• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Have you ever felt guilty buying a guitar ?

Mikhael

Yes. I've not bought a guitar in years, now. Little things, yes, when I have the band money to buy them. But this past year has yielded little of that.

Krausewitz

I'm not talking about GAS here.

I’m the opposite of the impulsive guy, I plan in advance and put money aside. But whenever time comes to pull the trigger I feel crippled by doubts. I can’t help feeling 3k$ on a guitar is somewhat irresponsible when you already have 4 and that this money would be better off invested somewhere else.

It's ruining the experience of "hunting for gear" for me.

How do you keep justifying (to yourself) purchasing yet another guitar when you already have more than you need but can afford it ?

Thanks everyone !
Simple...I stopped buying.

If buying isn't fun, don't do it.

mikesch

Double Platinum Member
I sometimes do, taking into account the number I already have and the total amount I have invested in gear and the space they take up, especially since I grew up not really being able to afford anything.

But! I have no debt, my needs are met. My wife's needs are met, and we have enough money put aside to meet our goals right now and that's enough for me. The guilt is still there momentarily but goes away pretty quickly and then I can enjoy the new guitar.

Once I have more space for storage and racks later this year then I think it'll get better.

markmann

If it's something I need (as in will get lots of use) then no, but if it's only for lust then I feel a bit guilty.

RockDebris

I’m the opposite of the impulsive guy, I plan in advance and put money aside. But whenever time comes to pull the trigger I feel crippled by doubts. I can’t help feeling 3k$ on a guitar is somewhat irresponsible when you already have 4 and that this money would be better off invested somewhere else.

How do you keep justifying (to yourself) purchasing yet another guitar when you already have more than you need but can afford it ?

Thanks everyone !
I don't feel guilty about the purchase itself, but later (like a year) I feel guilty in hindsight if I never really used it and it's just sitting in my storage rooom.

motokev

How do you keep justifying purchasing yet another guitar when you already have more than you need but can afford it ?

If I have disposable income, I rather spend it on guitars, amps and pedals.

I also know there's a good chance I'll get most of my $$$ back if I buy used, unlike most hobbies.

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
When I purchased my Gibson ES 335 I felt guilty as hell. Took me about a year to get comfortable with it. That's about how long it took for the neck to lose the nitro sticky feeling. I guess when I broke it in, the guilt went away.

Last edited:

Tarnisher

I think I've got the same thing going on. I'm working on it.
Same here. I spent the first 30 years of my life always worrying about money. I’m very fortunate to be much more secure now, but I still sweat every purchase over $100, doing exhaustive research, analyzing every angle, and often regretting my decision after it’s too late.

To some extent, this is fun, at least at the beginning. But then I get to a place where I’m obsessing and worrying about it

I just bought a used amp for $400, and then let the feeling that I should have gone for something else make me feel bad instead of happy about it. I can still afford to buy another amp if want, and I can likely flip this one for what I paid. It’s not junk, it’s just maybe not as perfect as I convinced myself it was. So why am I putting myself through this stress? It’s one thing to be a prudent shopper, and another to worry about things unnecessarily.

I made a resolution to stop stressing and enjoy the amp, such as it is.

I think there’s also some guilt associated with being able to buy myself toys. But I’m not helping anyone by worrying, so I also resolved to put the energy I save on worrying about my purchases into doing something that actually helps others.

Ry@n

Guilt? No.

Coming back to earth regarding what my finances will reasonably allow? Sure. But there’s really no guilt involved, just numbers.

stilesg57

Ever since guitar #10 — i.e., filling two 5-guitar racks — I’ve felt some guilt with every purchase. Not regret, and clearly not enough guilt to make me actually stop, but it’s there. Felt a little shame a couple years ago when I moved and the movers assumed I played professionally... :facepalm

I only play with disposable funds (no kids helps) so I don’t have any financial guilt, but my wife makes a lot more than I do and is a total pack rat when it comes to savings so I feel a little guilty that I don’t/can’t keep up with her on that front.

Low Watts

Same here. I spent the first 30 years of my life always worrying about money. I’m very fortunate to be much more secure now, but I still sweat every purchase over $100, doing exhaustive research, analyzing every angle, and often regretting my decision after it’s too late.

To some extent, this is fun, at least at the beginning. But then I get to a place where I’m obsessing and worrying about it

I just bought a used amp for $400, and then let the feeling that I should have gone for something else make me feel bad instead of happy about it. I can still afford to buy another amp if want, and I can likely flip this one for what I paid. It’s not junk, it’s just maybe not as perfect as I convinced myself it was. So why am I putting myself through this stress? It’s one thing to be a prudent shopper, and another to worry about things unnecessarily.

I made a resolution to stop stressing and enjoy the amp, such as it is.

I think there’s also some guilt associated with being able to buy myself toys. But I’m not helping anyone by worrying, so I also resolved to put the energy I save on worrying about my purchases into doing something that actually helps others.
That's actually quite close to how I feel :) and a good advice to focus ones energy on something more constructive than self flagellation.

I feel guilty when I buy anything thats not a necessity. I've been pretty poor my entire life. And it does feel weird when I drop some cash on something like a guitar. But I don't buy expensive guitars for that reason.

Mike Duncan

Staff member
Yes. I'm almost 50 with a wife, three children, and expenses on a government worker salary. The fact that I have as much money tied up in guitars as I do bugs me a little. That's only for me. I don't stand in judgement of others.

VintagePlayerStrat

Silver Supporting Member
Yes. But if I am in my pocket of 7 to 9 guitars, I'm usually OK.

When I get into double digits, I know that's just plain excess. I just don't have the time to play and care for that many and guitars should never sit idle.

Like many of you, I'm from a working class background and it's a real pleasure to own such quality instruments now that I can afford them. I just don't like it getting out of hand.

Gclef

Thanks everyone !
Easy! I haven't spent more than $700 on a guitar in at least ten years.
Even then, every time I am ready to buy something, I hesitate. Good thing though. Last time, I got coronavirused out of a job and didn't work for 9 months. I am starting to get gun shy, lol.

Now, if you are talking 3 grand bracket, the emerald acoustic I've been wanting for years will have absolutely no guilt when purchased. I have hinted to my wife that it should be my 10 year wedding anniversary present.

Trending Topics