Have to pick one or the other...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bard2dbone, Jun 18, 2008.

1. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Okay, so in my case I happened to find two of my favorite amps at the same time and even in the same store, no less.

Sitting only a couple of feet apart were a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and a Mesa/Boogie Mark I combo.

The Mk I is by far my favorite Mesa product. And the DRRI is my favorite Fender amp currently...but I can barely afford one and definitely can't afford both. I suppose I would end up using the Fender more. But of the two it's the easier one to find if I don't get it right away.

I REALLY want both of them. But I can't have both of them...This part can go back and forth for days. The price is nearly the same. $550 for one $600 for the other. So that doesn't really help me make up my mind.

Help me decide. The Mk I is becoming fairly rare. I haven't seen one in a store before this one in a couple of years. But the Fender is so good for all the tones I'd actually use to record.

Crap. I can't make up my mind.

2. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Which store was this again??

3. Londoncalling

Londoncalling Member

A question to ask yourself is "Can I crank the Boogie enough to get the sound I want?".

FWIW, at those prices I'd get the Boogie!

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

Man! I just do not know much about Mesas. But I can tell you that DRRI's are a dime a dozen (and there are more being made as we speak). If you pass on the Mesa, would it be hard to find a another one later?

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Actually a Mk I is pretty rare already (unless it's the reissue). Does it have reverb? EQ? With reverb, I'd definitely grab that. If you don't bond you can sell and at least break even...

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

Are you kidding? MKI all the way.

7. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

No reverb. It's the bare bones version. It could be a reissue that has had a bit of cabinet abuse. Or it could legitimately be about thirty years old. I really don't know enough to look and know on Mesa's. It has a great Moan-tone, which is what my old guitar player called his near Santana sound. But you have to crank it pretty hard. That's actually a bad thing for where it would be getting played.

The biggest thing going for the DR was that you can get good usable tones at fairly low volumes. And you can get fairly loud volumes too, enough for jams and small gigs, anyway.

Basically, the DR is what I should get and the Boogie is what I want to get.

8. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

no choice, mkI all the way.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The Boogie has bigger and better everything, 'cept maybe tone(!), for what you need. Tough choice, but I'd rather have the Mesa for a while and unload it if it didn't work out.
    YMMV

10. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

I had a Mark IIB with an EVM 12L. I'm not sure how similar they are to a Mark I but the cleans in my Mark IIB were pretty underwhelming. And I personally find the overdrive of the DRRI, with or without a pedal, much sweeter vs the Mesa. Add to that a better speaker and tubes when you can afford it and you'll have a bona fide "tone machine".
    But remember that's just my opinion. It could very well be the Mark I sounds much better than the DRRI. I don't honestly know.

Tom

11. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I find myself thinking I could get the Mesa and just sell it after I've had it a while, because I know I'll basically never be able to crank it up loud enough to get to where it sounds best. Nearly all of the reasons that the thinking part of my brain says go with the DR are about volume levels. The DR makes better low-level sounds. But the Mesa sure makes a LOT of sound.

Once again, I probably should get the DR, but I WANT to get the Mesa.

12. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

get the mesa, if you find you dont like it, sell it and there wont be much loss if any. If you get the DRRI, you'll never be happy because you'll have wanted the mesa.

13. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

I passed on both. A friend got the Mesa after I mentioned it to him. It was a reissue and it was beat to hell, hence the $600 price. It spent more time in the shop than being used. I guess I know now why the previous owner traded it in. It was great for a couple of hours at atime and then it had to rest.

In an odd coincidence, the friend who bought the Mesa and re-sold it a few weeks ago, is the guy who has the amp I'm trying to replicate. Until I saw this one of his, I was thinking of a good one channel amp that took pedals well. Then he brought an apparently Omega modded Hot Rod Deluxe to a jam and I LOVED it! He is a accountant and has way more money than he needs and spends a BUNCH of it on gear. He probably has about a dozen good guitar amps at a time and this HRDlx is the only one he's brought out since he got it.

So I got myself a Limited Edtition Tweed Hot Rod Deluxe with a Jensen speaker for Christmas. I am eventually going to get it modded, but I'm digging it as-is, for now.