• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Have I killed my RRV-10?

Sleepyscholar

I picked up a Boss RRV-10 half-rack reverb recently, as I needed a reverb, and it was going for a little over 3000 yen (so about $30). I thought at that price I couldn't miss, and it did indeed seem to do pretty much what I wanted.

As it was a half-rack, though, I wondered if I could control it with a pedal. There was an 'effect remote jack' so into it I plugged the Hughes & Kettner FS-2 footswitch that came with my amp (Tubemeister 18). It's a latching footswitch, albeit a two-button one. It did seem to turn the effect light on and off, so I thought I could use it. I also then for some reason plugged in a Boss FV300L expression pedal to see if that did anything, but of course it didn't. Anyway, when I connected it all up to listen to, I discovered that the reverb effect had disappeared. Now however the thing is connected, footswitch or no, effect light on or off, all I get is the direct signal.

Being ignorant of the technicalities here, I'm wondering what you think of the chances of fixing this. If it seems likely that I've irrevocably fried something, I might as well just chuck it (though there was no smell, and I could see no sign of damage when I looked inside). If it seems likely that it can be easily fixed without great expense, though, I wouldn't mind trying it. But as I say, I'm too ignorant to do it myself, and if I take it to a shop here they're probably going to charge me more than I paid for it just to take a look.

I would be immeasurably grateful for any thoughts.

Able Grip

Do you solder?

I would look inside for a fuse. Then I would make a jumper (paperclip) to see if I could jump the input jack you were messing with.

Sleepyscholar

Do you solder?

I would look inside for a fuse. Then I would make a jumper (paperclip) to see if I could jump the input jack you were messing with.
Thanks for replying. I don't solder, which is why I posted such a plaintive request (if I had even that basic level of technical nous, I wouldn't have been futzing with the jack, I guess). I did have a look inside, but it's quite packed in there. I didn't see anything resembling a fuse, but I'll have another look.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I can't see how anything you've done to it could harm it. My first guess is that you have put it in bypass, try hooking up the switch again and try with audio going back and fourth.

Sleepyscholar

I can't see how anything you've done to it could harm it. My first guess is that you have put it in bypass, try hooking up the switch again and try with audio going back and fourth.
Hi Blix: thanks for the suggestion. I also didn't see how I could have damaged it. I tried hooking the footswitch back up, pressing all sorts of combinations on both switches. Still nothing (no wait: I didn't try pressing both buttons simultaneously!). Even hooked up a Boss DriveZone pedal I have that has an 'amp control' output, to see if that made a difference.

Still, the encouraging thing I'm getting here is that I shouldn't have harmed it, so it should be fixable. Right?

Scott Auld

Administrator
Staff member
I'd hesitate to give this advice to complete strangers. Not everyone has the same level of expertise, it would really suck if your advice combined with his skill level killed him.

Sleepyscholar

I'd hesitate to give this advice to complete strangers. Not everyone has the same level of expertise, it would really suck if your advice combined with his skill level killed him.
Luckily my skill level combines with an awareness of my skill level, so I'm not about to poke about with a paperclip inside anything electrical, even DC 9V. And the poster did open his comment with 'Do you solder?' which kind of established the level of minimal skill required.

Appreciate your concern, though. There is often an assumption of a high level of competence around here.

Trending Topics