Have OCD, need more distortion. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JD411, Sep 23, 2006.

1. JD411

JD411 Member

Hey guys,

I've got an OCD, but I want something w/ more gain. I've been looking into the Crunchbox and Xotic BB Preamp. Any thoughts?

2. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

Crunch Box is good, MI Audio Tube Zone is even better. The Tube Zone is about the only pedal that's stayed on my pedalboard consistently.

3. JD411

JD411 Member

Thanks for the Tube Zone suggestion. I'll definitely have to check it out. I've heard some say the Tube Zone or the Crunch Box are similar to the ProCo Rat (can't remember which now). Do either of them compare to the Rat in your opinion? I know Keeley makes a modded Rat that I hear is pretty good.

4. diegs

diegs Member

Just got a crunchbox. I really like it a lot for heavier distortion stuff. I haven't played a rat, but compared to the samples on the keeley site, it does sound similar. People with more experience than me have also said that they're similar.

You can get a crunchbox for $100 and it's true-bypass... that's why I went for it over the keeley rat (which is significantly more expensive).

5. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

Try a Tonebone Classic or British, lots of shaping options to find yor tone and driving that tube harder after another od is one of my faves. I drive my classic with a MXR micro amp . I bet the OCD would sound even better.

6. gooma

gooma Member

I`d have to agree with the Tube Zone suggestion

It`s an extremely versatile pedal and can get very close to the sounds of the crunchbox.
    It sounds very simular to a recto with the mids lower and the character control turned up a little, turn up the mids and lower the character control and it get more into Marshall territory. It also sounds just as good doing a lower gain crunch as it does the high gain stuff.

The crunchbox is an awesome pedal also but it`s more so a hotrodded marshall sound. It`s probably better suited to higher gain stuff than medium gain IMO.

I`d even suggest getting both as they are great value:AOK

Brad

7. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

+1 :D

Tube Zone=Mesa Recto

Crunch Box=Marshall JCM 800

You could try pushing the Crunch Box a little harder with a MI Audio Blues Pro. That's supposed to sound cool.

For me though, I haven't found anything to beat the Tube Zone. I've tried the Radial Tone Bone Hot British but the lower end wasn't tight enough for me. The Hot British sounds great, it does '80's or 90's style metal sounds great. Anything more modern where you're really using the low end it gets a little flabby sounding.

I'm getting a DNA Analogic Gain FxxKer soon. I'll have to see how it stands up to the Tube Zone.

8. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

I modded my OCD to get the tone I wanted. It was a little bright and did not have quite enough gain for higher gained stuff (relatively speaking). Mine is a V1. I changed one of the caps for a smoother tone (less highs, more mids), but what really changed the character of the pedal is what I did afterward. I took out the battery clip and soldered in a slightly modified Linear Power Boost (based on the Electro-Harmonix) but reduced the gain in the circuit a little so that it would stay a clean boost. It changed the way the pedal reacts quite a bit. I have the LPB volume sticking out the side which becomes a second gain control. It can still do low gain sounds (but now warmer), and can venture into high gain now. It kicked a 6 knob Tube Zone clean off my board. I use a Timmy, Eternity and Zendrive for my low/med gain stuff and use the mod OCD for Van Halen 1 sounds through modern high gain. If you can solder at all I highly recommend it.

If not, you may like the Tube Zone which is extremely versatile but didn't really capture any one sound I was crazy about. The Subdecay Blackstar also does high gain and is somewhat similar in EQ as an OCD. I just found it redundant with the modded OCD. The Hot British is very loose like Dave Simpson said, especially in the low end. The Xotic BB does not really have any more gain than the OCD. I was quite disappointed with it. Some people here really love it though. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it! Good luck to you.
    -Angle Loss

9. JD411

JD411 Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I know some pedals interact w/ amps differently. I have a Maz38 Sr 2x12 (which is somewhat of a bright sounding amp to my ear) and was wondering if any of you would change your opinions based on the type of amp one is playing the effect through?

10. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

You should be able to compensate with the Tube Zone EQ. It's got a very wide usable range. It just takes a little time to figure out how the controls interact but once you get them dialed in it's worth it. Tonal nirvana.:D

11. JD411

JD411 Member

W/ the Tubezone, does it clean up well when you roll off your volumne knob on the guitar?

12. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Member

It does if you don't have the gain on 11!:dude

13. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Tubezone and the crunchbox are great, but the bass cut evident in those circuits is not my thing..... However, if I had a very bass heavy tube amp with high watt rated speakers, I would definitely like those pedals to even things out.... However, with even voiced amps like older marshalls etc... that bass is nasty! The StageHOG or the BJF DRD is the only thing that I have found that won't suck the original amps mojo and the amps full spectrum... I should say that Bjorn specially voiced my DRD and he did a hell of a job

14. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Great suggestions already...do you have a TS9 type pedal? Set that to a gritty boost and stick it before the OCD. I get great results with this.
    Greg

15. Phil M

Phil M Member

You feel the Tubezone cuts bass? Must be rig dependent because I did not find that to be the case at all with mine. At live volume it seems to add low end if anything.

16. gooma

gooma Member

1+

I`ve only heard of guys complaining of the Tube Zone having a little too much low end, which can be changed by adjusting the internal presence control to around 9 oclock. It`s so tweakable that i`m suprised to hear of the loss of low end too.

I guess it all comes down to how you dial in your amp, i`ve also found the crunch box to have plenty of low end through my plexi.

17. Thazy

Thazy Member

+1 on this suggestion. I use a Keeley TS808 set this way into the OCD and it's all the gain I would ever need.

18. dave s

dave s Member

The Crunch Box is definitely not RAT territory in terms of sound/tone. CB is much thicker, even when you open up the tone control a bit.

As others have stated and for the money, the CB is a pretty useful pedal. It does the on-demand harmonic feedback on chords and single notes really well and even with single coils.

dave

19. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

man, I used to play in a hardcore/metal band a while back and I don't think that even then I would have needed more gain than an OCD delivers when it's pushing a crunchy amp...

then again, I have always preferred to play dead clean.

20. renäng

renäng Member

If you play a clean amp, the crunchbox is very hard to beat.
    Through my 65 super reverb, it´s the best distortion tone I´ve had, and I used to have a Bad Cat, Diezel Herbert and a CAA OD100.

Andreas