1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

have you ever considered giving up guitar completely?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by papersoul, Jul 13, 2020.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Honest question.

I feel it would help me with stress and money if I quit guitar and sold all gear and just moved on.
    I have been playing since I was 17 - I am 50, but I don't have time to practice. I go through periods where I can play a day or two, get excited and then won't play for weeks. Then I am embarrassed when I pick it up again and am rusty and can't remember stuff I learned. I feel at this stage in my life, it's frustrating trying to balance everything. Plus, money is so tight, it would be nice to free up all that money.

Thoughts?

2. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

I’ve toyed with the idea during lulls in my playing. It’s been months since I’ve felt inspired to pick it up. My time has been going to combat flight simulators.

Dashface and BuleriaChk like this.
  3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I’m going through that right now. My 10 month old daughter is my main priority, I’ve yet to find guys who can really play the music the way I want it played for te sake of gigging and before Covid hit I’ve been trying to break into a market that really doesn’t seem to want to give a newcomer a chance since that would lead to some of the regular bands getting bumped out of their comfortable, expected spots. I still play at least 30 mins daily but my inspiration and desire just isn’t there if I’m not playing with a goal of playing live at least semi-regularly with a tight band.

4. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

Sorry to hear that. Playing has always been a way for me to de-stress. If I found it was adding to the stress in my life, I'd think about cutting it out, too. On another note, it's okay to take a break if you're not playing in a band that requires you to stay sharp. You can give yourself a pass on that and not be embarrassed.

5. HugoTheCat

HugoTheCat Member

If it’s for $$$, then sell. If for depression, put it away and come back down the road.

6. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

To me it is something that I started and fell in love with when I was 11. It is part of me.

There have been years that I have not played a lot because of other priorities, especially with family. But it has always been there when I had the time and desire to play. And yes it's much more enjoyable when I am "in practice", and not rusty, so that playing is more effortless and can be just a vehicle for expression, and less trying to get chops back up to speed.

Really though, one way or the other, even if you put it aside for a while, if you have achieved some skills they will be there later.

For me playing is a part of me in that when I play it allows me to access a part of myself that is very dear to me ... even when no one else is listening. It's a doorway ...

7. blong

blong Supporting Member

I would never quit. It's zen to me. I am also 50, two teenagers, I coach, have a full time job, and my wife works more than I do. I am Mr. Mom. I also have a side job repairing guitars. So I have little time to play. I did play so much most of my life that my chops are good, but I go thru spurts of musical growth. But guitar is as much a part of my life as my right hand. If money is tight, sell the gear, but keep one or two pieces. You'll regret it later if you don't.

Bob

8. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Supporting Member

Yes I have considered it, but not under the same circumstances. I started out liking guitar, and rapidly grew to like making music more generally. I may stop playing guitar at some point, but I don't anticipate dropping music making altogether. There are lots of ways to do it on the cheap these days, including a handful of really fun apps.

9. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think of the guitar as such an intrinsic part of my personality and life so far that I have never thought of giving up. I have gone through lulls where I’ve worried that I may be on a path to, but the urge to play comes back eventually, and strong.

It’s a language. A unique language only to myself. I may be in a place where its not called upon to be heard, but it’s always there, ready for when it is.

10. 8len8

8len8 Supporting Member

Some people have too many interests or hobbies. Park down and focus on the top ones so you have enough time to devote to them.

Norm N Playin, derekd, Sg3000 and 6 others like this.
  11. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Never.
    I've been playing since 1970.
    Never stopped.
    Won't stop until I'm 6 feet under :)

MantraSky, JK1965, derekd and 6 others like this.
  12. bettset

bettset Member

no. as long as the fingers and arms work i'll play. the ears too. met les paul when he was 78 at fat tuesday's......he was brilliant that night. big shout out to lou polla for helping make that night more than we ever coulda imagined. hope i make it that far and beyond too :munch

Steve Hotra and Coiled like this.
  13. mixwiz

mixwiz Member

Interesting question. This year has really made me question my future as a player. With this lockdown stuff, I've wound up with zero motivation to play. I have tons of time on my hands but playing is rarely on the list. I'm generally a positive person but I think I've sunk down into the blues a bit.

14. Machew

Machew Member

I would sell all my stuff if I needed the money, but I dont think I would ever quit. I would just keep an acustic or my $100 Squire. It a de-stress for me. My practice time goes up and down.

sahhas, gpu, gaelicsolus and 3 others like this.
  15. Machew

Machew Member

Sunk Down Blues? There is a band name!

JK1965, Norm N Playin, sahhas and 3 others like this.
  16. Alan Dunn

Alan Dunn Member

Guitar doesn't sound like it's a priority in your life and there's nothing wrong with that.
    If work and making a living are a priority then so be it.
    I actually gave up working full-time so I could play guitar everyday.
    I'm not wealthy either, I've just changed my standard of living / simplified my life to prioritise playing guitar rather than chasing money and status.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  17. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I’m 55, and I’ve been playing since right before my 15th birthday. Every once in a while, I put the guitar down, and just do something else. But I always come back to it.
    Take a break. But don’t sell your gear.

mojah, Norm N Playin, hotslaw and 9 others like this.
  18. Kingpin

Kingpin Member

Giving up on playing doesn't register as a possibility in my mind (although I gave up the gear chase several years ago). I derive as much enjoyment from the instrument as I did when I started almost 50 years ago.

No, there aren't any mega-leaps of improvement like the early years of playing, but I'm perfectly content to take my baby steps further up the mountain every day.

Not being able to get together and play with other people or gig--yes that sucks. Gleaning a bit more insight every time I put in a little focused practice effort--priceless!

19. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

Nope, never. Music has been a part of who I am since I was 4 or 5, being hooked on nearly everything I heard coming out of the AM radio.
    Once I picked up a guitar at 12, it all started to make sense and I won't stop playing until I exit this mortal shell.

rumbletone and Coiled like this.
  20. Losov

Losov Member

Oh yeah, two or three times I put it down and at times I’ve wished I never took it up. But I’m good at it and it’s part of me. So that’s pretty much that.

Dashface likes this.