Have I just matured as a player? MIA, MIM and Squire content.

marshall2288

In 2001 I my parents bought me a MIA Standard Strat. I had only been playing guitar about 2 years but I was already sitting in with classic rock cover bands and playing extensively at church. I liked a lot more gain, hard rock and soloing as fast as I could. I didn't bond with the Strat and only played my LP STudio. I sold the Strat.
in 2008 I obtained through a trade a 1991 MIM Strat with lace sensors. I was gigging with my own band, sitting in at local jams and still playing extensively at church. I got along better with that Start but i still liked a fair amount of gain, hard rock and soloing as fast as i could yet i was learning to slow down. I sold the Strat.
2 weeks ago I bought a Squire standard at a pawn shop for $50. After cleaning it up I can't put it down. I've yet to gig with it but as far as bedroom enjoyment, I couldn't be happier. I don't even touch high gain, the treble pickup and I've learned to slow WAY down now-a-days. I love this guitar.

Theres no way this Squire is better specs wise over the MIA and MIMs that I have previously owned. Was I just not "mature" enough for a Strat back then?

Taste changes..don't think it's a maturity thing.
Could be mojo, could be nostalgia, either way you're stoked that's all that matters.

Also to add...something made in America or Mexico doesn't make it "better" then something made in Korea or China. Sometimes as players (myself included) we place too much emphasis on a guitars country of origin. Subjectivity, the American made axe should be "better" but that is hardly a determine factor in what we bond with

xrleroyx

My first guitar was a usa strat. I tried doing system of a down covers on it and other songs with huge amounts of gain. I still play with too much gain, but I love my strat and single coil guitars now.

Feedback is my friend.

tamader74

Also to add...something made in America or Mexico doesn't make it "better" then something made in Korea or China. Sometimes as players (myself included) we place too much emphasis on a guitars country of origin. Subjectivity, the American made axe should be "better" but that is hardly a determine factor in what we bond with
Great post, and pretty spot on. While yes, I agree you ARE more likely to get a 'winner' out of a MIA/MIJ Fender, most all the MIM's I've played as of late can get you right there, especially with a little 'tweaking' in the used marketplace.

Most of these have found their hand's of inexperienced players when bought new, and need a little help to get 'em back up to snuff. I JUST made a trade with my 'acoustic best buddy' for a (MIK) Squire Pro-tone Strat. that the original owner had installed Lace 'Hot' Gold
Lace Sensors, and upgraded the Harness completely (I for the life of me cannot understand why my buddy keeps buying electric guitars,...they NEVER work for him...LOL).

I have had a couple of Pro-Tone Tele.'s (MIK made '96-'99), and everyone a 'winner', and this one is no exception but my first Pro-Tone Strat., I told him the upgrades to this Instrument was probably worth the value in the market today, as the whole guitar due to the flock's of Nay sayer's. A shame really, as I used to be one of the Biggest 'Corksniffers' ever put on the Planet Earth.

Maybe it IS a Maturity thing, as I've always knew 'Certain' facts on MIK/MIJ/CIJ/MIM's (MIC's weren't available at that time),...But my 'Nose in the air' attitude just would NOT admit it orally to anyone, but knew it in my mind.

Having a LOT more fun now, as I accept more things quite readily now,...Oh Yeah, I still have a TON of USA, and even then MIJ love and pride in ownership,...But I've got some FINE MIK Instruments also now, and a couple of MIM Fender amp.'s in the mix. Play what your ears, hands, and heart tells you that feels and sounds good,...Not what the masses TELL you. Tom

marshall2288

Great posts. I'm the opposite of a "cork sniffer". I guess I was just thinking of my tatstes and opinion of tone have changed so much now that single coils and "strat type" tones are more appealing to me than they were all those years back. I'm sure my growth in knowledge and skill have a lot to do with it as well. I guess I just find it funny that I have gone through the different types of Strats in reverse order. I wonder how that 1st MIA Strat would sound to me now a days?

dcooper830

Maturing as a player comes from growing musically.. learning new ideas and concepts... Increasing your vocabulary of licks and chords.. learning the fretboard... theory... increasing your repetoire.. etc..

Does not come from playing slower or faster.. or what guitar you use.. or what your gain settings are.

IMO of course.

marshall2288

Of course not. Maybe I should have been more specific. When I started playing I was a Zakk Wylde speedster with full on distortion, pinch harmonics and all the metal mastery one could think of. I wanted a Strat because I liked SRV yet that early in the game, I wasn't knowledgeable enough to realize how to get those tones.

Strato62

I have been playing guitar since 1974. I own a number of American Strats. What gets the most playing time? A $50 Squier Strat. I am really liking cheap guitars these days.

Bodeanicus

A good guitar is a good guitar. Those of us without wealthy parents discover this through necessity. Keep an open mind, and ears, and you will find some diamonds in the rough. Enjoy your guitar without shame.

84superchamp

who's yer
Gold Supporting Member
that clean (or semi-clean) strat sound is really special, can't think of any other guitar that comes close. sounds like you discovered it & liked it, a cool thang.

anyone else bothered by MIM necks? it may have been just the strats i tried but there seems to be a real diff in MIM & MIA necks. body, pups, tuners, ect, are pretty similar but definately something in the necks just feels different..teles and strats.

sarge40

Squiers can be pretty neat guitars with a little tweaking. I had two Squier Bullets at one time. Bottom of the barrel pricewise, but a very nice value to price ratio. Sold one, and held onto the second. I had to change two critical things to make it nicely playable - the nut and the tuners. Once that was accomplished, and after a good setup, it plays very nicely. The stock singles are ceramic, and sound a bit hotter than the MIA singles. I changed out the bridge pickup for a Dimarzio Fast Track 1 and added coil splitting for it, and now its a real winner! Bridge does gain VERY well, and the neck and middle get me where I want to be with cleans. Won't ever compare to my MIA, but sounds and feels like I have a lot more in it than the little over two bills I paid for everything.

richey88

My Classic Vibe Strat is a real gem. Added a giant brass block and Real Vintage springs. The pickups are fantastic IMO, I have them fairly low. One of thesedays I will get around to replacing the pots and wiring, but it's my go - to. Oly white w/ gold aluminum 'guard. ALso have an Affinity that I did replace the pots/wires and added Fender Tex-Mex pups. also very nice.

Trending Topics