Have the new line of Redplate Amps truly surpassed the old?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Yossi, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

HH seems to be constantly on the move with his amps. I don't see either my Magic Dust Duo combo or my Black Loop combo up anymore on his website.

What are the improvements in the new line over the old?

2. MHG

MHG Member

I'm pretty sure your amps are current in terms of tone. Henry's dealers asked him to streamline his line to make it easier for customers to understand. He still offers all of his amps, like my TruVerb, in his Legacy series. By no means are his Legacy amps outdated or inferior in any way. My TruVerb remains one of the best amps I've ever played.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  3. Ramblin Hymns

Ramblin Hymns Member

I have the new RP50 but with a Xformer in it so it takes EL-34's to KT-88's. Love this amp but my MDD50 watt which is the first MDD is a better sounding amp IMO. I won't get rid of that one. It's also the only MDD50.

4. Yossi

Yossi Member

Thanks for your replies. Any more?

5. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

I am a newcomer and have a Blackverb. Henry told me that it's an RP50R without the tweed preamp. He's doing a new line of Marshall-style amps now that are getting great reviews. I'm sure he tweeks things but I'd guess the basics are still there.

6. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

MHG has it right. Puckbucker too.

I really like having Blackface & Tweed in a single amp and that's where the current RP amps make a lot of sense and the key difference that I appreciate. Henry told me that there were some refinements to the Drive about the time the RP series came out and I'm pretty impressed with it's expressive yet smoother operation. There are also a couple of switching advancements in these amps that could likely be engineered into your BlackLoop and maybe the MDD.

The M-style amps look/sound sick, saw them at the LA AMP Show and they were pretty darn impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a clean/gain amp quite as well done as the Magica. That thing was a stunner. Guitar Player did a highly favorable review of a Magica combo in their Jan 15 issue, liked everything about the amp except for the Vintage30 speaker, which I actually liked with that amp.

Yossi, I think I recall hearing clips of your rigs and I thought it all sounded pretty good!

NamaEnsou likes this.
  7. Yossi

Yossi Member

Thank you. I appreciate the kind words. The new Magica got my attention. I think I'm going to call HH at some point. I suffer from GAS. No lacking but still wanting.

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

As henry once told me:

"Your MDD might be the best sound MDD that has come back to the store"
    It is a 100Watt little monster.

I have the option adjust the send level in the loop , I know i can do it myself and the new ones have this fixed and cannot be moved.

I can get mine to sound a bit louder and fatter, bigger even bolder if i want it to.

I really love this amp and would not change a thing.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  9. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

I stopped into the RedPlate shop a couple of months ago and got to try out the Magica, the new Overdrive Special(?) and a BlackVerb Junior (BV with no OD).

I have had 4 RPs to date; an early BlackLoop, a relatively early BlackVerb, a Magic Dust Duo, and a CD2. I still have the BlackLoop and the BlackVerb because those are my two favorite amps (that I've played) to date. I could see myself getting an RP40 or 50R. A used TweedyDrive might also entice me but, man, the blackface, tweed, and legacy OD together really sound like the ultimate to me.

Henry makes amps for more people than just me, though, so I'm not surprised that they ALL don't turn me on equally. While I liked the Magica a lot (and I'm sure others love it), I prefer Henry's D-style OD more and really, really, really like his blackface preamps.

The one thing in common with all of his amps is the outstanding cleans that you can get. "It's all about the cleans". To me, it all starts there and the OD, no matter which style you prefer, is a huge bonus. It's great that Henry offers different styles of OD and that he (and Keith) can work with people on refining amps to their liking.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  10. newking70

newking70 Member

hard to tell with no sound clips. :dunno