1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

have you ever been too HIGH for a gig?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SW33THAND5, May 23, 2011.

1. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i did on one show. i simply drank too much. i usually have a few beers (2-3?) but this time i took part of some jaeger shots. :barfi messed up a few times during the set.

i never did it again. i am usually very professional.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

As long as the crowd is worse off than me it usually works out alright

3. mannish

mannish Member

heck yes. It has not happened in many many years cause it was not pleasant and made me look stupid. I once drank an off brand energy drank and had the shakes so bad wasn not sure I was gonna be able to play. I do not over drink at gigs anymore

4. jaycee

jaycee Member

Back in the early 90's i was usually a mess. Playing different songs than the band....stuff like that. Stumbling around. Once i was 'posing' with my back leaning against the singer and he moved. I stumbled backwards the whole length of the stage...lol. But i usually managed to do a semi-respectable job despite the "circumstances".

5. Bankston

Bankston Member

It's happened to me a couple of times. I try to always play shows clean but when you're playing bars and people are sending drinks to the stage, it makes it tough.

Worst mistake I ever made was taking a hit off a bass player's pipe once during a setbreak. I literally could not remember songs I'd played hundreds of times. Never made that mistake again.

6. el nino

el nino Member

sure when i was younger i did it all just to see what can be done before a gig and what not (well thats what i belived anyway) i still drink 4-5 beers maybe a shot of rakija,jager or whatever,but heavy stuff not so much anymore,but i think it depends on the individual also i know guys who can't keep three chord song in line when they are on 3 beers,so...it's only rock n roll anyway ;)

7. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

Ever been TOO high to post?

Drinking refers to being drunk, generally smoking weed refers to being high. and Schrooms and acid refers to the term trippin.

And no never.

8. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Fortunately it was a no pay HUGE keg party back in college.
    Too many shrooms. Fretting hand was just a big tracer across the neck.
    Had to sit it out and watch the waves in the knotty pine ceiling.

9. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

everytime that you are drunk... you are high. not everytime that you are high you are necessarily drunk. :nono

10. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Only time I can think of was in Aspen Colorado. I didnt take into consideration the altitude, I had half a beer and a shot of crown and was sitting on my amp for half the show just trying to hold on. Honest mistake though...

edit, there was a birthday show once that got ugly...

11. notnac

notnac Senior Member

"Too" high. Not "to" high.

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

Other than a mild herbal buzz from time to time. no never.

I drank coffee, iced tea or club soda over ice, no booze.

Booze messes up your motor skills and your timing, saps your energy and turns
    nice people into idiots.

13. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

Ha ha very true, carry on good sir!

14. Britishampfan

Britishampfan Member

This one time I was tripping on Vodka......

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Once I did acid at a gig. Luckily there was a raid for underage drinking and we only played one set. That was enough because I could not find the tempo. Then I had to drive home. Something else I never did again under the influence.
    I used to play 6 nights a week in Kansas City and Topeka. The boredom on a Monday or Tuesday night could be fierce. There were times when I was staggering drunk. The other guys were not only bored like me but also disgusted by me.
    I don't recommend either. Both are bad ideas.

16. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Lol, I can relate. I'm 56 but when I was around 19 I took some acid on a New Year's gig, didn't work out too well. I didn't have the hours behind the wheel then, I believe if I were to take a little now I could handle it better. But, my tripping days are at least 30 years gone so that will have to be left to speculation.

I've had too much to drink many times over the years, but usually I'm the only one to know. Mostly when I had carpal real bad, I needed a couple of shots before trying to play. Most times those couple of drinks helped, sometimes there wasn't enough in the world to loosen that up.

17. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

No.

Our band stays pretty much sober during gigs. Maybe one beer after the first or second set but that's it until the gig is over.

After that it's Miller Time! :beer

(except not with Miller)

18. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Back in jr high, '67 or '68, our garage band all dropped acid as we set up for a jr high dance. We were the opening band for a local pro group. WE thought we sounded great. We probably sucked. Loading out was a hoot. Somehow we held it all together. Probably cuz we all started tripping at the same time.

19. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

We played a show with another band who's drummer and bass player were doing their last gig with the band. It was a small bar but a decent crowd. We convinced enough people to buy shots for the band that they ended up doing one after every song. It didn't end pretty. I always start off with a whiskey or two then swicth to beer but always stop drinking for the second set.

20. Sleepyhouse1422

Sleepyhouse1422 Supporting Member

The day before thanksgiving last year we had a show and a lot of family members from out of town came. Some buddies decided to buy me way to many shots in between the 1st and 2nd set and when we came back on I thought I was going to puke. Sat on my amp for one song and tried to focus on my playing as much as possible to not think about puking. After about 2 songs I was good the rest of the night but decided cokes would be better then more shots for the night. We've had many gigs where everyone has gotten a little to drunk but always seem to pull it together fine and the crowd is usually worse then us so it work out. One of our other members has issues with whiskey and usually gets way too drunk but a few shows ago a guy wanted to hook into the board and record us. After hearing himself on a few of the song we really haven't had a problem with him since.