Have you ever broken a Gibson neck/headstock? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by hippieboy, Feb 2, 2020.

Have you ever broken a Gibson neck?

1. yes

211 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. No

722 vote(s)
    77.4%
  1. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Mod Squad Staff Member

Had a beautful LP Florentine (Black Beauty style with all Gold Hardware, fancy binding, Ebony Fretboard) that sounded and played wonderfully. I was at a Corporate gig and we had finished our show. I had that guitar and an LP Deluxe hanging on a locking guitar stand. As I picked it up and stepped back, I managed to lose my balance as the back of my shoe caught the edge of our durmmer's Drum Rug. Ass over Tea Kettle I went......followed by a heartsickening sound. Got it fixed and she still played beautifully. But I ended up selling it about 5 years later.

hippieboy likes this.
  2. StreetwalkinCheetah

StreetwalkinCheetah Member

My 88 was dropped by some knucklehead friend posing with the thing instead of playing it when the strap slipped off. The neck suffered some damage though it wasn't the headstock and it didn't break, it was repaired and I couldn't even tell you where the damage is at this point 31 years later (I am pretty sure it is closer to the heel despite all evidence suggesting it should have been near the top).

Both of my Gibsons live in their cases when I am not playing them vs. my others that hang on the wall.

hippieboy and Billy Van Beck like this.
  3. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

I’m not sure it’s relevant though. Maybe one person had one Gibson that broke while another owned ten that didn’t. Each gets one vote.

Jaguar and Billy Van Beck like this.
  4. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

How is the audience supposed to know the show is over if you haven't smashed your gear? I was brought up to believe that an easily broken the neck was the REASON to get a Gibson.

Emigre, PeterG and hippieboy like this.
  5. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

Well, they break at the head/neck transition. When any object changes thickness or form, a break, if it happens, will generally be where the transition happens. My case was a simple knock off a stand, with a modest clean break that was easy to fix invisibly. Super solid. Until I break it again, that is.

dahctor and hippieboy like this.
  6. s2y

s2y Member

I own a "few" acoustics. None of mine have such a thin volute. Of the ones with truss rods at the headstock, none have nearly as much wood routed out. Most have the truss rod adjustment through the sound hole and zero wood removed in the headstock area. It might be worth noting that guys tend to be a little more careful with acoustics and they weigh less if they tip over.

In other threads, it has been noted that perhaps the Gibson hardcases could stand to have a little more room at the headstock area. I've personally known guys whose Gibson was decapitated in the case. One in a band trailer and one in a car accident. Ok, perhaps the car accident was a bit much and would have wrecked any guitar.

7. melvins

melvins Member

Had a Les Paul classic fall flat on its face off a stand onto concrete. Was one of those slow motion “nooooo” moments. I lifted it up, it looked fine, feeling relieved I set it back on the stand... then noticed the tension of the strings pulling the headstock downward. Doh!
    $200 to fix it, ended up selling it.

hippieboy likes this.
  8. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I’m looking at my Gibsons, and looking at my acoustics... look about the same to me. :dunno

9. motokev

motokev Member

shipped 3 SGs and one LP Standard with no problem.

I think it's when the LP tips over and the back side hits the floor.

hippieboy likes this.
  10. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Supporting Member

The first US-made electric I owned, purchased in December '85, was a '69 SG with a repaired headstock.

In '96, I had a very clean, second-hand tobacco burst ES-335 RI that I was using regularly with my band at the time. After rehearsal, went over to a friend's, he left it sitting on the arm of a couch and down it went on his hardwood floor, a clean break. Took about 2 weeks to get it repaired (by Jimmy Gravity at J. Gravity Strings in St Louis), came back playing just as well as it ever did.

hippieboy likes this.
  11. supergenius365

supergenius365 Supporting Member

It certainly does happen. The luthier who used to work on my guitars was kind of known for his ability to repair headstock breaks and make them look good.

hippieboy likes this.
  12. phoghat

phoghat Member

Twice. One LP, one SG.

