Have we been duped?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by popsongsmith, Aug 18, 2008.

1. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

There have been a few threads on this lately, but I just broke out the old stock SD-1, and man does that thing sound good. I've been through a bunch of high-end and "boutique" dirt pedals lately, but when I put the SD-1 back on the board, it just felt, well, right.

Is this the "old, worn-out sweater" phenomenon? I've been using these things for so long, maybe I'm just accustomed to the tone. Or maybe, just maybe, this $30 pedal is every bit as good as pedals costing 5x the price.

No offense to the builders here, but I feel somewhat violated at the moment...

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

john frusciante uses the SD-2 and it sounds fantastic. i've liked the stock ts-9 than most 808 clones i've heard, too.

i think a lot of the boutique pedals are fantastic, but a lot of them aren't *that* much different (at least to my ears) than the stuff they're trying to emulate.

4. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

News Flash. All the $300 pedals you have been playing are 5 parts or so away from an SD1.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It's all a matter of matching your gear to your needs and ears.

If the sd-1 works for you, fine. I think they are thin, buzzy and harsh sounding, especially if I compare the results to what a Bad Monkey (more$ than the sd-1??) can do....with my gear, and ears.

So there is room for all, BUT, the bottom line is that with a bit of signal clipping and some eq change you can have a whole new box to sell.

6. sixstringmonk

sixstringmonk Member

Indeed.

7. Brad J

Brad J Member

SD-1? Pfft, I don't need no stinking tone control, I'll take my OD-1 over it anyday ;)

Seriously, My OD-1 as a lead boost is better than my Eternity or Rangemaster clones, and way better than a TS.

8. DanJep

DanJep Member

Boutique pedals are like organic food... A new way to package the same old thing and sell it for more money.

9. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

:stir

10. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

Your ears will always be the best judge. Don't give in to peer pressure

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i don't know but i keep thinking my old board sounded damn good when i had a mix of .50 cents pedals and other pedals.
    I mean, it wasn't boutique but sounded like the best.
    I remember the pedals:
    Teese wah and Budda Wah
    germ-Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive-Tc electronic Chorus flange-EHX Russian Phaser-DD3 and a Guyatone MD3.
    The rig sounded big and everyone loved it.

I also have this friend who buys really the guyatone, boss, ....., etc and he sounds great.

12. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

I couldn't bond with it...It was harsh and buzzy sounding. Not terrible though, just DEF not my favourite

13. soulsonic

soulsonic Member

The cheap Maestro Overdrive is a part-for-part copy of the SD-1.

$40, w/cable and power supply.

14. jstone

jstone Member

The SD-1 is good. Why change it if you like it the way it is.
    Mine are quite more than 5 parts away....but they are not really SD-1's either :)
    I still run my unmodded DS-1 when needed. And it sound in my ears very well indeed.

15. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Pretty much.

My upper limit for a dirt pedal is $200 -- and there's plenty of great sounding stuff out there in the $150 range too.

When you consider that you can buy a great amp for the cost of a few boutique pedals ($1k+)....there's definitely something wrong with this picture.

16. teleman55

teleman55 Member

Love my SD-1 and my TS-9. I got some fancy pedals. And I got some modded pedals. But I never saw a need to mod either of those. They're perfect as-is.

17. JimH

JimH Member

My lack of love for cheap pedals is more about the things they're not supposed to do that those that they are - noise, tone suckage, possibly low grade components, pots yadda yadda. I tend to think their sound - the thing you bought them to do, is usually acceptable - to very good. Suppose that's the issue with boosters - I mean it's not necessarily a complex design and noise is kind of part of boosting, so potentially a pretty ropey circuit can do the deed with a certain amount of rock and roll cool. - But I'm no boutique dude, Boss/dunlop/ibanez are good enough for me most of the time.

18. charmboy

charmboy Member

I think it's really only those guys that need to have 5 different types of dirt on their board at a time and feel the need to have the hottest new landy,zen,etc... flavor of the week that are in jeopardy of feeling duped although I'd imagine by now, they know what they've gotten themselves into.

I've taken to the byoc, ggg, diy route with other dirt pedals. As JimH said above, it's what the cheap pedals aren't suppose to do that tend to bug me... tone suck, noise, bypass, etc... but much of this can be corrected with a few dollars and a soldering iron (it's easy and fun!) or quality kit clones of many of these pedals can be had from $60-100 with true bypass and quality components.

Unless of course we're talking fuzz, I'd have paid twice the price for my analogman sun lion... pure magic!

19. doctorx

doctorx Member

A stock SD-1 has been my main OD of choice for over twenty years.

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's not an either/or kind of thing. Pedals like the Bad Monkey are inexpensive, and fantastic.

There is no NEED for boutique, but we like to try different things, and some folks have pedals in the boutique or smaller markets that are perfect for what they do that other pedals can't touch.

Just recently, someone talking about compressors, I mention (and got one person agreeing, so it isn't everyone) that to me the Marshall ED-1 is as good as I've tried. But pedal makers....make pedals, offer them for sale, let us decide.

I LOVE that we are not JUST stuck with Boss, Ibanez, etc. or else have to build it ourselves (though I like playing with building fuzzes..etc.) that the niche market gives us options. It's all up to us. If you think the SD-1 sounds as good or better than X pedal, then cool...you just saved a lot of money. But when I want a univibe sound, I really disliked the Boss one, and other mass marketed ones, and like the Mojo vibe, etc.

I'm really glad that Zvex, Fulltone, Hermida, Cochrane, etc. are out there making excellent pedals that let me find my own way.

They aren't "duping" anyone. But we guitarists DO tend to
    1) love the idea of some guy in a garage finding tonal nirvana, going against the big guys, a mad provfessor...
    2) buying a pedal many or most others don't have...sort of a secret weapon (even though most guitarists aren't stingy with the info)
    3) not buying the status quo...

We excite each other to thinking a Boss pedal CAN'T be good...sorta like saying and small guy will defeat a giant ala David and Golath.