Have you ever owned/played a truly GREAT guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by scottcw, Jun 16, 2008.

1. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

The more guitars that I have played, the more I realize that there are very few that I would classify as truly "great". I have played a lot of "good" guitars, but only 2 come to mind as the cream of the crop that I would put up against anything:

- Very early Fender Custom Shop '54 strat. Rang like a bell with sweet sustain.

- Chapin Rustic Hawk - 24" scale w/hand carved blackwood bridge and Harmonic Design VP90s. Brian May meets BB King. Jaw dropping array of tones.

2. gregory49

gregory49 Member

The best guitar I've ever played i own. Heavy relic Namm 07 Strat. Now, that being said, I'm only 21 years old going on 22. I'll probably get to play alot better eventually.

3. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Yes, my '59 Guild X150 is a truly great guitar. I don't know whether it's the old wood, the pickups, the 50 year breaking in, the spruce top, the construction or all of them combined. The first time I played it, it was a very different experience from any other guitar I'd played.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I've played/owned several guitars that I think are great, but maybe my standards are lower than others.

5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

6. groovy daddy

groovy daddy Member

Jeez you guys talk about guitars like they were women or something. (I can dig that)
    They are all good just some are better than others. My best guitar ain't my favorite guitar but sometimes I don't know which one to grab first.

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Several. Most are currently in my collection(small but all mine, :rotflmao). Main one is my 2001 R8 that I`ve A/B`d with at least 3 REAL 50`s Lesters and about a dozen reissues/replicas and it leaves them all at the starting line. Most recent addition is a 1959 Guild M 65(Freshman) but I`m just not boding with it. My style does not lend itself very well to a full hollowbody LP with a P90.

8. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

Acoustics, yes. A handful. Can name chapter and verse of them. I am lucky enough to own a couple.
    The truly great ones--the one percenters are a different breed.
    TJ Thompson said that guitars like this get into your head and won't get out. They mess your relationships, make you want to sell your car and your real estate, and generally drive you crazy. But it's all worth it because you've got a magical guitar.
    He's right. (although I didn't have to go into hock to get mine, I did a few crazy things.)

9. MartinC

MartinC Member

I think so:
    - Fender 196x custom shop Strat relic (GC on Sunset Blvd, Easter 2003). Didn't buy it :jo
    - Suhr Classic. Bought it :D
    - PRS Modern Eagle last weekend ... I'm not sold on humbuckers but the guitar was flawless, effortless to play and was alive with vibrations

No doubt there are greater ones, but the above three guitars are/were noticably a cut above anything else I've ever picked up.

10. ugacrow

ugacrow Member

I have several very good guitars, but nothing truly great.

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

12. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Two guitars that I was forced to sell many years ago. :(
    A blond Epiphone Howard Roberts and an acoustic Gibson L-5.
    Gone but sadly not forgotten.

13. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Though I've had guitars that were about as good as you could hope for over the years right now most of what I currently have is "truy great".

I don't say this because they are certain models but rather, in my eyes, perfect examples.
    There is nothing that they lack and nothing I would change.
    They ring and sing and all have outstanding bloom.

I was fortunate to find each one but it was careful diligence in picking them also.

Don't get impatient when buying!

They are;
    '56 Relic Strat
    Dave's '52 Relic Tele
    Martin HD 28V
    '59 Historic 335

The rest are so close to these but I would have to be forced to the point of no other choice to part with any of the above.

14. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I've had my Collings 290 for a year and a half now and the honeymoon hasn't ended yet ... it is a great guitar IMHO.

15. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

McInturff Taurus Custom.
    I have several guitars that I think are excellent, but my McInturff is truly something special.

16. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I've owned plenty of guitars, my 2 PRSi and my '62 AVRI Fender Strat are really great axes and won't be sold unless I really, really, really, REALLY need the money. I've tried enough guitars to know when I've found some that are special and I'm not letting go of them.

17. hudpucker

hudpucker Supporting Member

Yes; 2 out of about 30 over the years. I'm a very picky and persnickety mofo, too. LOL.

Neither are (or will be) for sale.

18. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

I think I'm pretty fortunate to own some really great guitars but I recently purchased a Briggs Saturn Deluxe which seems to be in a class of it's own.
    Something very special about this guitar.

19. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

great thread... yes I've owned a lot of guitars over the years... probably over 100... and some were just great.. a lot were not... but one particular strat still haunts me.... it wasn't even valueable... it was a late 80's MIJ 62 reissue strat... I had it reradiused and refretted with jumbo fretwire.. and some Seymour Alnico 2 singles and a genuine early 60's strat trem added...
    now it was just amazing.... it really was better than ANY other guitar I've ever had... and I sold it like a fool thinking I could re create it at a later time.... how wrong I was..... no matter how hard I've tried in the following years I can't find a guitar thats even close...
    moral of the story.....
    if you find a great guitar....DON'T EVER LET IT GO....:p

20. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Play any of the new 22-fret Carvins. Their carved-top single cut model is just plain SWEET. I think it would make a new Les Paul blush. The carved hollowbody one is awesome too. I wish I had the bucks for those two.

About 6 or 8 years ago, I got to play around with a mint '59 Les Paul Double Cutaway for a few hours. Best vintage guitar I ever had the pleasure of putting my hands on.

Currently, I only own 2 guitars, believe it or not, but I'm really into both of them. One is an '88 Strat Plus (w/ the original gold Lace Sensor p/u's) that has an especially sweet neck that's really softened up around the edges over the last 20 years. Unfortunately a couple frets need replacing (Please check out refret question thread that I have up- Need help).

My other guitar is a Dean Evo SS (I got a deal on it) that's got nice woods, a great neck, and killer sustain. I changed the tuners and swapped out the pickups for a pair of Seth Lovers and now the thing sounds like a '57 Les Paul and plays like a PRS. Great for the $500 total that I've got into it (Bridge/tailpiece swap comes next).