• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Have the Burnley, now what about the Wessex?

BrentSP

Silver Supporting Member
Love the Bogner Burnley, fantastic distortion pedal that sounds more amp like than even the XTC pedals (I own them to). Only thing I wish it had was a mid knob or way to boost mids. I keep my clean channel at around 10:30 so its a little scooped sounding once the pedal kicks on. When I up the mids on the clean to noon its perfect. That's what I'm doing now to get the mids I want.

So what about the Wessex? Is it better in front of a clean channel, does it work will with cascading gain stages?

alguit

Silver Supporting Member
Great into a clean channel, sweet top end, and it stacked well on either side, retaining definition.

Meriphew

I bought a Burnley which led me to buying a Wessex as well. I have a LOT of great OD/Distortion pedals, but the Wessex has become my #1 dirt box.

NBlair930

Platinum Supporting Member
Yes, it is a slippery slope getting into the Bogner/Neve pedals: I started with the Wessex and it led to me buying them all (Harlow, Burnley, Lyndhurst, etc.). Truly amazing pedals. Whilst I love the Wessex, the Harlow (dirty boost/compressor) is my favorite ‘always ON’ pedal.

johnh

The Wessex is my favourite "always-on" pedal. It cleans up really well. It sounds more woody and chunky than the OCD which I ran in that position for years before I bought the Wessex.

It has a huge amount of headroom for a pedal - which means if you run a clean boost before the Wessex, it boosts the volume as well as the drive. By contrast, into many other pedals, a clean drive will only overdrive the pedal more - not increase volume.

The term "amp-like" is a very unevenly team on here, but the Wessex is the most amp like pedal I've used.

Burnley and Wessex combo is the best drive / higain combo I've had in many years of searching.

Burnley covers my heavier riffs / leads and palm mutes etc and the Wessex covers everything from low-gain 'hair' all the way to marshall like tones depending on pups (ESP Eclipse II with SD JB/59 here)

So far I've resisted the temptation to try the Harlow, mainly as I run the Xotic EP Boost in front of the Wessex and Burnley and I love the tones i get from them (all going into an AMT V-1 JFET preamp).

As some have said, the Burnley is a relatively dark sounding pedal, and if there was one improvement i'd make to it would be for it to have the same dedicated Bass and Treble knobs the Wessex has.

The best thing about these pedals is the INSANE headroom, they are whisper quiet and I actually have to run my level at around 10pm for unity - this is a start contrast from most other dirt pedals where u don't really get a usable gain / level range witout excessive noise and squealing.

Can pretty much say that I doubt I will ever flip these 2 pedals, love em to bits!

NBlair930

Platinum Supporting Member
So far I've resisted the temptation to try the Harlow
Don’t resist....try the Harlow. Seeing as you like the other Bogner/Neve offerings, I really think you will enjoy the Harlow. Might be my OCD but I like the Harlow so much I have considered buying another just to be safe. It’s that good.

Trending Topics