• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Have you ever felt guilty buying a guitar ?

Low Watts

I'm not talking about GAS here.

I’m the opposite of the impulsive guy, I plan in advance and put money aside. But whenever time comes to pull the trigger I feel crippled by doubts. I can’t help feeling 3k$ on a guitar is somewhat irresponsible when you already have 4 and that this money would be better off invested somewhere else.

It's ruining the experience of "hunting for gear" for me.

How do you keep justifying (to yourself) purchasing yet another guitar when you already have more than you need but can afford it ?

Thanks everyone !

Thwap

Platinum Supporting Member
Nope.
I don't buy them unless it won't impact me greatly.
I've only got so many years available to me.

It's one of the things I like to do with my life.
And I really enjoy having different guitars available to play with.
So I don't sweat it.

Dr. Tinnitus

I've only felt guilty (slightly) once. I pestered a band mate to sell me his old Yamaha acoustic. He wouldn't do it and would not give me a reason why. So I said I'd keep asking him on occasion to see if he'd change his mind.

2 years later, I asked him again (maybe the 5th time) as he was in the middle of selling some other guy a bass. To my surprise, he agreed to sell it.

Then the next time I see him, he tells me it was his first guitar and of course I felt guilty about it.

That didn't last long though. If he would have just told me he didn't want to sell it because it was his first guitar, I would have left it alone. Plus, he never played it; it just sat around at the practice space.

RC Mike

What are you giving up to buy another guitar? The only time guilt should be involved is if your purchase impacts your family.

What I give up is money in my bank account. I'm not having to compromise or make trade-offs. No need to feel bad about anything.

Zado

Considering how deeply thought is every single one of my music related purchases, and that the impulse buy is something inexistent in my life, I'd say no.

Tele-Vision

All the ones I used to buy in secret. I stopped doing that nearly a decade ago. I find cheapos that look inviting and have my wife get them for me as presents from the kids. If it keeps my family dynamic smooth, it works for me.

No_Stairway

Silver Supporting Member
No guilt but I'm not the norm here. In the last 4 years I've only bought 5 guitars (my forst and 2nd acoustic and 3 electrics) and sold 1 of the 5, I also have an older guitar for sale.

Kurt L

I feel a little guilty about an Axe-FX III I just bought, even though I sold enough of my old gear to offset it.

It is really cool, though.

FractalGarden

I've started the one in one out rule. If I don't like or need it enough to sell one that I already have, then I don't do it.
I've done the same. What that has taught me is that I get an incredible rush from being able to sell something I no longer want to get a guitar I do want. Just did this last December, and the new guitar cost me exactly $0. And, best of all, it rawks!

Howzaboppin

I'm not talking about GAS here.

I’m the opposite of the impulsive guy, I plan in advance and put money aside. But whenever time comes to pull the trigger I feel crippled by doubts. I can’t help feeling 3k$ on a guitar is somewhat irresponsible when you already have 4 and that this money would be better off invested somewhere else.

It's ruining the experience of "hunting for gear" for me.

How do you keep justifying (to yourself) purchasing yet another guitar when you already have more than you need but can afford it ?

Thanks everyone !
I don't know... 3 grand is indeed a lot of money. If the guitar wasn't going to pay for itself pretty quickly (like, you need a Rickenbacker or a P bass to satisfy the whims of some neurotic producer for a project where you are actually getting paid), I would invest the $$$ somewhere else.

Just my opinion of course!

jvin248

Lower the target scope you are spending.

If you have a comfort level of spend around that "$3k" then work out how to be looking at the "$500" deals. Whether they are the broken/abandoned/abused types you buy cheap and repair up to working performance or even slumming it with a brand new "$500" model/brand that you tweak to your playability needs.

Often through this "reset process" you realize that a "$50 beater" guitar with a fret level and a few minor hardware tweaks can do just as much as you want as the expensive premium guitars used to do.

Last edited:

Texsunburst59

I haven't felt guilty on purchasing any guitar no matter how expensive it is.

My guitar collection is self supporting.

I can buy any guitar I want, as long as I sell enough guitars from my collection to cover the cost of the new guitar.

Trending Topics