get to sub in a band that does some of what I'd term alt country - like honky tonk, country rock, and/or old school stuff like Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash. Also some Dave Alvin and a healthy dose of Steve Earle and some folky originals. It sure is fun guitar music.

Last edited:

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
It is what it is. Country is far more popular than rock these days. At least new rock.
Just find country tinged music that doesn't suck.
This song has a great hook. At least make it to the chorus.

Last edited:

Simto

Wow...that's...specific. I'd struggle with that. Mostly because I don't come from that background. I grew up in the SF Bay Area so country wasn't a thing. Even then, if I could tolerate playing any country (pretty much don't), it would be something in the Outlaw Country realm.

Actually, I hope to play this song live someday...

Matt Damon

ToneDeVille

I effing HATE Bro Country...it all sounds the same, whether the Bro's are dudes or dudesses. And they all dress the same, have the same tats, and act the same on stage. Plus their back up musicians all look and act like wankers on stage. Nashville's formula is to find some yoot, give him some pointy boots and a hat, and no matter what he plays, just call it country.

And a banjo with 6 strings? WTH is that? Real banjos have 5 strings and belong in bluegrass bands. And bluegrass music isn't country music.

rant over
Now put a dollar in the juke box and put on a Willie song, or some George Jones, or Loretta,
and get off my lawn!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom