Have you ever given up learning a solo because your chops weren't good enough?

Goo Fighters

One thing I've learned is that even though I may not have mastered a solo, there are always things to learn from it, whether it be a new arpeggio, a new lick, a new way of phrasing something - it all gets added to my bag o tricks. I agree that working on a solo for too long just makes you want to tackle something else out of pure boredom.

kingGeorge

I have, many times. Have you guys? I'm a big Satriani fan, so I've tried to learn a bunch of his solos through the years. I just don't have the chops for those crazy legato parts so I usually get frustrated and give up. I can play Satch Boogie all the way through but that's about the upper limit for my current abilities.

I recently got a legato technique book by Chris Brooks which I haven't had a lot of time to investigate yet. Would my best course of action be to use this book to strengthen my legato technique then come back to learning the solos? OR, should I use a slow downer app to gradually bring the solo up to speed as I practice it?
Yep, plenty of times. But the one that stands out is "imperial strut" by the yellow jackets. I really don't think its a "fingers can't do it" thing, its an ear thing. Robin Ford's solo on that is just so cool, bluesy, sassy and progressive, all in the same solo. Pretty amazing, give it a listen (1:08 in)

brashboy

I have never failed to learn a solo. Of course, I don't even try the hard ones cuz I know it ain't gonna happen. But I can play some cool stuff, my lack of supernatural chops don't bother me a bit.

I would much rather nail the tone of masters I dig, like Johnny Winter.

FrannieB

Yes. Hotel California. I tried copying the Eagles’ version. Hopeless, so I did my own feeble version. Now I just play the 12-strong arpeggios throughout the song and under the solo. Leave the histrionics to a more able player.

Oh the value of shared misery! Great thread.

I have started several threads to get tips on playing certain solos note-for-note. I am not a consistent player (family, job, etc..) but I am pretty intense. I have spent years revisiting songs off and on.

My current challenge that I should be able to do master next visit is Heartbreaker, by Neil Giraldo. I still hope to play Cult of Personality before my time on Earth is done.

Four tips helped me. 1) I switched to using the side of the pick, 2) I went to a Blue Chip Pick, 3) I use legato some times when it is faster, 4) I use the Time Trainer app from Justin Guitar and play the same lick over and over while the beats per minute rise over a chosen time period (I might start at 70 Bpm, set it to end at 150 bpm, and make the time period 15 minutes - great for warming up, too).

david henman

...i don't recall ever trying to learn a solo. i see that spot in any arrangement as an opportunity to improvise, although i will often try to stay faithful to the style or basic sense of the original.

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
Being a Dream Theater fan, besides liking a bunch of power/speed/melodic metal bands, that has been rather the norm.

maydaynyc

Gold Supporting Member
Constantly. And I'm always simplifying parts so I can play a simpler part better than a shoddy note for note. My band just added hold the line by toto. I've the first couple of bars, the key and general flow. Beyond that, I can't nail those lukathur lines at tempo without some shortcuts.

Brad2

Most solos I like to learn are not easy but also not that hard to learn fortunately . The same goes for the music I listen to most of the time , I rather listen to bands who really make music instead of showing off on their instruments

Trending Topics