Have You Ever Had Someone Else Play Through Your Rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RUSHFANnLV, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Pongo

Pongo Member

I've become convinced somebody who's just mastered barre chords can play through my rig and sound better than I think I sound. Based off of several recent experiences selling and trading gear, I'm only half kidding.

Like a lot of tone hounds, I tend to notice my gear's warts more the more I play through it; I'm less critical toward others, and somebody else dialing it in can really make it sound a lot fresher.

2. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

We did a gig in NYC with a friends band and his amp (some SS piece of crap) died so I just said plug into my rig. He used my amp + cab + pedalboard but his own Strat. He was not a great player and the music was not my bag (pop punk) but dayum, my rig sounded fantasical! That really cemented what I thought was great tone and it hasn't really changed much since then, which was about 8 years ago.

I should note I think I ruined him on using subpar equipment because I think he had a religious experience up there :D He was gushing when he got off stage, said it made him play different in a good way.

On another note, my friend now plays second guitar in my band and he uses my Peavey VTM + Splawn 2x12 for band practice at my house and although I love that amp I can never make it sound as good as him. He is a great player for sure, but it's like that amp was meant for him and not me!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Hacksaw likes this.
  3. easyed

easyed Silver Supporting Member

I have really nice gear and having another play it makes me want to practice more so I could sound as good. The feeling wears off pretty quickly and I'm still the same player I was last week.

dsmc80 likes this.
  4. Seth L

Seth L Member

I've got a few friends that like to play through my rig when they come over. I always enjoy it, because I get to hear it from a different perspective and get a real kick out of it.

5. Yooper

Yooper Member

A lot of us don't really know how our acoustics really sound. Hearing someone play your acoustic is the best way to get that.

DV52 and Blue-moon like this.
  6. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Hard to say, generally speaking the band is quieter when your buddy plays, so the guitar is clearer. The bit of Cocaine we heard has his sound a lot like yours because the band was louder.

Now, note choice, OTOH...

7. RUSHFANnLV

RUSHFANnLV Member

I agree, night and day.

8. mbell75

mbell75 Member

Yep! Several times. Same with my guitars too, but I already knew I was a very average guitar player.

RUSHFANnLV likes this.
  9. Daniel Travis

Daniel Travis Supporting Member

Not particularly a big difference IMO, but that may be musical style and taste. Maybe it would have been easier to hear with not a cell phone recording? To me it's just pickup difference.

10. 6AM

6AM Member

I had an experience recently that might shed some light on this phenomenon. I had a bass guitar that I could never get to sound right but I couldn't put my finger on it. I checked the wiring multiple times and everything looked good. It wasn't until a friend of mine played it that it dawned in me that the pickups were wired out of phase.

I think when we strap on a guitar and plug in, unbeknownst to us, we sort of get tunnel visioned. Sometimes stepping outside of that can be a really eye opening experience.

11. plextasy

plextasy Member

Yes and yes. My buddy played my Ecstasy Classic and Jubilee with his guitar and made them both into the tightest/meanest amps I've heard in awhile. Tone-wise it was exactly what I expected since I'm used to the sound coming from them but it's the attack and technique that changes when someone else plays. Somehow my Ecstasy was extremely tight even on the M and L excursion settings.

Likewise, I play another friend's rig and he is always surprised at how "big" it sounds especially with my LP equipped with a not so hot bridge pup (Motor City 2nd Degree BB).

Total argument-fueling statement ahead but I truly feel that tone is affected/created mostly by the gear used but technique and style are the big differences that people tend to notice and mistake for different "tone". Have fun with that one ;)

Pongo likes this.
  12. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I played a show where my amp was used as backline for a really good player, Tim Palmieri. He used his guitar and board but, it was still cool to hear my amp played by someone else that good.

13. Blue-moon

Blue-moon Supporting Member

Yeah....I had a guy come over to play an amp I was selling once. He sounded way better through it. I almost got cold feet.

14. sonofiam

sonofiam Member

You're also more than likely hearing the rig from a different perspective, more what the audience hears instead of on stage.

Pongo likes this.
  15. DV52

DV52 Member

Hey , I resemble that remark .

pomfret likes this.
  16. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

A friend of mine came over to hear my latest setup and, after I had played for a bit, I handed my guitar to him. As soon as he played the first note we both nearly jumped out of our skin. It was overwhelmingly loud and brash.

I hadn't realized just how light my touch was and how dark I made the guitar sound. I use more gain than one would think and turn the treble way up to compensate.

I am an unrepentant string tickler. :oops:

Laurence likes this.
  17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I've had loads of guys play my rigs...usually when I'm selling. Sometimes someone sounds surprisingly good and different. Sometimes not.

I remember once I was jamming with a mate in a decent sized place (small warehouse) and I had my main amp and 4x12. I'd been playing 80's rifts like GnR and Ozzy etc at decent volume and had it set so it had loads of gain and attack. I was smiling rather happily and he said it sounded great.

I handed the guitar to my mate and said have a go. It was weird as the rig suddenly had WAY less gain and attack and all the 'heavy' dried up in an instant. My mate was more of a bluesy guy and the rig was just way too much for him (he was used to small combos and I think found it a bit overwhelming rather than any sort of revelation) as he quickly handed it back.

That moment demonstrated especially clearly just how tone 'can' be in the hands. Technique, even if it's fairly obvious makes a considerable difference but also your ear too. I was honestly a bit dumbfounded at the difference.

On the flipside, one day many moons ago when I was a teenager, I was recruited as the main player for a band and got introduced to my first Marshall stack. It was honestly like a duck to water. I had one of those moments and remember playing the thing at about 6-7 wailing away and they said they could hear me WAY down the street. We were in a prac studio rehearsing too. Mates said guys were coming out of the other prac rooms and listening or scowling depending on their bent. Anyway, I was blown away and that my mate that brought the old Plexi was smiling like a fool too. I guess he had the exact experience the OP brought up.

18. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Many times, but it just confirmed that I have nice sounding rigs. They didn't have a better tone that mine, but it was nice to hear it in a new way.

19. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Nope but I have played through other people rigs and thought it was shite while they said it sounded great to them.

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Well ok then.

I've found that the sound of my gear is directly related to who's playing it.
    When two people of decidedly different talent have played through my gear, it sounds great with the great player and not so good with a hack.

They sound like themselves.

RUSHFANnLV likes this.