Have I just arrived in Bro Country?

Turi

Zac Brown is responsible for that "Chicken Fried" song that people request all the time. I don't know it, but at first it annoyed me to hear the guy's name or the title of that song. Since then I've listened a little bit, here and there, to that band and they're not bad. And they have a video that features hunting and outdoor barbecue, so they can't be all that bad.

This is a song I've never liked listening to, I think it sucks... but it gets requested so often, I've just accepted it as part of my set list and it's always a hit.

It gets people dancing and singing from the first line. That elevates the mood and makes the song pretty much invaluable for me as the musician because those positive vibes roll into other songs etc..

It's a song that every entertainer should know, even if they just cowboy chord it. It's a (relatively) modern classic imo in the same way Mr. Brightside is.

Chicken Fried is probably the most requested song for me - it gets requested more often than any "Chisel" songs (Australian, for context), it gets requested more than "Better" by The Screaming Jets.. it's insane how popular that song is when gigging.

Zac Brown is responsible for that "Chicken Fried" song that people request all the time. I don't know it, but at first it annoyed me to hear the guy's name or the title of that song. Since then I've listened a little bit, here and there, to that band and they're not bad. And they have a video that features hunting and outdoor barbecue, so they can't be all that bad.
Zac Brown Band is legit, and that song is pretty good as far as mainstream country hits of the past 25 years are concerned.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
And a banjo with 6 strings? WTH is that? Real banjos have 5 strings and belong in bluegrass bands. And bluegrass music isn't country music.
Bluegrass is absolutely country music. The (sub-)genre was named after Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, not the other way around.

And tell Sonny Osborne his 6-string isn’t a real banjo. There’s more than one kind of 6-string banjo…

ripgtr

Wagon Wheel was cowritten by Bob Dylan and the guy from Old Crow Medicine Show. Dylan had the chorus and melody back in the 70s when he was working on Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. The guy from Old Crow added the verses later. Old Crow Medicine Shows version is good. First time I heard the Rucker version I though WTF and why. Check out Old Crow Medicine show. It bothers me a bit this song being mentioned in this thread and they weren't. I would classify it as what is now called Americana.

Didn't know the Dylan link. I did mention a while back that Rucker was a cover. I was surprised no one mentioned it, I didn't think the old crow version was That obscure.

I'll match your "Wagon Wheel" and raise you "Silver Wings."
I don't mind playing wagon wheel. I heard the original decades before the cover, and I get to do all the breaks on pedal steel. Fun to play.

Silver Wings? Great song. Sure not in my top 10 of Merle songs, but geez, I could do 4 hours of just Merle songs, I think, and I love some of his lessor know songs. But I've played, and sung, Silver wings dozens, probably more like hundreds, of times. If the band plays the right chords ( a lot don't) and do the harmony, it is really fun, and a great song to solo over, if you can play that stuff.
Yea, bands can hack it up, which is also why folks hate Mustang Sally, but if you have players that can groove, Mustang Sally can be one funky song to play.

Droliver

I view bro-country as just an extension of the horrible 90’s country “hat act” genre - Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Trace Adkins, Kenny Chesney, etc….

Just totally wrecked the genre

Top Bottom