Have you ever bought a guitar because your hero plays one?

saneff

Silver Supporting Member
And if so, what guitar and who inspired you to buy it?

I realize hero might be a strong word, but you know what I mean. The dude whose playing inspires you or that type of thing. I have to admit I have done it several times. In fact, I've bought guitars simply because one of my favorite players used it in a song I like.
  • Taylor 614CE because it's the acoustic Myles Kennedy most often played in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4_chcwvoM
  • Gibson J45 because of Darius Rucker
  • Les Paul like the ones used by Mike McCready of Pearl Jam
I know we've done it with pedals and amps too.

Average Joe

My first good electric was a 57 AVRI strat that I bought because it looked just like Clapton's brownie. Good sounding and well made strat but I never was entirely comfortable with the small frets and 7.25 reissue. lesson learned. It sure was beautiful though

mfitz804

I sold my very first guitar (early MIM Fender Strat) to get a Les Paul...because everyone I listened to was playing one.

My first, second, third and fourth '59R (2011) Les Paul - Dickey Betts and Duane - in that order.

My first Strat - white with maple neck - Hendrix

i've looked into brands that i didn't know because of my influences, but i've never said "that guy plays X and i have to also". it's not the gear, it's how you use it.

Soul Man

Local 83
Silver Supporting Member
Guitars, pedals, amps, strings............

And I still don't sound like any of them.

SHOCKER!

batsbrew

Have you ever bought a guitar because your hero plays one?
never.
i've always gone for specific guitars that had a certain sound, that's the primary goal.

then secondly, i always wanted to be different, so i gravitated away from the common choices, and found choices i believe are superior.

but it takes a long time to really know what you want, and it helps to play all the 'classics' and 'commons' along the way, to learn what you like.

Clump

I did a reverse - When the Joe Bonamassa studio came out I had barely heard of him, but loved the guitar and ended up with 1. Then I got into Joe and really enjoy his music and I LOVE Black Country Communion.:bonk

greyman

I bought a ES339 because one of my icons played a 336. Not exactly the same, but I like that body size.

timrocks311

absolutely! i own a PRS Standard 24 in vintage cherry, with stoptail and birds and OM truss rod cover...just like the one Tim Mahoney of 311 has.

and I'd buy this in a heartbeat if they released it as a model.

cardamonfrost

Trey... pretty much the whole chain. I cant afford a Languedoc, so I did what I could...

Equator Instruments Standard -> whammy II -> wah -> AM TS9 -> AM TS9 -> Ross Comp -> boomerang -> DM 2000 -> Deluxe Reverb.

If only I spent as much time practicing as I did working to afford the gear...
C

CA$H FLOW

Yeah definitely. I play a strat just like Hendrix, clapton, Knopfler, Blackmore, Gilmore, SRV, etc.

Trending Topics