They were still cool after getting them fixed. It ain't that big of a deal.

hippieboy likes this.
  13. Defendant

Defendant Member

Absolutely. Though I’d go further than that: The Dimarzio cliplok strap is what I use on all my Gibsons. No moving parts to have come undone when you least expect it.

I’m a no -owner of two Gibsons currently, four total over the years.

I have repaired one -a std a guy brought to me. I’m not a repairman but we were literally countries away from a repair shop so I messaged my luthier friend and followed his instructions. It came out structurally sound but a little ugly.

And I’ve been in the vicinity of many broken headstocks -one old friend took the head off his custom so many times that the repair guy put a new headstock on it.

When out with a Gibson I leave it flat in the case and avoid stands -at home I use five guitar racks. The best kind are the touring ones with the snap button tabs you can pull on and off by the neck slot to give extra security.

hippieboy likes this.
  14. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Sure, I'm an idiot. :rotflmao

It was player's grade with a repair when I got it, so I treated it like a budget guitar. On that note, very satisfying having a rare, collectible, normally very expensive guitar that I didn't really care what happened to it (1 of 18 Music Machine R0 Braz Stingers). I often just left it out on the floor, rest it against a wall for days at a time, leaned it against an amp, etc. I had one amp in my basement, laminate floor, and one day I leaned the base side of the neck against the side of the amp, walked away, the laminate was a little slippery I suppose and it fell back. I had it repaired by a pro but still treated it the same and still enjoyed doing so. Lesson not learned.

hippieboy likes this.
  15. Jaddy

Jaddy Member

Broke my '79 Deluxe's neck (it was knocked off a stand). Glued it back together and it's been great ever since, wonderful playing and sounding guitar....

hippieboy likes this.
  16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Yup. Had one of of the first flametop Gibson LP’s from Gruen in the 90’s .. playing a gig up in North Conway NH.. really rowdy (and drunk) crowd.. someone lobbed a beer bottle at the stage. (No Chicken Wire!)....Hit my LP on the body (ding) and knocked it off it’s stand and of course landing right on the headstock.. snapped it right off.. my guitar repair guy (Mike Endicott) fixed it and you absolutely couldn’t tell it was ever broken .. in 50 years of playing Les Pauls, this was the only incident..not bad:)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    hippieboy likes this.
  17. Gian Pistilli

Gian Pistilli Member

I had a les paul on a guitar stand still with the cord attached. I tripped over the cord and watched the les paul fall face down. It was like it was in slow motion. I am yelling noooooo as I try to catch it

hippieboy likes this.
  18. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

That is true ^ still I'm not a Gibson man (would like to have a firebird though), I believed the breaking of the headstock was a bit overstated or a little blown out of proportion myth, but the poll made me think it is a serious issue. Maybe Gibson can issue the guitars with a more straight headstock angle but then again I don't know, maybe the Gibson fans would not like that. Anyway, be careful with your Gibsons, sensitive beasts!

19. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

Did the headstock survive? I have this with coffeemugs a lot. I pick it up, KNOW it will fall, still I make the motion and THEN it falls in slow motion.. makes me feel double stupid! Why do I complete the motion while I KNOW it will fall...!? Grrrrr!!

20. JonSick

JonSick Member

Yep... a 2015 LP Traditional (may have year wrong). One of the few nicer playing LPs in the store. I tried out about 10 or so?

It was leaning against an amp at break, other guitarist mis-footed and kicked the cable out. It went down and headstock flew off. There was a few seconds of shock, more moments of frantic apologies, a lot of feeling bad, some glum faces as I had to sit out the rest of the rehearsal session. He felt really bad about it, told me to get quotes, offered me his Charvel if I couldn't fix it (no way I was taking that, it was his pride and joy).

In the end, it cost about £120 to repair. However he was an apprentice electrician at that stage and no way could afford to just throw £120 my way. I didn't tell how much it cost as I know he would have found some way of begging/borrowing/stealing to repay me and I knew he didn't have it. It was no big deal anyway, played just the same as it did before. Plus LPs are known for that.

On the plus side, I have a great sparky on hand who helps me out with projects every so often.

hippieboy likes this.