Have you ever sincerely regretted a guitar sale?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by disconnector, Feb 15, 2020.

1. haslar

haslar Member

A fantastic-sounding ‘60 jazzmaster I foolishly sold in order to buy a pair of Martin Logan speakers, that I sold for next-to-nothing a decade later.
    Tough lesson.

2. bluejaybill

bluejaybill Supporting Member

Yup. My '60 ES345, and I didn't get enough money for it when I sold it! But I didn't care for the thin neck and wasn't playing it much at the time.

And there have been others.

My first real guitar- '68 LP Custom in black, bought new.
    '67 L5CES- now I'm playing a lot more jazz!
    '61 Custom Telecaster in my sig
    '67 Custom Telecaster
    ....etc

And don't get me started on amps...

3. Urobouros

Urobouros Supporting Member

My '78 ES-347 will be the semi-hollow tone by which all others are judged...I still have the CR9 that the ES was sacrificed for but those Dirty Fingers still haunt me :oops:

I had a partscaster tele with a 65 T-top in the neck & custom overwound single coil in the bridge. The rest of parts were random but came together to make magic. But for the body being heavier than I like it was perfect. I was flipping like a junkie at the time & don't even remember what I sold it for. :rolleyes: If you bought one at Emerald City Guitars around 8 years ago I hope you know what you have!!

4. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Oh man...a Reverend Wolfman....a Blade Texas..

5. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

My avatar. Fender Hot Rodded American Fat Strat Texas Special.

6. JimmyGT

JimmyGT Member

Oh yes!
    Back in 1986, I had a Peavey T40 bass and a Peavey TNT bass amp. I tried playing bass, decided it wasn’t for me then ( since changed my mind!), so I traded it straight up for a (what I was told was a)’69 Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop that had some patina, repaired headstock, and a full size humbucker in the bridge position with a mini toggle switch to split the coils. ( I later called Mandolin Bros and according to the serial number it was a 1973-74, but I loved it anyway). A few years later in 1991 I wasnt playing much at all, if any, so I looked at it as money sitting around. I put it up on consignment at my local music store , and about a week later I changed my mind but it was too late, it had just sold and I got $400 for it. I still regret it to this day! I often wonder where it is today ( sold in northeasten NJ, Sweetest Sounds, Lyndhurst) I had that LP and probably will never have another one again, damn!

7. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    I had an immaculate '80 Ibanez AM50 Artist - the 3/4 size 335 style guitar. I can only plead temporary insanity for selling it. Definitely one that got away.

8. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I had a few that I should not have sold.

I had a stunning spalted Maple 7 string Ibanez J Custom. Man that thing was something else...even the neck had flamed maple in it. I did end up getting quite a bit more than I paid for it as I brought it in from Japan via an old friend. Still...that one haunts me.

I had a Jem 7V7 7-string. I should have kept that one as well. It was glorious! Again, due to the rarity of this one, a collector purchased it from me for more than I paid for it.

I had a beautiful Jem77FP2. This one had some special mojo to it. Foolish on my part. I traded it for an EBMM which of course, I sold because it just wasn’t for me. I tried another one but it just was not the same at all.

Another was a PRS Floyd custom 24 in charcoal. Beautiful guitar that I bought used for a great deal (now I know why...lol) but man, the neck would move for miles when I would go from home to rehearsal or live. I had to sell it. I remember bringing the straightedge to verify with me to a rehearsal and sure enough....after a few minutes out of the case, it was out of tune. Neck had much more relief than it should ever had had.

At this point though, the ones that I currently have are fabulous and while I miss the others, I’m not hurting in any way without them.

9. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I sold a 1976 Ibanez Johnny Smith L5 Copy. That guitar was so good. I really don't know what I was thinking when I sold it!

lamenlovinit likes this.
  10. noisebloom

noisebloom Member

My first serious guitar was a Charvel Model 2, which I truly loved. In the late 80s I decided to try to get into music production. I stopped playing, and I sold my Charvel and my late 70s butter yellow Strat. I never missed the Strat, which I never bonded with and hardly ever played. But selling the Charvel burned me up for years. I dreamed of having another, and when I started playing again I swore I'd have another Charvel. At one point I got darn close to getting a modern Charvel to take its place. I eventually got over it, and now a Charvel is no longer on my gas list. I've finally relegated the memory to the past, where I suppose it belongs.

11. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

The kind of guitars I'm talking about are exemplified by a '92 Chandler Austin Special I moved along. Licensed design from the dude who made custom guitars for Keith Richards. Loved the look. The playability was off the charts. But there are some guitars that work with low output pickups, and some that don't. This one didn't.

Wish I still had it for its weirdness factor. But if I did I would rarely if ever play it.

Your Ibanez sounds amazing. Maybe someday you can track one down.

12. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I would like to track one down but I think the price for an 1976 ibanez Johnny Smith copy would be quite high now. I bought mine when people really just looked at it as a used guitar.

13. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Sure did!!!

I had a '61 Les Paul Jr. (SG) w/OHSC and was in a financial bind. I sold it to a friend with the agreement that when I was better off that I could buy it back.

Just after I got my tax refund I contacted him to buy it back and he refused to sell it back to me.

Now he's a former friend.

14. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I sold a few that I shouldn't have - a '75 L5-S, and the cream '76 LP Custom that replaced it. Sold a lovely Standard-80 because it'd lost some of its warmth and liveliness after a neck repair. I had a '74 reissue '56 LPC Black Beauty which got stolen - to this day I still miss that one. In '90 when I was struggling to keep my first pro studio open I sold off most of my guitars and amps; kept only three favorites and a bass. A mistake, but at the time I couldn't have known.

15. Scottunes

Scottunes Member

YES! Many times! Amp sales too...

16. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Member

Only one. My ibanez artist 100 sunburst. Traded it in for a 92 Les Paul Studio. Still have the Les Paul. Great guitar. I still remember the guy at George's Music in North Wales PA saying he could only give me $125 for it. It had a funny all plastic case from Sears with foam lining.

17. Auriemma

Auriemma Member

I regret 2 guitars I've sold.
    - 1991 Fender Strat Plus (Wilkinson/Lace Golds). It was a 27th birthday present from my wife. (Never sell a gift from your wife). Still, it was a stunning looker and player. No Strat I've played since could touch it.
    - 1969 Fender Mustang Competition (all original in Orange). Bought it for $200, sold it for $2500 (not enough). I will never see it's like again.
    That year I sold 13 guitars... those are the only two I regret.

18. CrispyTone

CrispyTone Member

Yes. 2001 re-issue of a Yamaha SGV700. I modded it, it fit me perfectly, played great. Every day I think about that guitar.