Have to choose a guitar in the next two weeks please help!1

g335

I am going to buy a new guitar in the next two weeks.
I would like some help with suggestions with what to buy. I have a list of guitars here.

I was pretty much ready to buy a guitar but after seeing the Police live I want to get a variety of more sounds. I really like the tone and sound Andy Summers gets. I like the sound. I normally don't like strats but I am thinking maybe ok to get one.
The type of music/sounds/tones I am looking for(of course my own sound will be made but using these as reference points.) are stuff like The Cure(Wish Album), Cream(think songs Crossroads/I feel free) Soundgarden(Think Super Unknown and Down on the Upside albums), Van Halen (think Roth era/Unchained) and The Police(all) I really like the sound of the Police.
I already own a Gibson 335 with 57 classic, MIJ Jazzmaster with japanese jazzmaster pickups.
The guitars I am thinking of are:

CIJ 62 Tele resissue http://fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2007fender/telecaster.htm
model number TL62B-82TX (You have to click on the model number to see the guitar)

Fender CIJ 62 Reissue Strat
http://fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2007fender/stratocaster.htm
model number ST62-78TX (You have to click on the model number to see the guitar)

Epiphone Les Paul

Schecter Ultra III
http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp

Schecter Tempest Black Jack

The Tempest Black Jack humbuckers can be split.

Please help. I need to buy a guitar soon. Would my 335 be fine to cover all of these?

Please help thanks
Oh yeah remember The Police is in my head as far tone now for two weeks

jjboogie

I am going to buy a new guitar in the next two weeks.
I would like some help with suggestions with what to buy. I have a list of guitars here.

I was pretty much ready to buy a guitar but after seeing the Police live I want to get a variety of more sounds. I really like the tone and sound Andy Summers gets. I like the sound. I normally don't like strats but I am thinking maybe ok to get one.
The type of music/sounds/tones I am looking for(of course my own sound will be made but using these as reference points.) are stuff like The Cure(Wish Album), Cream(think songs Crossroads/I feel free) Soundgarden(Think Super Unknown and Down on the Upside albums), Van Halen (think Roth era/Unchained) and The Police(all) I really like the sound of the Police.
I already own a Gibson 335 with 57 classic, MIJ Jazzmaster with japanese jazzmaster pickups.
The guitars I am thinking of are:

CIJ 62 Tele resissue http://fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2007fender/telecaster.htm
model number TL62B-82TX (You have to click on the model number to see the guitar)

Fender CIJ 62 Reissue Strat
http://fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2007fender/stratocaster.htm
model number ST62-78TX (You have to click on the model number to see the guitar)

Epiphone Les Paul

Schecter Ultra III

Schecter Tempest Black Jack

The Tempest Black Jack humbuckers can be split.

Please help. I need to buy a guitar soon. Would my 335 be fine to cover all of these?

Please help thanks
Oh yeah remember The Police is in my head as far tone now for two weeks

I would say go with one of the Fenders since you already have a guitar with Humbuckers. I have a 335 and it is extremely versatile. But I think for all the tones you describe the 335 will be too thick. You will need a solid body guitar. I do not have any real gigging experience with Schecters. I have played them in stores and hated them and I can say I do not like the way they look but that is my personal preference.

I just sold my Strat not because I did not like the sound but I did not like the feel....I could never get used to not hitting the pick up switch when playing.....For me Tele's work better mechanically.

Try them both at a music store standing up with a strap on through an amp... Bring your pedals too! Heck bring your amp if you want. But just make sure you play them both side by side and see what FEELS best.. Strats and Teles both sound great and are extremely versatile but the guitar itself will PICK YOU!!!

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
All I can say in my old age is, buy a guitar that YOU like , thats sounds good and feels good to you. i think its not wise to by a guitar based on what some other guitar player sounded like.
A famous player has tons more stuff at his disposal than you and probably could make any guitar sound great . Play a few through a set up similar to what you have and buy based on what you will like playing.
just my 2 cents

g335

All I can say in my old age is, buy a guitar that YOU like , thats sounds good and feels good to you. i think its not wise to by a guitar based on what some other guitar player sounded like.
A famous player has tons more stuff at his disposal than you and probably could make any guitar sound great . Play a few through a set up similar to what you have and buy based on what you will like playing.
just my 2 cents
The guitar I want is the Gibson Chet Atkins Country Gentleman but super hard to find.

I want to buy a guitar soon because I am getting back into playing and I need inspiration and no other guitars have spoken to me. I have wanted a tele for a long time but ahhhhhhhh.

I want to buy something because I really want to get back into playing( busy from work and other things). I was going to wait and save and get something expensive but I want to play now and I am not feeling my 335 right now(for a while).I haven't played guitar in a long time, after seeing the Police show, it really gave me super inspiration.

padavis

Why not grab a G&L Bluesboy used? Andy Summers used that type of pickup combination, although Id say the Bluesboy is probably a bit different sounding but I bet youd come close. A used one or a Tribute should be in that same price range. To me the Tributes are as fine as CIJ Fenders and certainly as good as the Schecters...

g335

Why not grab a G&L Bluesboy used? Andy Summers used that type of pickup combination, although Id say the Bluesboy is probably a bit different sounding but I bet youd come close. A used one or a Tribute should be in that same price range. To me the Tributes are as fine as CIJ Fenders and certainly as good as the Schecters...
I would try one, but I don't know of any Japanese stores that have the G&Ls here.

padavis

Oh! Holy crap youre in Japan? Well, in that case try to find a Fender! Good Japanese Fenders are hard to beat. Are the Schecters you are looking at made in Japan? Actually, I dont know if they make those there... anyways, go with the Fender Tele. It will do what you want I believe!

bluesrules

Classic sounds with Tele or Strat. Personaly I'd pick Tele, no frills lota thrills, but it can be an aquired taste. Not for everone. Like said before find the right guitar "FOR" you!

g335

Oh! Holy crap youre in Japan? Well, in that case try to find a Fender! Good Japanese Fenders are hard to beat. Are the Schecters you are looking at made in Japan? Actually, I dont know if they make those there... anyways, go with the Fender Tele. It will do what you want I believe!
The Schecters are made in Korea
The Ultra III looks nice but don't know how it sounds

straightblues

Skip the Epi Les Paul and Schecter black jack. If you want a Les Paul there are better ones to choose from in Japan including the old Grecos, Burny and Ibanez models. Or one of the new Edwards models. But in truth, your 335 will cover most of the Les Paul tones.

The Schecter Ultra III has some cool tones. If you want a different sound that is a great one to choose.

The CIJ Strats are great. The strat will sound very different from you Jazzmaster.

Trending Topics