1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you ever played an electric guitar so much, for so long, that it just wore out?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Clean Channel, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Gearaddict

Gearaddict Member

I've worn my Harmony Rocket's frets out, same with a cheap Crestline acoustic. The Rocket is still somewhat playable and a refret isn't worth it, so I just don't play it much anymore.

Nothing like Ted Nugent's Byrdlands. He's Willie Nelsoned them riding the volume knobs.

2. rwijaya

rwijaya Member

I wore out the frets on my number one strat recently. It's need re-crowning as the luthier told me. Might need re-fretting in a year maybe if i'm going at this rate.

It's also interesting how frets wear can really tells where you are in your playing skills.

My luthier told me that he notices that i wear lots more higher frets than just the standard cowboy shapes area last time i had my strat re-cowned and he asked me for a jam and then he said that as he suspected that my playing has been improving since the last time i met him.

I found this fascinating. anyway, i'm just sharing.

I haven't wore out all my guitars in a point where its un useable for playing/gigging. I don't think i will ever will, since i babied all of my instrument, maybe if they all get wiped in a flood one day. God forbid.

OH! and i wore the volume pot a lots, since i use that. I have to replace that regularly, maybe once a year thing on my main strat.

3. smcgov

smcgov Member

My 1984 LP studio is pretty worn out, it was my only guitar for about 10 years, during which I played out a lot. Probably needs new frets, new nut, the Khaler is pinned and the finish is worn off the back.

4. immure

immure Member

I didn't know this was a thing. Out of curiosity, how many times can a guitar be refreted before the neck is done for?

5. Fulldrive-1

Fulldrive-1 Member

My early 70s Strat has had replacements of frets, tuners, pots, switch, and a pickup repair. Still rocking.

6. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Silver Supporting Member

I've got about 20 years on a couple and it's just about refret time. I'm gonna do it myself when I get some time. Two Strats, a Fender and my old G&L Legacy. I have already replaced the bridge saddles on the G&L once. I have played the living daylights out of that guitar. It is THE best sounding Strat I own by a long shot. It's an original 1992 from the first run.

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

Awesome!!!

8. ahab

ahab Member

Not yet, but I intend to wear out my R6 before I am worn out beyond repair.

9. tamader74

tamader74 Member

If you have the $$$ and desire, there is no such thing as a guitar played 'to death',...there just isn't. I've seen some of the work some Luthiers have done, and was simply amazed...Everything under the sun.

I saw an old late '80s MIJ Strat. was had the fret board so scalloped from play with a heavy hand (this was BAD) re-boarded/fretted, a top replaced/rebraced from a 30 ft. fall (unreal this one was, a old Gibson J-45 ...owner was gonna' eat a gun they were so upset, so I was told).

If you love the Instrument, and know a qualified Luthier, ain't nothing that can't be fixed. Sometimes there's to much flipping and not enough fixing/finding out what a repair will cost...those are the guitars I like to find, misfits (LOL). Tom

10. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

I have a Strat that's 7 yrs old and the frets are starting to wear out. Everything else looks fine. I am guessing I have one more year with it and then will do a refret job.

11. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Member

I've had my Tele since 1986. The wood, strap buttons, paint (what's left of it) and pickguard are all that's original.

12. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

I have an old Epiphone Wilshire that feels like its on its last days. It's just so light and feels like it could snap in half any day. There is a big crack on the back of the body everything feels delicate. I love it, but I am afraid to take it to gigs. The case just recently fell apart (handle snapped off and latch broke).

13. tamader74

tamader74 Member

My point is this,...if you've had 4 refrets on this guitar since '84, that means you have gigged it since '84 and used it 'as a tool', and I'm sure you have made some income/money from gigging the Instrument.

But, after close to 30 years of playing the guitar, and having no emotional attachment/comfort zone issues attached,...move on upward and onward...But the bottom line is, the Instrument IS repairable. Tom

14. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

^^^ That is a lovely guitar... WELL worth the restoring... :aok

15. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

This. If you've done too many refrets, you can replace the fretboard and start over.

16. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

My '89 LP Standard was my main guitar from '89 to '00.
    Two refrets, battle scars and completely wore the neck finish off.
    Finally replaced it with a '99 Historic R7.
    Then a few years later sold the '89 to a friend who had wanted it for years.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Blindjoedeath

Blindjoedeath Member

I wore out an acoustic but never an electric. Sometimes an acoustic can get played out and just doesn't sound right anymore. Other instruments seem to get better with age and sound "mature", for lack of a better word.

Of course, I'm talking about instruments that get played every day and gigged regularly in all sorts of conditions.

18. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Wearing out a guitar is evil. Therefore my wife must come to understand that many guitars are needed in order maximize rotation.

19. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Member

Im not really old enough to have this happen to any of my guitars any time soon haha. My very nice "nice" electric has a mildly warped neck now though, as well as a decent amount of fretwear. I havent played it in years though.

20. scott

scott Supporting Member

It would be cheaper and faster to just buy a new neck.
    A set neck is a different story.

That 89 LP a few posts up is awesome, I would have just kept playing it.
    That's cooler than any new historic IMO.