Have you ever made an impulse buy and paid WAY too much for a pedal?!?

ramjet2007

I just did - one of the last retail available WFRAT '85 Reissues. I'm actually too embarrassed to admit how much I paid for it, but put it this way, I live in Australia and the pedal is in the UK. gear in the UK costs more than the US, and once you take into account the exchange rate and shipping too. So annoyed with myself as did a quick ebay search straight after that yielded the same for much less! Now to pay the credit card back...

:peenut

:mad:

:nuts

:red

:barf

:facepalm

Before pedal resale prices crashed and before the deluxe model of the lunar module came out, I paid too much for a regular lunar module, and it didn't even have the pink Floyd Floyd graphic. Let's just say I probably lost $40 when I sold it. Great pedal though. Wish I still had it.

jrcjoseph

No, but sometimes I have convinced myself something was a good deal when it was a pretty average one.

slap_back05

Yes, friggin TS808RI. Stupid me bought it brand new. Didn't even get back half what I paid for it... Have only bought two new pedals since (Superbolt @ 20% off and King of Tone).

etc

My wife thinks I pay way too much for all my stuff.

But then again, who in the hell asked her?

la noise

Before pedal resale prices crashed and before the deluxe model of the lunar module came out, I paid too much for a regular lunar module, and it didn't even have the pink Floyd Floyd graphic. Let's just say I probably lost $40 when I sold it. Great pedal though. Wish I still had it.

Really? Only $40?? That must have hurt. ;)

BluesHarp

When my wife buys shoes, purses, and cosmetics I remind her that top quality comes at a higher price. ;)

Anytime I pay more than $300 for ANY pedal.. I get pretty nervous, and its much harder to justify.
It should be $200, but SO many great pedals are in that range.

I get tired of waiting for a particular used pedal to pop up that ive seen a hundred times.. and I just buy a new one.
Never fails.. next day, there is one for cheap if I had waited.

ramjet2007

Grubgoat: justification - I love it man, and you've made me feel better about the money I've laid down on this "investment"!!! LOL. But seriously, I'm just keeping this baby in its box now regularly changing the humidity bags until its value exceeds the cost. Might be waiting about 40 years at least... :nuts

...and the drunken eBay surfing? I do wonder what portion of eBay's revenue is generated that way...

slap_back05: see Grubgoat's post - I'm not selling this puppy for a lonnnnnng time haha!

guitarslinger21: $40? I fart in your general direction :spit

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
My ep-3, though it is the wooden box maestro version. It also came with several extra tape cartridges in original boxes and a couple of new pinch rollers.

84Bravo

In 1999 I paid $225 for a gold horsie Klon, new, direct from Bill Finnegan. Astronomical sum for a pedal at the time. For me.

No. I don't still have it. Lesson learned.

kp8

I just did - one of the last retail available WFRAT '85 Reissues. I'm actually too embarrassed to admit how much I paid for it, but put it this way, I live in Australia and the pedal is in the UK. gear in the UK costs more than the US, and once you take into account the exchange rate and shipping too. So annoyed with myself as did a quick ebay search straight after that yielded the same for much less! Now to pay the credit card back...
I feel you. I was really ill, and down and it was my birthday. So I bought an strymon. I shouldn't have. I live in Korea so it was definitely a " too embarrassed to admit how much I paid " kind of thing. I was kicking myself for it for a while. & to make it worse the purchase didn't really pan out so …

Hope you at least did your pedal and years from now can look back and say, "I over paid, but i definitely dig this pedal and got a lot of use out of it"

Cause the only thing worse than over paying for a pedal is then having to flip it for a huge loss.

For the record, I have an '86 WF Rat I bought new in 1986. It was awesome then and it is still awesome all these many years later. Hope you dig yours.

Teal_66

You must employ the ninja technique of quietly acquiring the pedal, fitting it into your board, and never, ever mentioning it.

They never notice - until you say something. I know...it is very hard to contain the excitement :tapedshut ...but they do not care, because that money could've been spent on soccer, or that new tune-up for the mini van.