Have you ever had a club tell you to turn up?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by scottlr, Mar 14, 2015.

1. scottlr

scottlr Member

I did once. Had a 4 week gig in Florence SC at a Holiday Inn with a big club that had rock bands. Good sized stage, big bar giant dancefloor, etc.

First night about 3-4 song into the first set, a note from the manager saying to turn down. We turned down a bit, and continued, soon, another note. after 2 more notes we're playing at what I call toy volume. Crowd is not impressed with us at all. Many leave and go to the competition bar.

Very next night, the manager that was telling us to turn down, had some medical thing and she was hospitalized for 3 weeks. We turned right back up. Nobody complained at all. By the weekend, we were packing the house every night of the week, and that continued for 3 weeks.

Then she came back to work, and did the same thing she did the first night, so again we complied, and her full house dwindled to nothing. Next note was 'Turn back up' LOL

We did and the crowd returned, and hopefully she learned how to run a dance club.

BTW, this was 1973. It never happened again.

2. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

A couple years ago at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco my rockabilly band was asked to turn up after our sound check by the sound guy. It was the first time I'd ever heard a sound guy say "Hey, can you guys turn up some?"

3. stevel

stevel Member

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

Lol, idiots running clubs... These control freaks want you to turn down because they don't like loud music, no concern for what their customers like.

5. scottlr

scottlr Member

Yeah. It was funny that they had never had a 3-4 week run with that much sales before. No idea what happened after. We never went back there.

6. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

The last time I played the Commodore Ballroom, FoH asked me to turn up a bit. I was happy to oblige :)

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it happened not long ago. We were doing our first gig last summer at a local restaurant/bar, and erring on the side of caution, we started out playing our balladt stuff very quietly, because people were eating dinner. The manager came over toward the end of the first set and said, "You guys can crank it up a bit. People want to dance and we can barely hear you over by the bar."

That was the incentive we needed.

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Club owner, no. FOH engineer, many times.

10. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Depends on venue usually. I'm usually told to turn up. I'm sure I've been told to turn down at some point. It's not something I'd remember as standing out in any way. I'll play as loud or quiet as the people paying me want.

11. weenerdoggs

weenerdoggs What's Up Dogg?

Kaneohe Bay, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, Earth...
    What a great venue too! I weng to college in Vancouver and saw some great shows there!

In regards to the OPs question I have had this happen. Once I think ;)

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Just last night. There are a few places we play that like it loud.

13. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

The only person who ever tells me to turn up is my bass player...he's always yelling "crank that baby".

14. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

Yup - had it go in either direction at times...

- georgestrings

15. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

not a volume issue, but a money issue. A good one too. The staff said after our thursday gig, it was the best Thursday they have had all season. we keep the volume in check and don't drive patrons out to other clubs on the street. some bands I've heard in the club just get too loud for me and I usually like loud.
    There are 4 clubs within spitting distance with live music.

16. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Last couple of gigs this month have all been with soundman. At each one I was told to turn down during soundcheck. One time it was with a 50 watt Marshall JCM 800 (with 2x12 cab) and the other times it has been with an old Boogie combo on 2. These were big stages and it's no louder than I set it when we run are own sound. I heard saw some video with the Marshall and it sounded good out front, but the bassist said he could barely hear me all night.

I don't like mixing from stage though... so I will take the "turn down" for a good sound out front and to be relieved of the duty of having to mix it myself.

17. eddie famine

eddie famine Member

We were booked at a very exclusive country club, and were kind of nervous about it. Very fancy, old school club and we were anything but. We did the first 2 songs holding back , not knowing how this was going to be received . Then a guy in a blue blazer, with crest on the pocket comes over. Oh No, what? "Hey guys you can turn it up, we like a good time here." We did and we did . It was a riot , one of the best gigs we played. Free food and drinks. Tipped well too.

18. custom53

custom53 Member

What was the Band name..? I might have seen you.. I lived around there at that time..

19. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Lol

Never

Unless it was at church - my people there are too nice man. They know I like to push a little volume so they typically push the rest of the mix up. Usually when I see someone wincing in the front row I'll back my own volume down and then gradually the rest of the mix comes back in check. There HAS been a couple of select occasions where they wanted more - and I had to use some real restraint when pushing it up lol

20. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Once or twice, literally, in 25 years.