Have you ever benefited from extended warranties?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Tylenol Jones, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I find they're almost always entirely useless but there are certain exceptions.

When I was a students and bought my first (CRT) TV, I added a seemingly well priced extended warranty which came in handy when it stopped working after a few years. The picture had gone darker and darker every few weeks for months. The repairman came over, opened it up, cleared the insane amount of dust that had been trapped, degaussed the screen, and swapped out a bunch of parts that looked like motherboards.

That whole experience saved me a ton of money. I wouldn't have had the funds to buy another TV, that's for sure. The TV worked fine after that. A few years later, I gave it to a friend and it was still working top-notch.

Have you ever benefited from extended warranties?

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

I bought one with a car years ago 6 years 100,000..IIRC. for 150.00 it was well worth it. The only one worth a damm

3. mattball826

mattball826 Member

yes. several times on a/v equip and appliances.

a good 90% of product are unlikely to fail out of the oem warranty period, but things with moving parts can break down years later. some may say i'll buy new anyway, but it depends on the item really. expensive appliances? yeah i pay the ext warranty.

otoh if offered through square trade? i'd rather buy new again than deal with their crap.

4. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Every time as a matter of fact. They guarantee the item will outlive all other examples of the same product.

5. xmentalpilot

xmentalpilot Member

0 deductable GM Major Guard, on 2 different vehicles. Both more than paid for themselve with the extension of the bumper to bumper factory warranty.

6. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Yes, I have .... I'll get it for some things, like a computer

but then most of the time I never need it amd it's a waste of money

and I lose the receipt anyways

:dunno

7. sleewell

sleewell Member

to me it seems like stuff either breaks right after it ends or you pay too much for it to make sense. they know what they are doing, they are offering it to make extra money and not to help the customer.

8. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Washer and dryer fixed several times for free, my Nissan had $10,000.00 worth of work done on it for a $250.00 deductible, 60 inch flat screen fixed twice for $30.00,
    So yep, I swear by them now. Read the fine print on the contract twice though.
    There are some that are worthless.

9. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Yes I bought one on a Dell laptop that gave up about a month before the end of the extended warranty.

Otherwise whenever a salesman asks if I want the extended warrantly plan I'm all "more like the extended warranty SCAM! amirite bro?"

10. standard24

standard24 Member

I have benefited from extended warranties. I work for a major insurance company, and we offered them to our customers to cover car repairs. I sold a ton of them, and made some pretty good coin!

But I'd never buy one for myself!

11. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

That sounds incredibly cheap! What brand, if you don't mind my asking?

12. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely. I've had every generation of the flatscreen and have always gotten the extended warranty. Paid for the extended warranty and haven't paid for a new flatscreen at full price since. Everytime, it has been an upgrade to the latest and greatest and at a larger size than the previous ones I've had. Just recently got a curved screen version at 65".

In today's washer and dryer with it's technology, its worth the investment.

13. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Yes, purchased a used car from a dealer. First time in my life I bought extended coverage. Engine block cracked, they had to replace the engine. Saved me.

14. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Basic rule of thumb - Manufacturer extended warranties, YES, they seem to be good value and I have had good results with them (e.g. car warranty and Apple care etc.)

Third party warranty, like the sorts sold on whitegoods and electronics at major chain stores, AVOID like the plague. IME, the third party agency will try like all heck to find a clause or condition whereby they don't have to deliver on their promised 'warranty'.

Mostly the third party companies are hoping that you will lose the receipt or forget the lapse date on the warranty and never have to call them.

15. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

If the item will be used in a hostile environment, if the typical repair cost is high, the chance of some kind of failure is relatively high, the item is expensive and the extended warranty isn't more than a couple of hundred dollars, it's worth buying. Aftermarket warranties can be discounted.

16. luv

luv Member

I've never even taken advantage of a regular warranty, let alone an extended one. I guess I have good luck with consumer products. Knock on wood.

17. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Yes, Best Buy on a computer! Saved me some $ and grief!

18. Fred132

Fred132 Member

I will sometimes buy one if I can negotiate a reduced price on it. And OEM warranties only, the kind sold by third parties are almost worthless.

It makes sense that they always push really hard for you to buy them, because they are almost pure margin for the seller. You would do much better financially if you put the warranty price in a savings account each time and used it to fund repairs.

19. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

on cars
    never ever ever ever on guitar gear

20. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

We bought one for a new car. The transmission failed and it was covered. Warrant was 1400 bux and transmission was 2000 or 2500.