Have to return the nicest gibson i've played

colinesquire

Got a deal on a les paul future tribute. Light weight & sounds amazing with the 57 classics. The action is the slinkiest i've ever played and feels perfect doing bends and chords. The problem is the awful neck profile make my hand cramp. It is a 60s asymmetrical-has anyone tried this? I typically like fat 50s necks but have played a few 60s that were comfortable. The problem is the treble side has almost a sharp contour and my hand kills after a few minutes of playing. If it was a little beefier and rounded there this would be my perfect guitar. I thought about trying to get used to it but still bad after a week and my hand has never hurt like this in all my years of playing. Sigh-the hunt continues and I'm sticking with 50s necks.

73Fender

Is that the slim taper neck which supposedly as per Gibson is in between the 50s and 60s carves? I like the slim taper on my 2011 LP Special it has enough chunk for me..usually I like fat necks but the slim taper works ok for me.

Too bad, I had to return a 62 Tele Custom RI that had a too thin neck..liked it otherwise.

FennRx

I do not understand the obsession with necks. I've had classics and historic baseball bat necks. Prs wide thin and wide fat. I play them all. I certainly have my preferences but I've never found it hard to adjust. *shrugs*

loveme1965

Three chords, no waiting!
Silver Supporting Member
I do not understand the obsession with necks. I've had classics and historic baseball bat necks. Prs wide thin and wide fat. I play them all. I certainly have my preferences but I've never found it hard to adjust. *shrugs*

Pretty much agree with you except for Ric 330 necks. Had to ditch one which was otherwise wonderful. But yeah, never met a Gibson, Fender or PRS neck I didn't like. Having said that I also would not keep a guitar that cramped my hand up!

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
Had a asymmetrical neck on a Strat once.
Didn't realize for two days until I began to investigate was different about it.
It went back too.

No thank you.

SW33THAND5

I am with you

I have my preference but can play any of them.

Jason_77

I have my preferences and can adjust to any neck but I just can't adjust to the asymmetrical neck shape. It always feels like I'm holding it at a weird angle no matter what I do.

59burst

I have very small hands and during the 80s I developed all kinds of cramping problems with my Jacksons, JEM, ESPs, etc. I finally realized it wasn't happening when I played my Gibsons, and realized that the thinner front to back necks were simply problematic for me.

I wish I could go back and forth like some of you, but I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work. I really wish the shredders and Gretsch 6120 came with fat necks!

colinesquire

Well I wouldn't say I have an obsession-it's just that this asymmetrical profile physically hurts my hand. Would you play a guitar that hurt you? I also have an epi hollow that has the 60s profile and I find that comfortable to play. Just disappointed as I love the guitar in all other aspects.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member

Well I wouldn't say I have an obsession-it's just that this asymmetrical profile physically hurts my hand. Would you play a guitar that hurt you? I also have an epi hollow that has the 60s profile and I find that comfortable to play. Just disappointed as I love the guitar in all other aspects.

Yep.
I've had to sell some really nice guitars in the past because of my hand cramping.

I've been playing at gigs and have my hand cramp so bad that I could barely finish a song.

At first I thought it was a muscle problem but then realized it only happened when playing certain guitars with particular neck profiles.

The Gibson 60s neck profile is the one the never causes any cramping for me.

woof*

Same with me, these are not golf clubs.
Also to add for the Op, the times I've found playing guitar where I got cramps or pains from playing... It turned out to be body and arm positions. For instance if your sitting down and playing and hand cramps..if you stand up playing the problem goes away.

smcgov

This is exactly how I feel, I'm glad someone said it. I enjoy most guitars just for what they are..I have super slim SG's and baseball bat LP's....and everything in between. I enjoy them all.

I have very small hands and during the 80s I developed all kinds of cramping problems with my Jacksons, JEM, ESPs, etc. I finally realized it wasn't happening when I played my Gibsons, and realized that the thinner front to back necks were simply problematic for me.

I wish I could go back and forth like some of you, but I've tried and tried and it just doesn't work. I really wish the shredders and Gretsch 6120 came with fat necks!

Same as you. Smaller hands, and thin necks leads to major wrist and elbow issues....don't have these problems with fat necks.

splatter

I like the 60s profile . However I know what you mean . I'm about to sell a new strat I just bought for the same reason

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
I had one of the few Hamer Electraglides in the late 80s. Thin neck made my hand hurt. Later got a baseball bat necked '52 ES-5. I noticed that the ES-5 did not cause the hand fatigue that other guitars I owned. That is how I came to realize that fat necks are beneficial to me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom